Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode rather useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a software update this weekend that included Sentry Mode. It caught a teenager messing around with my P3D. I think it is a terrific upgrade. If the teen had actually done any harm, I could've identified him (another video clearly illustrates his license plate). If nothing else, the onscreen warning had some sort of deterrent effect (maybe).
How are you downloading the files in the 3x video view like in your Youtube link? TIA!

Reactions: Glamisduner
The file folders should be sentry, sentry event, recent, and saved. Presently it's a cluster. Sentry in my car records everything moving on the street not just someone close to the car so it's impossible to know what is what. I had a bear mess with my car and it took me way to long to find the footage. He tried to open the handle until a neighbor chased him away on camera of course.
Video or it didn't happen! :D

For those who are familiar with Raspberry Pi, For about $35-$40 you can can have a Pi Zero W act as a USB drive and it it auto-uploads any Saved Clips to an SMB share when you get in-range of your home wifi.

Instructions here: marcone/teslausb - be sure to use the one step setup instructions - it's pretty straight forward.

You just leave it plugged in your car's usb all the time and it will auto-upload any clips when you get home and then empty the Saved Clips folder so the drive doesn't fill up. I've been using this for a few weeks now and it works as advertised. Set-n-forget (at least so far)

Reactions: SDRick and Randy7fx
For those who are familiar with Raspberry Pi, For about $35-$40 you can can have a Pi Zero W act as a USB drive and it it auto-uploads any Saved Clips to an SMB share when you get in-range of your home wifi.

Instructions here: marcone/teslausb - be sure to use the one step setup instructions - it's pretty straight forward.

You just leave it plugged in your car's usb all the time and it will auto-upload any clips when you get home and then empty the Saved Clips folder so the drive doesn't fill up. I've been using this for a few weeks now and it works as advertised. Set-n-forget (at least so far)
While I would love to have this ability looking at those instructions made me feel stupid...or old...maybe both?

I use an OTG adapter and the TeslaCam app from Play store to look at the vids on my Pixel 3 phone. I used to look at every video, but you can only see so many people getting in and out of their cars and then you got tired of it. So now I just walk around the car occasionally and if I see everything looks fine, I delete all the files in the Savedclips folder (TeslaCam app let you do it will one press) using the phone. I never have to take the drive to the house and use the PC.

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS
Video or it didn't happen! :D
Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 2.57.22 PM.png

Video won't upload but here is part of it.

LOL! That is too cool! I can almost read his mind............."Dum de dum de.....HEY! That's a Tesla Model 3!" "MMmmm, I've heard a LOT about these from Riley Rabbit and Rocky Racoon." "I'd really like to take it for a spin and see what all the chatter is about." "Let's see....is the door unloc..." Neighbor: "Hey, Smokey!" "Get the hell away from there!!" Bear: "Aww CRAP!" "Pesky humans always messing things up!" LOL!

• Funny
Reactions: Saghost
I agree,

Until there is a way to playback videos on the screen it's a big waste.

You are supposed to bring a laptop with you when you drive.
If you leave it on the front seat, then you are sure to collect some useful sentry mode videos. :) :)

For the bear picture:
It is a good thing that the Tesla door handles are bear-proof...regular door handles have a place for bears to get their claws into.

Now to be a bit more serious.
The first upgrade for Sentry Mode is when you return and see that you had 20 alerts, is a DELETE button that you can press if your car is OK, else the dashcam record features stops working when your USB drive fills up.
You should also be able to choose to delete after x days.
Reviewing the video on screen should also be a feature
- display all 3 videos at once; be able to tap to save
- fast review mode: use a little AI...fast forward past the boring stuff and slow down when a person is seen

For the bear picture:
It is a good thing that the Tesla door handles are bear-proof...regular door handles have a place for bears to get their claws into.

For Model 3. For Model X... the bear just has to hit the right part and the FWD will open! The bear could walk in 2 legged and look down at you in the front seat.

But that bear pic is too funny.

• Funny
Reactions: Saghost
Sentry Mode like all Tesla software will get better over time.
Tesla is the only car manufacturer that makes your car better than when you bought it with over the air updates.
Sentry Mode is great and will only get better.

Unless the user base (everyone here) complains (or offers constructive criticism) there won't be enough real world feedback for Tesla to make it better.

The USB was apparently badly inserted, but Tesla keeps a Cloud copy for 72 hours of the movies. I came back to a broken window and no USB movies but I still have video after calling my Service Center.
I returned to a badly dented door and found that the thumb drive had filled the day before so Sentry mode had stopped recording. I contacted Tesla via customer support chat (the only way I could get someone to help) and was told in no uncertain terms customers cannot get copies of the uploaded video. Please let me (and us all!) know where you called and how you were able to get your video from Tesla. I have a large insurance deductible and even larger sense of satisfaction riding on it! TIA!

• Informative
Reactions: logan and Deal
I returned to a badly dented door and found that the thumb drive had filled the day before so Sentry mode had stopped recording. I contacted Tesla via customer support chat (the only way I could get someone to help) and was told in no uncertain terms customers cannot get copies of the uploaded video. Please let me (and us all!) know where you called and how you were able to get your video from Tesla. I have a large insurance deductible and even larger sense of satisfaction riding on it! TIA!
That is interesting. Do they own the video taken by an individual's privately owned vehicle? Why would they collect video and store it if not to distribute?