Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Live Camera Access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed 2021.36.8 yesterday on my 2018 AWD LR M3 with Premium Connectivity. Excited to check out app view of Sentry Mode. Yes, I’ve done the in-car set up with security. On the app, the car image appears with the four quadrants, the front is “highlighted.” However, all I get is a spinner and no visual. Car is parked in my garage. Does it need to be in a strange place for some reason? Any ideas? [Edit: Both the car and the app are on WiFi.]

Last edited:
@delfonique - Alright back to the drawing board then b/c I thought I had my answer below

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 7.31.53 PM.png

Hi again guys. so i have a 2021 model 3 sr plus built in february. when i first got the car the phone key worked all the time but lately seems to only connect less than half the time. i have to open the app on my phone when im right next to the car even though i leave the app running in the backround. now i have just downloaded the update to view sentry mode cameras on the app and they will not connect unless im at home using wifi connection. the phone is an iphone 7 running on boost lte network which boost told me they are upgrading their network to 5g in january. so has anyone else had any issues with this? i tried turning bluetooth on and off, restarting phone, rebooting the vehicle, removing and adding the phone to the car again and nothing seems to help. any suggestions or anything else i could try? thanks for your help!

Hi again guys. so i have a 2021 model 3 sr plus built in february. when i first got the car the phone key worked all the time but lately seems to only connect less than half the time. i have to open the app on my phone when im right next to the car even though i leave the app running in the backround. now i have just downloaded the update to view sentry mode cameras on the app and they will not connect unless im at home using wifi connection. the phone is an iphone 7 running on boost lte network which boost told me they are upgrading their network to 5g in january. so has anyone else had any issues with this? i tried turning bluetooth on and off, restarting phone, rebooting the vehicle, removing and adding the phone to the car again and nothing seems to help. any suggestions or anything else i could try? thanks for your help!
Boost Mobile is basically a dead MVNO. It was Sprint's Pay as you go network and Sprint was bought by T-Mobile almost 2 years ago now, then sold to Dish network. Sprint, as a network, has already been shut down and transitioned over to T-Mo's subscriber base. As an MVNO, not only was Boost deprioritized by Sprint in favor of their subscribers, now, T-Mobile is shutting down the old CDMA portion of the network Boost was using and giving Dish the middle finger. (Dish and Boost were supposed to be given 7 years of access to T-Mobile's network, but I can guarantee you, the experience will be subpar,!)

There is no point for T-Mobile to put any money into helping the Dish/Boost subscriber base. If I were you, I'd move to Verizon or T-Mobile, whichever has the fastest speeds in your area.

thanks for reply. i do have premium connectivity. so i tapped the bluetooth icon on screen in car. searched for the iphone there then paired again. i can now see model 3 on my iphone under bluetooth devices it says connected. as soon as i get out of the car and close the door the phone shows disconnected even if im standing right next to the car. is that normal? cameras will still not load in app

Boost Mobile is basically a dead MVNO. It was Sprint's Pay as you go network and Sprint was bought by T-Mobile almost 2 years ago now, then sold to Dish network. Sprint, as a network, has already been shut down and transitioned over to T-Mo's subscriber base. As an MVNO, not only was Boost deprioritized by Sprint in favor of their subscribers, now, T-Mobile is shutting down the old CDMA portion of the network Boost was using and giving Dish the middle finger. (Dish and Boost were supposed to be given 7 years of access to T-Mobile's network, but I can guarantee you, the experience will be subpar,!)

There is no point for T-Mobile to put any money into helping the Dish/Boost subscriber base. If I were you, I'd move to Verizon or T-Mobile, whichever has the fastest speeds in your area.
ok so even though boost says its switching to 5g in january and are telling everyone to order the new sim card which i did you think the problem is just the boost network all together?

ok so even though boost says its switching to 5g in january and are telling everyone to order the new sim card which i did you think the problem is just the boost network all together?
I wouldn't use a network run by Dish. It was already on the worst network under Sprint, now it's the red headed stepchild of Dish, who doesn't even have its own 5G infrastructure!

Let's put it this way. Dish is supposed to build out its own 5G network from scratch. Until it can build one, it has to rely on T-Mobile (and now apparently Dish is trying to get capacity from AT&T again!) You are on the bottom rung. If you live in an Urban, large city, I'm surprised you get any good DL speeds.

I'm not sure if it's a network issue for you or some setting on your phone? I'm actually surprised anyone is still using Boost mobile!

It definitely works on your home Wi-Fi. Tesla wouldn’t want to be footing the data bill when the car is connected to Wi-Fi. Same as you have to be connected to Wi-Fi to download software updates so Tesla doesn’t have to foot the data bill.
yes it works on wifi but when you are not on wifi shouldnt the camera viewing feature on your phone be working regardless? that would be important if parked somewhere while shopping or something like that?

I wouldn't use a network run by Dish. It was already on the worst network under Sprint, now it's the red headed stepchild of Dish, who doesn't even have its own 5G infrastructure!

Let's put it this way. Dish is supposed to build out its own 5G network from scratch. Until it can build one, it has to rely on T-Mobile (and now apparently Dish is trying to get capacity from AT&T again!) You are on the bottom rung. If you live in an Urban, large city, I'm surprised you get any good DL speeds.

I'm not sure if it's a network issue for you or some setting on your phone? I'm actually surprised anyone is still using Boost mobile!
ok thanks. interesting take on this. probably will consider switching networks just need this new feature working with all the crime and everything going up everywhere.

Reactions: LBM4
well guys heres an update i also have an ipod touch connected to the car and i think the car was constantly looking for the ipod rather than the phone even though i didnt have either set to a priority device but i switched to connect to iphone and for now i can see the cameras on the app now while wifi is turned off on the phone and its just on the lte network but once again thanks for everyones help here.

Installed 2021.36.8 yesterday on my 2018 AWD LR M3 with Premium Connectivity. Excited to check out app view of Sentry Mode. Yes, I’ve done the in-car set up with security. On the app, the car image appears with the four quadrants, the front is “highlighted.” However, all I get is a spinner and no visual. Car is parked in my garage. Does it need to be in a strange place for some reason? Any ideas? [Edit: Both the car and the app are on WiFi.]
Solved my own problem. I deleted the Tesla app from my iPad. Evidently, the iPhone and the iPad were competing For attention with the car. Works fine now that the iPad has been removed.

It definitely works on your home Wi-Fi. Tesla wouldn’t want to be footing the data bill when the car is connected to Wi-Fi. Same as you have to be connected to Wi-Fi to download software updates so Tesla doesn’t have to foot the data bill.

It doesn’t work on Wi-Fi from the car side, but I think this all needs a bit more clarification.

The video stream is relayed through Tesla servers, so as long as your device (so far, only iOS) can access their servers you can view the video - doesn’t matter if you’re on cell or Wi-Fi,
Just like any controls from the app.

However, the car appears to only send the stream through its cell connection. If you’re getting the video feed while connected to - for example - your home Wi-Fi, it’s because your car is also using the cell service.

We get low-to-no Tesla cell service in our garage (and ATT is bad in this area) it I’ve got an AP close to the garage, we were showing horror movies from a projector in the driveway for Halloween :D (via AppleTV/Wi-Fi)

So I get no live video stream, but total access to the car otherwise - cell or Wi-Fi, even from my iPad that’s Wi-Fi only.

If I pull the car out of the garage, I get a super sketchy stream, but it works, because it lets the car’s cell connect.

I hope they do decouple it from the premium connectivity service, the couple of places I’d use it I would also have Wi-Fi (or I could leave a portable AP in the car)