Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a technical reason why HW2 can't support the dashcam, but there hasn't been any indication of why HW2 doesn't support Sentry Mode.

But, the primary SOC along with the discrete GPU isn't used for AP while it's parked. So it should be free to use for Sentry mode.

I think they are using the AP SOC/GPU to process a Sentry Mode NN. Then the other SOC is used to process/compress/send the cameras feeds to the MCU to be save on the USB drive.

So just like with the dashcam feature the HW2 cars don't have the needed resources.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Hi Richard,

I apologize that I missed that. I was just looking through that article for something to do with the actual hardware and that is why I didn't see anything. I checked and I show that your Model X's production date was 12/3/17 but the S is showing 3/8/17. The X should be fine for sure but I have submitted feedback on the Model S for you so hopefully sometime in the near future they will include pre August 2017 Model S vehicles. I really wish there was more that I could personally do to get this on your S at this time but hope you have an amazing rest of you week and weekend.

Daniel B. | Tesla Support

6565500-00-A_0.jpg

So let's say I have the $350 Enhanced Anti-Theft installed and Sentry Mode enabled. When the car is broken into do both alarms go off to scare the robber?

Yes....Elon's statement of "all EAP" and "HW2+" has certainly turned in to a HUGE letdown for all of us with EAP HW2.0 My only hope now is that...maybe....my HW3 FSD upgrade will put me in the camp of HW2+ for this and future upgrades. My pessimistic side says there is more to it than the AP chip and we probably won't see the software enhancements that have separated HW2.0 and higher. smh smh smh
Your pessimistic side is correct, and I was surprised not to find it mentioned anywhere in this thread yet...

The cameras are different between AP2 and AP2.5. That is why the Dashcam and Sentry do not exist for pre-AP2.5 cars.

The cameras were never intended for human viewing when they developed AP2: they were designed strictly for AP processing. This changed when they came out with AP2.5, which also switched from RCCC sensors to RGGB sensors.

The cameras are different between AP2 and AP2.5. That is why the Dashcam and Sentry do not exist for pre-AP2.5 cars.

The cameras were never intended for human viewing when they developed AP2: they were designed strictly for AP processing. This changed when they came out with AP2.5

How do you know that? Can you give us proof so that we can set our minds at peace?

I have an AP2 car and was both excited and dubious when Elon tweeted that Sentry Mode would be available for AP2+ cars with EAP. Excited for obvious reasons. Dubious because I wondered how AP2 cars would have enhanced dash-cam functionality when it didn't even have the front facing camera/dashcam feature. But I figured that perhaps Tesla's engineers figured out how to get more out of the AP2 SOC. When it was announced that it was only available for AP2.5 cars...well, I was obviously disappointed. But not completely surprised.

OTA software upgrades that give new features are really cool. But there will be some limits to what can be done at different points of Tesla's evolution. When you buy any other car...it will never get better. Not even 1% better. So while I, too, am disappointed that it looks like at this time no Sentry mode for AP2 owners, we should remember that our cars do get better over time...even if we all don't get 100% of the new features due to hardware limitations.

All of that said, the only thing I would like to hear from Elon is an apology for misspeaking (maybe he thought they were going to come through with an AP2 compatible solution but they ended up not being able to make it work) about Sentry Mode coming to AP2 cars and a short explanation of why AP2 cars can't support it. I think we probably know it's likely to be an SOC issue, but would be good to have that confirmed.

Reactions: croman

The cameras were never intended for human viewing when they developed AP2: they were designed strictly for AP processing. This changed when they came out with AP2.5, which also switched from RCCC sensors to RGGB sensors.

If you are right then that would suggest that even with the HW3.0 processor upgrade there would still be a problem...

No mention of 2.ANYTHING there so I choose to believe what someone says!!

View attachment 377586
Context was Model 3, so all Model 3's with Enhanced AP get it. Or, it's coming soon to all models, just sooner for AP2.5, AP2.0 gets is after FSD is done and they upgrade to AP3. So many way to spin it, welcome to Elon's tweets. Elon did say FSD is coming sooner than anyone thinks.

Context was Model 3, so all Model 3's with Enhanced AP get it. Or, it's coming soon to all models, just sooner for AP2.5, AP2.0 gets is after FSD is done and they upgrade to AP3. So many way to spin it, welcome to Elon's tweets. Elon did say FSD is coming sooner than anyone thinks.
The lengths people go to to justify and protect. Sentry mode does not require EAP activated. All model 3’s have EAP all 2.0 and 2.5 cars have EAP.

You are truly stretching into Elon’s world of stretch’s with that one