Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issues with the dash cam on my car with the little red x. I did a couple reboots which would fix the issue for a short while but I would get the red x again. Then I unplugged and then reinserted the thumb drive and it’s been good since.
This is pretty much the symptoms that I had. After I had the mobile service, I can honestly say I have not had any issues since. It's been 6 months now.

Upvote 0
I had a mobile service appointment setup, but Tesla cancelled it and said this is a known software issue on the FSD software release. Per the service station, I had to email Tesla and ask for the updated software, which will fix the issue. I emailed Tesla on Wednesday and I'm still waiting for a response.

I am hoping the example in this thread of the USB module needing replacement isn't the right fix and that Tesla isn't just delaying the inevitable. I'll try their way first though, just odd this isn't more widespread on the forums if it really is a software issue.

Upvote 0
I had a mobile service appointment setup, but Tesla cancelled it and said this is a known software issue on the FSD software release. Per the service station, I had to email Tesla and ask for the updated software, which will fix the issue. I emailed Tesla on Wednesday and I'm still waiting for a response.

I am hoping the example in this thread of the USB module needing replacement isn't the right fix and that Tesla isn't just delaying the inevitable. I'll try their way first though, just odd this isn't more widespread on the forums if it really is a software issue.
Everybody, or a bunch of folks, would have reported this issue. I have FSD Beta, and this has never affected me.

Reactions: TheClash603
Upvote 0
I had the same issue. When in Park, open the Controls menu and at the bottom where it sways Sentry, make sure there is a red dot. If not, tap it. Should be good to go then.
I checked and sentry is on in all menus, still having the same issue.

The icing on the cake is today I got a pretty big ding in my door, looks like someone slammed their door into my Tesla. Best part of the ordeal? Sentry mode wasn't recording and I have no idea what happened.

Good thing (1) my service appointment was canceled and (2) my email to Tesla per the service station has not been answered. I'm not pleased at all with Tesla right now, one of the best features of the car is just broken and now I either need to live with a dent or pay out of pocket.

Upvote 0
@TheClash603 - Oh man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Good paintless dent repairs guys for about $200 can do miracles and get out some pretty bad dings. You may want to give that a try.

Other than the tiny red dot turning into a tiny red "'X" there is no warning when the car stops recording. You can go a long time not knowing it isn't recording. My cheap dash cams starts beeping when there is a problem that prevents them from recording. We should not have to worry about something so basic intermittently failing until you reformat or unplug it. Given this has happened now on 3 new Teslas with me including a new Tesla dealer loaner, it's not an isolated issue. I recently installed a hub in my glove box to power my dash cam and to plug in the thumb drive. I also ordered a Samsung 256GB thumb drive to replace the factory Tesla 128GB drive. It's been a couple of weeks and so far no red x. If the red x doesn't appear again perhaps it's just lower quality thumb drives Tesla is using. Either way, now that I have a dash cam behind my rear view mirror, I'm not that concerned about missing the red x showing up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've used two Samsung SSDs and the Tesla thumb drive that comes with the car, all of them not working the same way. This is the SSD, which is listed many places as the best drive for sentry mode.

It's been another week since I emailed Tesla for the software fix my service center said would fix my issue, still nothing has been pushed to me. I've been left stranded at a dead-end.

At this point my sentry works about 30% of the time after I unplug and replug the drive 20 times. I've given up on it, Tesla has won by beating me into submission for not caring. Coming from German automobiles before this, I'm not used to this lack of care from an automaker, very disappointing.

Upvote 0
I've used two Samsung SSDs and the Tesla thumb drive that comes with the car, all of them not working the same way. This is the SSD, which is listed many places as the best drive for sentry mode.

It's been another week since I emailed Tesla for the software fix my service center said would fix my issue, still nothing has been pushed to me. I've been left stranded at a dead-end.

At this point my sentry works about 30% of the time after I unplug and replug the drive 20 times. I've given up on it, Tesla has won by beating me into submission for not caring. Coming from German automobiles before this, I'm not used to this lack of care from an automaker, very disappointing.
Tesla really does have dismal service compared not only to other premium priced auto makers, but even compared to every other auto maker. What is interesting is that Tesla has pretty dismal service ratings, but very high customer satisfaction rating. Many Tesla owners act like it's sacrilegious to complain about anything using the mentality that you knew what you were getting into before you bought one so shut up and put up. For now they can get away with it because of market conditions. But once more EV options become available there will be large numbesr of defections all things being equal for cars with better service, UI/tech, even if they don't have the great acceleration of Teslas. As soon as I can buy another EV with the same performance as my Tesla, at the same or lower cost, I will would not buy a Tesla again unless they dramatically stepped up their level of service.

Upvote 0

Morning. I noticed you mentioned emailing them about a software fix, have you opened a mobile service ticket? Your symptoms sound very similar to my experience. The mobile guys were able to see the log of my drives working/not working in a manner like yours. They replaced my USB hub and I have not had issues since.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys I also have sentry issue with software 2022.44.25.3 where sentry can be triggered but no videos can be viewed. If I reformat the usb, it will work one or two times but some time later it can't save clips again. I have checked recent folder in the viewer And i can see it is recording the past 60 mins Just not able to save the sentry event related 10 mins. Tried with factory usb stick And Samsung T7 ssd both have the same issue. Do you guys think it is software issue or usb port hardware issue? Many thanks!

Upvote 0
The Recent Folder stores the last about 60 minute of the recording "in real time". It then starts writing over the older material keeping about 60 of the most current minutes. The Saved Folder is when you save a clip by pressing the icon, horn beeping, or other way to save the last 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
The Recent Folder stores the last about 60 minute of the recording "in real time". It then starts writing over the older material keeping about 60 of the most current minutes. The Saved Folder is when you save a clip by pressing the icon, horn beeping, or other way to save the last 10 minutes.
so if i can see my video in Recent Folder, then it means my usb is working fine. Just somehow sentry mode is not willing to save that related 10mins in to the Saved Folder. Is my assumption right?

Upvote 0
Within the "TeslaCam" folder, there are three
sub-folders: Recent Clips, Saved Clips, and
Sentry Clips. T he footage in Recent Clips
constantly loops in a 60-minute cycle when
the cameras are activated. Therefore, the
footage is constantly being overwritten every
hour unless the footage is saved. When an
event is recorded, one video is recorded for
each of the front, rear (available on vehicles
manufactured after approximately February
2018), left, and right cameras.

Saved footage is located in either the Saved
Clips or Sentry Clips folder. Footage in the
Saved Clips folder contains all saved
recordings from dashcam, which have been
manually saved by touching the dashcam icon
on the touchscreen. Sentry Clips contains all
saved footage from Sentry Mode events,
which have been automatically saved when
the Alert or Alarm state was triggered. Once
footage of a particular event is saved, the
latest 10 minutes of video is archived in your
flash drive labeled with a unique timestamp.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Upvote 0
Within the "TeslaCam" folder, there are three
sub-folders: Recent Clips, Saved Clips, and
Sentry Clips. T he footage in Recent Clips
constantly loops in a 60-minute cycle when
the cameras are activated. Therefore, the
footage is constantly being overwritten every
hour unless the footage is saved. When an
event is recorded, one video is recorded for
each of the front, rear (available on vehicles
manufactured after approximately February
2018), left, and right cameras.

Saved footage is located in either the Saved
Clips or Sentry Clips folder. Footage in the
Saved Clips folder contains all saved
recordings from dashcam, which have been
manually saved by touching the dashcam icon
on the touchscreen. Sentry Clips contains all
saved footage from Sentry Mode events,
which have been automatically saved when
the Alert or Alarm state was triggered. Once
footage of a particular event is saved, the
latest 10 minutes of video is archived in your
flash drive labeled with a unique timestamp.
Very informative! Thanks for the explain! I guess my next step is trying out other micro SD card and I heard it is better endurance in constant writing to see if it resolve the issue…

Upvote 0