Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They damaged someones car, clearly realized they did so, and fled without reporting it or taking any responsibility.

Press charges. Also file insurance against them as well.

Discourage them from doing it again in a way simply filing an insurance claim won't.

When it comes to stuff like this sometimes you just feel the principle of the thing is worth pursuing. My husband made the extra effort to take our dashcam footage of our smash, and well foiled grab since nothing to take, to the police and left them a copy and filed a report. He had to go to 2 stations as well. Even though they pretty much told him outright nothing would happen, it just doesn't sit right to let scummy people off. If they get away with it, you can bet they won't even give it a second thought to do the right thing if it happens again. No consequences. I can't imagine how much money the damage caused but I know our broken window back in 2017 ran something like $1200.

Last edited:
Just want to offer update. I was informed I can file police report yesterday evening at San Jose sheriff's office. However when I got there, they told me I need to file in Cupertino Sheriff's so although I reported them and gave license plate info, I still have to go there in person to file it and have them inspect my car. They asked me over the phone if my footage showed that they were aware they caused damage or if they just hit the vehicle unaware and took off. I told them they for sure saw the damage as the lady literally was in shock and stared at the camera with the a grin and then quickly got in the passenger side.

The officer told me that can be filed under a hit and run which is punishable by law in California. However, they seem to be pushing for me not to press charges and told me it is better to just let my insurance deal with it and they can provide the other party's information.

As much as I want to post the footage, I still want to preserve the other party's privacy even though what they did was very shady. Will keep you all updated.

I have to wonder if the police were encouraging you not to file because it meant they would have to follow up and even go to court. Sounds like it would be a winnable case. Personally I'm so sick of being a victim ourselves and seeing so many here have similar experiences and no one, who is suppose to be looking out for the public good here, wants to get involved. This just slips slowly into a lawless society if no one cares, and passing it off to insurance to pay just ends up costing all of us more money as it has to come from somewhere and victimizes us again.

Not to dampen everyone's excitement, this is likely to result in NO criminal charges being filed. If you actually want criminal justice resources devoted to this kind of thing, you've clearly never been the victim of a serious crime.

Even if the lady realized what she had done, it sounds like there was no malicious intent (e.g. different from a vandal). Therefore, a misdemeanor DA will quickly toss this out.

Hopefully insurance will take care of it swiftly.

I have to wonder if the police were encouraging you not to file because it meant they would have to follow up and even go to court. Sounds like it would be a winnable case. Personally I'm so sick of being a victim ourselves and seeing so many here have similar experiences and no one, who is suppose to be looking out for the public good here, wants to get involved. This just slips slowly into a lawless society if no one cares, and passing it off to insurance to pay just ends up costing all of us more money as it has to come from somewhere and victimizes us again.
The police didn't want to deal with it, period. We're supposed to believe they have better things to do...

Deal with it through the insurance company, like the police suggested. As angry as we can get about damage to our property, and as it seems this person knew what they did and left, it is still just a thing. That's why we have insurance. It may make you feel better temporarily to press charges, but is the potential impact on their life and livelyhood worth it. Is it really proportional? Take the high road, forgive and forget. Some day you will be glad you did.

Unfortunately California is becoming the look the other way State and let insurance pay or just accept and live with damage caused by others, which then becomes your fault when you do. Where do we draw the line, okay to let someone who broke into you car damaged and maybe took things, come to your home and do the same there? This is only heading in one direction and given the staggering numbers of crimes in this area we know which way.

Not to dampen everyone's excitement, this is likely to result in NO criminal charges being filed. If you actually want criminal justice resources devoted to this kind of thing, you've clearly never been the victim of a serious crime.

Even if the lady realized what she had done, it sounds like there was no malicious intent (e.g. different from a vandal). Therefore, a misdemeanor DA will quickly toss this out.

Hopefully insurance will take care of it swiftly.
This. In Colorado (if this were a crime) this would be considered criminal mischief. However, that constitutes intentionally or recklessly causing damage to another’s property. I don’t see how you could make the case for intentional or even reckless. This better fits a civil claim if it comes to that.

Well the lady got into the passenger side of the vehicle. I am sure the owner of the car knows this lady, but will he/she give up the identity of the person... "Lady? What lady?" *Show Video* "Oh.. the lady I gave a ride to the gas station because she ran out of gas?"

yup... no good deed goes unpunished!
Agreed. Even though I am super upset about the situation, the lady looks like she could be anyone's aunt or mother. Imagine if this is your family member getting exposed in public for something like this.

Insurance informed me it is the owner of the vehicle that will be held liable in this case and they will pursue the situation and handle the claim. At this stage, it is better to just get the claim settled and fix my car and move on. I'm sure when they get informed from the cops of the situation, they will at least get startled enough to think twice. I think that's enough to teach them a lesson to maybe be more careful in the future.

@Spice - Let me know how to edit the video to blur out the face/license plate. I think it would be really cool to show the incident as well as what TeslaCam is capable of.

So I was the one that got side swiped a few months ago in my model 3 and the TeslaCam somehow corrupted the last minute footage where the accident happened.

My car ended up being in the shop for over a month and just got it back on tuesday. Today I went out with my girl in Saratoga and came back to find someone had opened the door and slammed into my newly replaced and painted door and took off an entire chunk of paint and left. I literally felt like this is another nightmare situation again even though I kept my sentry mode activated.

Well, I just got home and decided to review the footage and lo and behold, the car captured the entire incident on the right cam. You see the lady get in her car, and swung her door open and hit mine, then had a surprised look on her face and stare right at my camera not knowing what to do before quickly getting in the passenger seat of their car and take off. Thankfully their car was parked racer status and when it was leaving, a car pass by and they had to stop which gave me perfect view of their license plate and model.

After the whole nightmare last time (still not settled), it looks like Tesla definitely redeemed itself lol. I just reported them to sheriff's department for hit and run.

tldr: Sentry mode isn't just for deterring break ins!
I hope they get 'em and make 'em pay.

I've been wondering because the tesla communicates with tesla home ( factory? ) and send information back.
Why can't it upload the files from the SD card to the cloud or our computers / phones?

It writes the files and I'm sure ( well pretty sure ) that it could read them as well and upload them if Tesla simply put that ability in the software. It would make Sentry Mode so much more useful.

Reactions: C141medic
Agreed. Even though I am super upset about the situation, the lady looks like she could be anyone's aunt or mother. Imagine if this is your family member getting exposed in public for something like this.

Insurance informed me it is the owner of the vehicle that will be held liable in this case and they will pursue the situation and handle the claim. At this stage, it is better to just get the claim settled and fix my car and move on. I'm sure when they get informed from the cops of the situation, they will at least get startled enough to think twice. I think that's enough to teach them a lesson to maybe be more careful in the future.

@Spice - Let me know how to edit the video to blur out the face/license plate. I think it would be really cool to show the incident as well as what TeslaCam is capable of.
They were in public so in the U.S. they have no expectation of privacy. You can post their pics no problem. Unless they are celebrities and that can become a sticky wicket.

I hope you or @Spice can blurr it. Would love to see what it shows whiteout showing the perp or plate.

Reactions: BayAreaBob

Do you have any video editing software? A real quick solution would be to create a blur mask and fix it to follow a point (such as a face or the car's plate).

If you upload it to YouTube as unlisted and send me a link I can also do it for you, and will send it back. I wouldn't be able to complete it till later tonight though.

Quick Update. Just got back from Sheriff's department. Had to wait outside until they can dispatch an officer to meet me in the Cupertino office and there was a Burglary in Saratoga so all the officers from Saratoga unit were there. A Cupertino officer came to help file the police report. He said they will treat the case as a hit and run situation.

I will look into a video editing software soon to hopefully provided an edited video.