Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this is as good a place as any to mention these. I have two "beefs" with sentry mode:

(1) For some reason, sentry mode suffers from the typical Tesla smearing artifacts but dashcam recordings NEVER do. Not sure why this is (reduced power possibly). I've tried four different drives including endurance cards, the Tesla card that came in the car, a standard SanDisk, and what I'm using now: a Samsung T5 SSD. They all do it no matter how they are formatted: tried in the computer, different formats, formatting in the car, etc.

(2) I tweeted Elon about this but him noticing it would be like winning the lottery. We need a sensitivity adjustment for sentry mode. For a while, I thought sentry mode wasn't working because I knew I left the car with no other cars around in a lot, come back, and there is a car parked on either side of me plus I know traffic moved behind in the rows. No sentry events. I finally figured out it is doing some sort of AI to determine threats: people walking close, opening a door close to the car, etc. This is great to avoid false triggers... BUT there are times when I'd like it to be more sensitive or even "Capture all movement".

Mike

I guess this is as good a place as any to mention these. I have two "beefs" with sentry mode:

(1) For some reason, sentry mode suffers from the typical Tesla smearing artifacts but dashcam recordings NEVER do. Not sure why this is (reduced power possibly). I've tried four different drives including endurance cards, the Tesla card that came in the car, a standard SanDisk, and what I'm using now: a Samsung T5 SSD. They all do it no matter how they are formatted: tried in the computer, different formats, formatting in the car, etc.

(2) I tweeted Elon about this but him noticing it would be like winning the lottery. We need a sensitivity adjustment for sentry mode. For a while, I thought sentry mode wasn't working because I knew I left the car with no other cars around in a lot, come back, and there is a car parked on either side of me plus I know traffic moved behind in the rows. No sentry events. I finally figured out it is doing some sort of AI to determine threats: people walking close, opening a door close to the car, etc. This is great to avoid false triggers... BUT there are times when I'd like it to be more sensitive or even "Capture all movement".

Mike
It’s easy to test…put the car into Sentry Mode and start acting suspiciously around it…it should report it as an event

Agree that sensitivity adjustment would be nice. So many clips for raindrops and why does it trigger when I (the person with the connected mobile key) walk by before opening the door?

As for reformatting, I never do since I’ve got music on a partition of my T5. I do regularly remove saved clips either manually or using the new delete button which always requires a little non-intuitive hunting.

Definitely annoyed by the occasional artifacts as well as occasional failures due to cold and/or my choice to use a hub.

Sentry Mode uses so much battery...about a mile an hour...but the worst part is it only catches the same guy every time...but he does look shifty and I wouldn’t want him hanging around my car...he often has a scruffy looking dog with him...apart from that I love Sentry Mode👍

Took me a minute to recognize you were describing yourself and your dog. 😂

C11tiUCUoAAxK05.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba