Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sentry mode video storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am slightly confused as to how sentry mode stores it's videos and retains them. I left my car for 2 weeks in my drive while on vacation. I left it plugged in with sentry mode active. I thought it could act as a sort of security camera whilst I was away incase people walked up my driveway for some reason. I had assumed it would record and store videos any time sentry mode was activated.
At one point I was notified on my phone that the car alarm had been triggered. I had assumed that for sure any activity that would cause the alarm to be triggered would store a video of the event.
When I returned the only movies stored were for a single day a week ago with separate videos for each minute. I saw nothing in those videos that would trigger a sentry event.
Does sentry mode not store videos when it's activated? How about a car alarm?
How is one supposed to store sentry mode videos if they only store videos for one single event?

It should have stored recordings whenever sentry was tripped. Also when you first entered the car it should have reported the number of sentry events that were triggered. Was your drive full, perhaps? That will cause recording to stop. Also, there's a setting not run Sentry mode at home (I do this because I don't feel the need in my garage), although since you got at least one event, it doesn't really sound like that.

As far as not finding anything to trigger the one event you found, if you look through the last two minutes, you can usually find what triggered the save of the event. It could be something as simple as a bird or passing car.

There were just two directories on the drive, recent and saved videos. The recent contained the only sentry recordings. The saved were videos I had manually stored whilst driving previously. SD card was not full. Sentry was active at home.

There were just two directories on the drive, recent and saved videos. The recent contained the only sentry recordings. The saved were videos I had manually stored whilst driving previously. SD card was not full. Sentry was active at home.
Sentry videos, along with pressing the camera icon, are stored in Saved Videos and remain until you delete them. If your Sentry videos didn’t show up there, something is wrong.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
If I remember there's a note about turning sentry off before removing the stick. Since most of us have sentry settings off while at home, we don't think about it. It will corrupt your records according to the manual.
It’s not Sentry you need to turn off, just the teslacam by long pressing on the camera icon to stop recording.

I occasionally see Sentry activated message on the screen when i return to my car.
I think it gets recorded and saved but the alarm doesn't go off necessarily.
If the alarm goes off I probably get notification on my phone.

Right?

I occasionally see Sentry activated message on the screen when i return to my car.
I think it gets recorded and saved but the alarm doesn't go off necessarily.
If the alarm goes off I probably get notification on my phone.

Right?

If the system goes to alert mode it saves the most recent 10 minutes.

If it actually goes to alarm mode it also sends notification via the app.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Just reiterating what was mentioned above. Sentry Mode recordings are saved in the SavedClips folder, along with your manually saved recordings. The RecentClips does not have saved Sentry Mode recordings in it.