Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Bulletin out on Hard Acceleration "Shudder"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great job finding this! So would any Raven cars be affected by this, or were they all built after May 15?
I have a Raven (built in June 2019) and had this vibration issue BIG time. On hard acceleration, even with the suspension on its lowest setting, the rattle could rival the worst knocking I ever heard out of a high-performance ICE engine on low-octane gas. After several service visits, they applied the fix from the bulletin (or at least it seems like the same fix from my invoice). So far, the problem is gone.

• Informative
Reactions: Sfallert
My 09/19 standard range raven has had a persistent shudder and grind noise since about a month after I bought it. It only happens under hard acceleration at all suspension heights. SC has twice told me the problem doesn't exist on raven models and that my wheel is out of balance. Since the problem started I've replaced the tires and had the new ones balanced twice. I can't bring myself to pay Tesla $100 to balance the wheel when Discount does it for free... Of course Tesla SC also claims that Discount doesn't know how to balances Tesla wheels. Is there something special about their wheels or the car that makes it different? Should I just let them do it? I suppose if they're right the problem is solved and if not I've proven that it isn't a balance issue.

Not only does it exist on Raven models, there's no fix for it yet like there is with the pre Raven models.

• Informative
Reactions: Sfallert
Just wanted to chime in here - I've had the shudder (probably not as bad as some others - it was noticeable, particularly when cold, and accelerating through the 20-40mph zone, but it didn't feel like the car was going to fall apart or anything). My service center ordered the new parts (1138040-00-B and 1138042-00-B) and replaced them today, along with axle nuts and washers. No other parts were mentioned. Haven't had a chance to really test but so far no shudder.

Edit to add: August 2019 build Raven here.

• Informative
Reactions: vapor trail
Just wanted to chime in here - I've had the shudder (probably not as bad as some others - it was noticeable, particularly when cold, and accelerating through the 20-40mph zone, but it didn't feel like the car was going to fall apart or anything). My service center ordered the new parts (1138040-00-B and 1138042-00-B) and replaced them today, along with axle nuts and washers. No other parts were mentioned. Haven't had a chance to really test but so far no shudder.

I just dropped off my Raven Dec 2019 build at Superior, Colorado service center. It's got really bad shudder, the mobile service had looked at it 3 weeks ago and said I needed to take it in to get fixed. I'm hoping after this fix and the new suspension update maybe it will stay good more than 10k miles this time. My 2017 I had fixed 3 times over 3 years, each fix worked for a few months and after I heard it was a newer fix I gave it a try again. My mom has the 2017 and its good now. I hoped the Raven would not have fixed the issue, I do towing and she doesn't, Is it related?

I just dropped off my Raven Dec 2019 build at Superior, Colorado service center. It's got really bad shudder, the mobile service had looked at it 3 weeks ago and said I needed to take it in to get fixed. I'm hoping after this fix and the new suspension update maybe it will stay good more than 10k miles this time. My 2017 I had fixed 3 times over 3 years, each fix worked for a few months and after I heard it was a newer fix I gave it a try again. My mom has the 2017 and its good now. I hoped the Raven would not have fixed the issue, I do towing and she doesn't, Is it related?

Keep us posted. Good luck.

My rattle occurs when it's colder. Will see if it recurs over the (mild California) winter weather.

Hmmmm. I Googled that first part number which lead me to a NHTSA page with Tesla's Service Bulletin.

But this "repair" of yours makes no sense.

That Service Bulletin reads as follows on the last page (perhaps it should have been on the first page?!?):

Affected VIN(s) Affected Dual Motor Model S and Model X vehicles built before approximately May 15, 2019.

Your Raven was built AFTER the fix was applied at the factory, so why are they re-installing these same parts that ostensibly do NOT solve the problem?!?

Please update us when you ask . . . .

Hmmmm. I Googled that first part number which lead me to a NHTSA page with Tesla's Service Bulletin.

But this "repair" of yours makes no sense.

That Service Bulletin reads as follows on the last page (perhaps it should have been on the first page?!?):

Affected VIN(s) Affected Dual Motor Model S and Model X vehicles built before approximately May 15, 2019.

Your Raven was built AFTER the fix was applied at the factory, so why are they re-installing these same parts that ostensibly do NOT solve the problem?!?

Please update us when you ask . . . .

These revisions of the axles are newer than the previous "fix". If you read the TSB you'll see the part numbers aren't the same - Google finds that TSB because of this thread where people mention the newer numbers. The half shafts in the TSB are older revision axles - 1030616-00-D and 15-00-D (which apparently didn't actually solve the issue, as people here have been saying for the last year and a half)

These revisions of the axles are newer than the previous "fix". If you read the TSB you'll see the part numbers aren't the same - Google finds that TSB because of this thread where people mention the newer numbers. The half shafts in the TSB are older revision axles - 1030616-00-D and 15-00-D (which apparently didn't actually solve the issue, as people here have been saying for the last year and a half)

Very informative.

I too have the shudder ('19 Perf Raven MS), but it's somewhat mild enough to wait until the car has more miles. (I'm at about 3,600 miles so far--doesn't Tesla do durability testing?)

Also want to see how the latest half-shafts are working out as well; do please keep us all posted as your miles roll up!

Very informative.

I too have the shudder ('19 Perf Raven MS), but it's somewhat mild enough to wait until the car has more miles. (I'm at about 3,600 miles so far--doesn't Tesla do durability testing?)

Also want to see how the latest half-shafts are working out as well; do please keep us all posted as your miles roll up!

So far so good. Did a couple heated launches (to test out the new software's "Improved Launch Control") and no shudder yet. Unfortunately, I haven't had a decent stretch of road to do more than get to the speed limit in 1.5 seconds, so I don't have updated 0-60 times yet ;) Might go to the local 1/4 mile track tomorrow.

So far so good. Did a couple heated launches (to test out the new software's "Improved Launch Control") and no shudder yet. Unfortunately, I haven't had a decent stretch of road to do more than get to the speed limit in 1.5 seconds, so I don't have updated 0-60 times yet ;) Might go to the local 1/4 mile track tomorrow.

Just curious, on the Raven, if your car is on a high suspension setting, when you use this launch control does it automatically put it in low ride height?

My early 2020 MX Raven went in for violent shudder @ 11k mi in October.
RH 1027119-00-B (MX)
LH 1027113-00-B
were installed.
Violent shudder gone, but there is still is NVH that is relatively high for an EV. The Jaguar, Audi, Porsche EVs have far less vibration and harshness.
But I knew that before I bought the Tesla. It's at acceptable levels for a I4 turbo car.

Do you mind posting specifics from service invoice of parts replaced or the diagnosis from SC?

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Do you mind posting specifics from service invoice of parts replaced or the diagnosis from SC?

The original visit just said shudder on acceleration and that the technician verified it and ordered parts. The follow-up, once they arrived, just says they were replaced:

upload_2020-11-6_14-2-27.png

The original visit just said shudder on acceleration and that the technician verified it and ordered parts. The follow-up, once they arrived, just says they were replaced:

View attachment 605905

I just took my Dec 19 production Model S LR in for the same shudder you described. Without blinking an eye they said I needed new half shafts and the invoice states it's the same part # as what you received. I have just under 10,000 miles but started hearing the half shafts around 4,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I just took my Dec 19 production Model S LR in for the same shudder you described. Without blinking an eye they said I needed new half shafts and the invoice states it's the same part # as what you received. I have just under 10,000 miles but started hearing the half shafts around 4,000 miles.

Which DFW Service Center did you visit? I'm hearing the shudder at under 4k miles ('19 MS Perf, mid-year production), but only at WOT which isn't for too long on a Performance--"go to jail" speeds take mere seconds....

This is encouraging as our Raven S is at the SC today to receive new half-shafts for the second time. The parts ordered are 'D' revisions:

Parts Received
  1. FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, RH, PM
    Part #: 1138042-00-B
    Delivered: September 15, 2020
  2. FRONT HALFSHAFT, MODEL S, LH, PM
    Part #: 1138040-00-B
    Delivered: September 15, 2020

Back in December 2019 I received different 'D' and 'B' parts and the shudder returned by March 2020:

Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - LH (2nd Generation) (Remove and
Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR, LH, MODEL S HPDM(1030615-00-D) 1.0
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (1st Generation) (Remove and
Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR, RH, MODEL S HPDM(1030616-00-B) 1.0

FatherTo1: Did the updated half shafts fix your shudder? I've experienced a clattering on hard acceleration with my 2020 Model S LR (Raven) since I bought it.

When I had it looked at back in March, the service center confirmed the problem, but said I had the latest "D" revision for the half shafts, so they said there wasn't any point in replacing my half shafts with the same version. They said once Tesla figured it out and came up with a new and improved half shaft, they would be able to fix my problem. It now seems like the latest version is now available (Part # 1138042-00B) that may help remedy my rattling.

I just scheduled another appointment at my SC and asked that my half shafts be replaced with the newest version. The shudder/rattling is getting worse now that it's turning colder here in Nebraska. As long as I don't launch hard, I don't get the rattle, but what's the point of having such a powerful car if I have to never launch hard?