Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Separate wheels or seasonal tire swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2020 P3D. I got the PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC as my winter tires. So far, i've had the tires swapped twice, both times using mobile services.

• The first swap, they really struggled with the swap. They said low profile tires are difficult to do. They also scratched up one of the rims, it wasn't too bad but noticeable. (it was pretty expensive, $250 for the swap).

• The second swap, I used Tesla themselves to do the swap. They actually use roadside service to do it, since mobile doesn't have the equipment for tire swaps. The cost was about the same (~250%) but this guy really ****ed up one of my rims. He very slightly comped the service but didn't come close to the $100 cost of repairing it.

So now before winter comes, im wondering what to do. Is it hard to do tire swaps on low profile tires, are scratches just the nature of it? Or am I just having bad luck on tire places?

I'm debating just getting another set of wheels but my problem is also that the Alpin tires are pretty large, im assuming I would need 20 inch rims to accomodate them, so im looking at $2k+. I would honestly prefer 18 inch rims in the winter for cost, comfort and range but now i've already bought these tires and they are pretty new.

What should I do? Get new tires + 18 inch rims, get new rims only for the current tires, or just continue doing the swaps until I find a better shop to do them?

I have the 20" rims and bought the same set of winter tires. I elected to buy a second set of rims through EV Wheels Direct (see photo at left), and I just take off the summer tires in early October, and replace them with the winter tires/wheels. I use this as a chance to ensure proper rotation, labeling the new position of the tires I took off so I know what position to install them in next Spring. I have 60,000 miles on the car now, and I'm still using the original summer and winter tires. They're each on for about half the year. Works well for me.

If you are going to swap, you need to have two sets of rims, and just swap the rim/tire combo. Swapping two sets between one set of rims is just craziness. If you can sell your winter tires at a reasonable price, I would do that and get 18s (or 19s) for winter.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Find yourself a good tire shop that charges half what you’re paying and doesn’t F up your wheels like total amateurs & give lame excuses like saying low profile wheels are too hard for them and their lack of basic skills to swap. And buy another set of wheels.

If you have the cash then the answer is undoubtedly to purchase a separate set of wheels/tires. IMO it's the only way to go. Swapping tires on an off is only asking for damage to the wheels or tires. That's my 2 cents.

I would second this. Every time you mount and dismount tires, you are risking damage to the rims. Even the most experienced mechanic will slip up on the steel pry bar and mar the finish on the rim. It only takes less than half and hour to perform the swap and that's without power tools and just a basic jack.

Reactions: eman2021