Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode to the rescue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to offer update. I was informed I can file police report yesterday evening at San Jose sheriff's office. However when I got there, they told me I need to file in Cupertino Sheriff's so although I reported them and gave license plate info, I still have to go there in person to file it and have them inspect my car. They asked me over the phone if my footage showed that they were aware they caused damage or if they just hit the vehicle unaware and took off. I told them they for sure saw the damage as the lady literally was in shock and stared at the camera with the a grin and then quickly got in the passenger side.

The officer told me that can be filed under a hit and run which is punishable by law in California. However, they seem to be pushing for me not to press charges and told me it is better to just let my insurance deal with it and they can provide the other party's information.

As much as I want to post the footage, I still want to preserve the other party's privacy even though what they did was very shady. Will keep you all updated.
My take, the cops want to do just the bare minimum and still be able to draw that plum pension...

Reactions: voip-ninja

Who the hell just swings their door open and hopes it doesn't hit anything?

I cringe every time I see someone do that in a parking lot.

My four year old knows to open a door slowly and make sure you don't bash something next to it.

Christ.

At the end of the day, these types of things are to some extent unavoidable but there are steps that can be taken to minimize them.

It is my experience that indolent door swinger types are lazy as f&* and don't want to walk far, they are worried about their hair, make-up and how well their skin tight jeans fit and don't give a crap about what they hit when flinging doors around.

Parking FAR AWAY from the entrance to a business greatly reduces the chance of running into one of these types.

Who the hell just swings their door open and hopes it doesn't hit anything?

I cringe every time I see someone do that in a parking lot.

My four year old knows to open a door slowly and make sure you don't bash something next to it.

Christ.

At the end of the day, these types of things are to some extent unavoidable but there are steps that can be taken to minimize them.

It is my experience that indolent door swinger types are lazy as f&* and don't want to walk far, they are worried about their hair, make-up and how well their skin tight jeans fit and don't give a crap about what they hit when flinging doors around.

Parking FAR AWAY from the entrance to a business greatly reduces the chance of running into one of these types.

I usually try to park far away from the entrance because that is where fewer cars will be parked, thus reducing the chance of something like this happening. However, I'm now in a catch 22 situation because those spaces are the ones more likely to be hit during a smash and grab since they are less populated, meaning fewer witnesses. Hopefully, Sentry mode will be effective enough to prevent that.

I usually try to park far away from the entrance because that is where fewer cars will be parked, thus reducing the chance of something like this happening. However, I'm now in a catch 22 situation because those spaces are the ones more likely to be hit during a smash and grab since they are less populated, meaning fewer witnesses. Hopefully, Sentry mode will be effective enough to prevent that.
it's a conundrum. I actually think parking closer with more risk of door dings is better than parking farther with higher risk of window smashing. i'd rather deal with popping dings out via paintless dent removal vs dealing with broken glass and the process.

*Disclaimer - I wrote this post yesterday before I saw the video, and now with looking at the video it was a bit more tame than I expected.*

A lot of you guys are way too nice IMO by wanting to let the lady off the hook. If given the option, I would absolutely press charges in a second. It's highly unethical to knowingly damage someone's property and then leave without making a good faith effort to make it right. People like that will do it over and over until their are consequences, and I disagree with just turning it over to insurance. It's not worth the legal fight/cost for them to go after the offender, so in the long run your insurance will go up and the perpetrator still won't learn their lesson.

When I was a kid and we had a tank Mercedes 300D, my little sister kicked the door open into the car next to us in a parking lot. My dad made us all wait in the car for over an hour until the owner came out so my sister could apologize directly to him, and then my dad gave all of his info including his driver's license and said he would make it right. That kind of common courtesy is lacking today, and I think a big reason why is people think they can do whatever they want with impunity.

Operator is responsible for what's done with your vehicle. If the passenger refuses to wear a seat belt, the vehicle operator still gets a ticket.

You unlock the door, you've allowed it and are responsible for what your passenger does.

Not sure where you get this idea, but it's absolutely not true universally.

For example in my state-

NC DPS: Seat Belts

NC Law said:
The driver of the vehicle is responsible for himself and all children less than sixteen.

Passengers ages sixteen and older are responsible for themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: MentalNomad
*Disclaimer - I wrote this post yesterday before I saw the video, and now with looking at the video it was a bit more tame than I expected.*

A lot of you guys are way too nice IMO by wanting to let the lady off the hook. If given the option, I would absolutely press charges in a second. It's highly unethical to knowingly damage someone's property and then leave without making a good faith effort to make it right. People like that will do it over and over until their are consequences, and I disagree with just turning it over to insurance. It's not worth the legal fight/cost for them to go after the offender, so in the long run your insurance will go up and the perpetrator still won't learn their lesson.

When I was a kid and we had a tank Mercedes 300D, my little sister kicked the door open into the car next to us in a parking lot. My dad made us all wait in the car for over an hour until the owner came out so my sister could apologize directly to him, and then my dad gave all of his info including his driver's license and said he would make it right. That kind of common courtesy is lacking today, and I think a big reason why is people think they can do whatever they want with impunity.

It comes down to how much the OPs time is worth and has little to do with teaching respect of property to someone who is likely to old to learn that life lesson if they haven't already learned it when they are 50+ years old.

By all means someone can insist to the police that they want to press charges for a hit and run and see how that plays out. The police will do everything they can to avoid filing a charge on something that can probably be fixed for under $1,000. I'm not sure if in California they are legally required to follow through with an owner's request to press charges.

A lot of you guys are way too nice IMO by wanting to let the lady off the hook. If given the option, I would absolutely press charges in a second.

I believe in giving people a second chance. It is possible the driver asked the passenger if there was any damage and the passenger lied and said there was not. In that case the driver wouldn't know that they where hit-and-running.