Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not recording events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine recorded 3 sentry mode events today. For the first time ever since I got the car on June 12th. They're all 1 minute and a half each and all had someone walking by the car either beside or behind. I didn't have any updates or anything in the last day or so. I've had 4.18.3 for a week now.

Mine recorded 3 sentry mode events today. For the first time ever since I got the car on June 12th. They're all 1 minute and a half each and all had someone walking by the car either beside or behind. I didn't have any updates or anything in the last day or so. I've had 4.18.3 for a week now.
Interesting. I am on .2. When they fix it, they’ll let us know. It’s on again / off again, which is not how it’s supposed to work. It should be unaffected by the radar as that wouldn’t pick up someone coming from the side, for example. It’s got to be a bug, but I think their dev team is super focused on v11 for the new Ss.

As they have more an more variant vehicles out there - eg original S and X with no AP, then AP1, then AP2, etc and the different screen configurations - it will be harder and harder for them to thoroughly test updates across the products and things like this may be more prevalent.

As with all things Tesla, they will absolutely fix it, they just won’t communicate on timing n

I will add, there’s something going on with Sentry because if I have it “on”, it’s still draining 1 mi/h of range - so it’s drawing power. If I turn it off, I don’t get that drain. So it’s like it’s on, but can’t detect motion reliably.

It IS frustrating because a $29 home security camera from Amazon can detect and record motion. That said, they’ll fix it. I’d rather sentry not work than lane change!

• Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod
I bet using only camera from sentry they will have to fine tune the notifications… thinking about my home cameras and is easy for just a tree branch moving to set them off if tuned wrong…hopefully fix involves adjusting to vision only events to block out the ‘noise’? just a theory

I bet using only camera from sentry they will have to fine tune the notifications… thinking about my home cameras and is easy for just a tree branch moving to set them off if tuned wrong…hopefully fix involves adjusting to vision only events to block out the ‘noise’? just a theory
That would make sense if Sentry was new, but it’s been in the cars for 3 years or so detecting motion, etc and yes, it does have plenty of false positives, but better that than to miss an event. They’ll fix it.

My sentry mode seemed to go crazy today (~1 week old radar-less MYP). The first clip was 10 minutes long, of me driving to the mall, and yes it was tagged as a sentry clip, not a dashcam clip. Then after that, I have about 2 hours worth of clips that are like 55seconds long, one for every minute while parked. Guessing maybe that's because the provided Tesla USB stick couldn't keep up to just record non-stop or something? Thankfully there's nothing else that I need to keep on the drive, so I think I'll just format it, since I didn't see an easy way to delete 100+ clips.

I'm wondering if a possible workaround would be to simply enable dashcam before exiting the vehicle? Per the owner's manual it should work as long as the vihicle is on.
The video is actually being recorded if Sentry mode is active. The problem is that the car cannot raise the alarm and save the video to sentry folder. I parked my car and returned in about half an hour, then reviewed the "recent" camera and found out the recording for the entire parked duration. Of course the recent recording is subject to the 1 hour rotation. And there is nothing to scare potential intruders.

I installed 2021.4.18.10 on my Model Y today and I am now finally able to get Sentry mode to work! I purchased the car about 2 weeks ago (with 2021.4.18.2) and had been doing everything under the sun to try to get it to trigger without any luck. After today's software upgrade I've been able to trigger it a number of times. Yea!

Reactions: Greg007 and jjgg
I installed 2021.4.18.10 on my Model Y today and I am now finally able to get Sentry mode to work! I purchased the car about 2 weeks ago (with 2021.4.18.2) and had been doing everything under the sun to try to get it to trigger without any luck. After today's software upgrade I've been able to trigger it a number of times. Yea!

18.10! Finally…all is right.
This is very good to hear! My car is currently downloading 18.10 as I type this!
I wonder if this version is specifically for those whose sentry mode doesn't work. I've seen people who just got 18.21 so I'm not sure what that's about. But I'm just glad that this will fix sentry mode.

This is very good to hear! My car is currently downloading 18.10 as I type this!
I wonder if this version is specifically for those whose sentry mode doesn't work. I've seen people who just got 18.21 so I'm not sure what that's about. But I'm just glad that this will fix sentry mode.
I've just checked after seeing your post, and to my delight the update shows up for me as well.

I have a 2021 MY delivered March 15th with version 2021.12.25.7 and I am now having issues with sentry recordings.
I get back to the car and it tells me I have sentry events and click to view,
I turn on the viewer and all I see is the rolling 1 hour recording and no red dot on the timeline where the event or events occurred.
Before this update it worked fine, with a red dot on the timeline.
The USB stick is the same one that came with the car in the glove box.
I contacted service and they said
"there is currently a firmware bug that Tesla is trying to resolve and will be rectified with an upcoming update"
Anybody else run across this?

Hi, I was wondering if people's sentry mode problems have been fixed? I picked up my car Aug 2021 and the sentry mode has not been working. I have the 2021.32.21 update for the car. The car alerts me that there are events, but it either doesn't record the events or it records a 1/2 second clip of me opening the door. Also, when sentry mode gets triggered, the headlights do not flash, just the screen saying that recording is in progress. I am currently using the USB that came with the car. I put in a request for service and they have been trying to remotely help me with the problem with no luck.

Reactions: mohy_23
Hi, I was wondering if people's sentry mode problems have been fixed? I picked up my car Aug 2021 and the sentry mode has not been working. I have the 2021.32.21 update for the car. The car alerts me that there are events, but it either doesn't record the events or it records a 1/2 second clip of me opening the door. Also, when sentry mode gets triggered, the headlights do not flash, just the screen saying that recording is in progress. I am currently using the USB that came with the car. I put in a request for service and they have been trying to remotely help me with the problem with no luck.

There definitely still seems to be issues with Sentry Mode. I have the exact same experiences as you. I have had multiple visits from mobile techs about this and none have any good answers or solutions. I have tried the recommended SanDisk high performance SD card as opposed to the stock USB drive that Tesla provides, no change.

This screenshot is old, but this is what happens also from time to time (when you try to play one of the events). Makes me have no faith in the system that it will work as expected if something bad actually happens to the car.

o2nbEPxRgmJK68mFZTHgm3afJQwFJfyex_RkQN80xZ-RJ-KFCLoz2_CbJIeWRd_kFZkGbir-F--Gx_Eg9_oRfsll0yrirQ1C_P8inLGVFgGELOWJjrMP2MqIaKxBqVuACdcACEBSTrzR4Cxh7ihLCtZ6AQEuvTYm7ZnUjYZfNXy-hxXH1r140O_38FFW8cQqcuIfj5fqSoHe0Gha0rsMavVeSmvkqdTjFE_I2nmP1ukwJYqHHPt10L3XilhgF9JBzIt1_GAveQgJmVEy_kGjM_iHVFLIuuEccrTuei0V2HMuz1FHQMrRksGSAn_F8nKaaT1M-cuF7LeFQ2lRGotp0cF5qkT3RdeCO5iMd2F72Z7lM_YvJyjPIgw94tC1u_4-reEp_otWZkkmwWH1raY3rChYg2bYkUQGg98OjOcjh6uM-nHr6BrKcQ_uyor2hAo8h4N5uvvhLgbsnlE1iX9gCT13aVOQVztCCic84XuS1k9coUoDkQ0FoCGyhJAye-9nksl-SosCDValyDlMto1BUKycHzkxF7x4T_fNhh_DMZRVQ0CWRUgJcEPXXen_hiEue1MiVBj_-jxHq9RNbLWr5xQoy1x1j_mcxi5JRpmtzSxswvblWH4G3vr-tMdsL-RitYpNNtyIs2C_Hdkf7giA_8STjdQKXCdvXepmtXJvYK-RMdhGEgVt-CzCIHAl3XTCl8-Sqc6HuVKArVibT9jPk8N_=w1730-h1297-no

Reactions: mohy_23