Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was the one that got side swiped a few months ago in my model 3 and the TeslaCam somehow corrupted the last minute footage where the accident happened.

My car ended up being in the shop for over a month and just got it back on tuesday. Today I went out with my girl in Saratoga and came back to find someone had opened the door and slammed into my newly replaced and painted door and took off an entire chunk of paint and left. I literally felt like this is another nightmare situation again even though I kept my sentry mode activated.

Well, I just got home and decided to review the footage and lo and behold, the car captured the entire incident on the right cam. You see the lady get in her car, and swung her door open and hit mine, then had a surprised look on her face and stare right at my camera not knowing what to do before quickly getting in the passenger seat of their car and take off. Thankfully their car was parked racer status and when it was leaving, a car pass by and they had to stop which gave me perfect view of their license plate and model.

After the whole nightmare last time (still not settled), it looks like Tesla definitely redeemed itself lol. I just reported them to sheriff's department for hit and run.

tldr: Sentry mode isn't just for deterring break ins!

[ TEG mod edit: Adding video that was later provided ] :

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you and hope the cops get an arrest.

BTW on the first incident did you try stopping the video recording immediately after the sideswipe? If so since TeslaCam records in 1-minute increments and you don’t know where it is recording in that one minute timeframe, you should not stop it immediately but let maybe two minutes go by so as not to cut it off and corrupt what you are hoping to save to clip. Also, you can corrupt the recording if you forget to Pause the TeslaCam first before removing it from the USB connection.

Thanks for passing on how this latest recording went down. Can I assume you didn’t have any PPF on your car doors?

It would be nice to think with Tesla’s TeslaCam and Sentry Mode that over time more people will know about it and not park so close to Tesla’s to damage them. BTW where in Saratoga did this happen?

BTW on the first incident did you try stopping the video recording immediately after the sideswipe? If so since TeslaCam records in 1-minute increments and you don’t know where it is recording in that one minute timeframe, you should not stop it immediately but let maybe two minutes go by so as not to cut it off and corrupt what you are hoping to save to clip. Also, you can corrupt the recording if you forget to Pause the TeslaCam first before removing it from the USB connection.

Thanks for passing on how this latest recording went down. Can I assume you didn’t have any PPF on your car doors?

It would be nice to think with Tesla’s TeslaCam and Sentry Mode that over time more people will know about it and not park so close to Tesla’s to damage them. BTW where in Saratoga did this happen?
I only had ceramic coat on the car but did not even get a chance to get it reapplied since I got my car back from body shop this past Tuesday. I literally only had my car back less than a week and paint was still not fully cured. The entire chunk of clear coat and paint came off the car from the way she swung the door open. This was on Big Basin Way in Saratoga. I was parked in the public parking spot behind the plaza where Hong's cafe is I think.

By the way, what you described was exactly what happened to me with TeslaCam. I stopped the footage right after the accident to save it from getting overwritten as that was how my old dashcam worked. Instead, that caused my footage to get corrupted. I came home only to find the footage of everything up until the traffic light before the accident. Now I know to make sure I give it a few minutes before I hit pause and download the footage.

I totally agree with you about the possibility of TeslaCam to make people more aware of not to pull these hit and runs knowing they are possibly being monitored.

Reactions: PamelaRachel
So I was the one that got side swiped a few months ago in my model 3 and the TeslaCam somehow corrupted the last minute footage where the accident happened.

My car ended up being in the shop for over a month and just got it back on tuesday. Today I went out with my girl in Saratoga and came back to find someone had opened the door and slammed into my newly replaced and painted door and took off an entire chunk of paint and left. I literally felt like this is another nightmare situation again even though I kept my sentry mode activated.

Well, I just got home and decided to review the footage and lo and behold, the car captured the entire incident on the right cam. You see the lady get in her car, and swung her door open and hit mine, then had a surprised look on her face and stare right at my camera not knowing what to do before quickly getting in the passenger seat of their car and take off. Thankfully their car was parked racer status and when it was leaving, a car pass by and they had to stop which gave me perfect view of their license plate and model.

After the whole nightmare last time (still not settled), it looks like Tesla definitely redeemed itself lol. I just reported them to sheriff's department for hit and run.

Video?

Thanks for posting this thread. I've often wondered what the legality is of an individual hitting and damaging your car while not in motion (is it technically called a hit and run, or something else?). This damage, of course, can be caused by the driver, the passenger, or an individual pushing a shopping cart into your car. Here in NYC, it doesn't take long for there to be external damage - especially to the front and rear bumpers for those of us who park on the streets. Since I've owned this car, I've been careful to try and find spaces with enough room between doors, or away from crowded areas - but we still get dinged from time to time. In your case, you were fortunate to be able to identify the license plate. I'm very interested to know how your case proceeds and whether or not you're able to easily collect. While damage to the adjacent car door would not be classified as normal wear and tear, I often wonder whether it's possible to collect against bumper damage where there is more of an expectation of coming into contact. Last month I watched a driver of a mid-sized SUV with chrome cylindrical bumper come in at an angle and penetrate the bumper of a parked car. The standard (fugly) coverings I see here in NYC like the bumper-buddy and the license plate bumper guard "BumpsShox" wouldn't protect against that kind of impact. FYI, here is a (somewhat hideous) solution to protect against door-dings, but it can be removed when not in use. https://www.amazon.com/Door-Shox-VALET-Protector-Protection/dp/B002BB3VWA

Please keep us posted!

Reactions: Lucy903 and 1375mlm
Maybe cars need to start having studded bumpers, so if someone backs into you etc their car gets damaged. Kind of like those spikes on truckers wheels that you don't want to get near or else have your fender ripped open if you get too close while your both moving. Might cut down on careless drivers doing this. I read that some people on here have an obnoxious towing hook part that they indicated kind of does the same thing. I feel for people who have to park on the street all the time. Your chances of bumper damage happening I'm sure go up as a result.

I wonder if the police will do anything so it will be interesting to hear back from Kain. Also wonder if you turn it over to your insurance company if they might feel it's worth going after the person. Easier if it's the driver of the car but how would you pursue a passenger or like in my husband's case recently a guy's kid opened their car door into his really hard. He and the father of the kid couldn't believe that our car seemed fine (no paint scrape thanks to his Xpel and fortunately no dent either). Could the parents be held liable for damage?

Could the parents be held liable for damage?

I fully expect that answer to that is yes. Although i wouldn't expect this to be a hit and run, but more like an act of vandalism\property damage?

Although, I'm not a car repair expert, a chunk of paint falling off doesn't sound like a normal thing, and i wonder if the repair shop also didn't do a very good job painting the car?

Cops don't arrest people for dinging someone's door and running away.

Also very interested to hear how law enforcement handles this and whether it's a hit and run vs. something else.

My guess - which could be completely wrong - is that law enforcement will largely do nothing except possibly provide you with this person's contact information. At that point you could attempt to contact them and try to work it out, and then if unable, take them to small claims court.

Since you've filed a police report you can now turn this driver over to your insurance company and start the damage claim. Tell them you have a dashcam and have video of the incident that you can provide and then provide their license plate # as well as the police incident report #.

Cops don't arrest people for dinging someone's door and running away.

OP is in California. Property damage you inflict with a car and flee from is a crime there- up to 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine.

Law section

CA Law said:
(a)
The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to any property, including vehicles, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the nearest location that will not impede traffic or otherwise jeopardize the safety of other motorists. Moving the vehicle in accordance with this subdivision does not affect the question of fault. The driver shall also immediately do either of the following:

(1) Locate and notify the owner or person in charge of that property of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle involved and, upon locating the driver of any other vehicle involved or the owner or person in charge of any damaged property, upon being requested, present his or her driver’s license, and vehicle registration, to the other driver, property owner, or person in charge of that property. The information presented shall include the current residence address of the driver and of the registered owner. If the registered owner of an involved vehicle is present at the scene, he or she shall also, upon request, present his or her driver’s license information, if available, or other valid identification to the other involved parties.

(2) Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police department of the city wherein the collision occurred or, if the collision occurred in unincorporated territory, the local headquarters of the Department of the California Highway Patrol.

(b) Any person who parks a vehicle which, prior to the vehicle again being driven, becomes a runaway vehicle and is involved in an accident resulting in damage to any property, attended or unattended, shall comply with the requirements of this section relating to notification and reporting and shall, upon conviction thereof, be liable to the penalties of this section for failure to comply with the requirements.

(c) Any person failing to comply with all the requirements of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine