Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Center Drove Over a Nail - Wants Me To Pay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True , but getting tesla to replace or fix the scratch has gotta be easier than getting a random tire shop to own up to it and run thru that process

Last time Costco scratched my rims, it took a month to resolve and I had to talk to their store manager for a week, get an estimate from a refinish shop, then work with their insurance and they would only cover the repair and not the cost of mounting and dismounting the tire. And thats dealing with Costco, a reputable retailer.

at least costco will own up to the mistake.

good luck with tesla service center on that. you can read one of my recent threads on service centers if you want to know the whole story

good luck with tesla service center on that. you can read one of my recent threads on service centers if you want to know the whole story

Wow just read your thread, been thru some similar situations with service people adding more damage to my car while in for repairs. Got lucky I guess as they always own up to them and it gets fixed after I point it out. I also don’t like the rolling the dice situation when it goes in. One tech always rolls his eyes or has some off handed remark when I come in too, good thing I don’t have to deal with him too much and I am always on good terms with the service advisors which helps.

What a bullshit. A certain person at Costco had the decency to own up to the mistake. Another Costco employee could have reacted differently and try to pull your leg. Same with ANY other company. There are good people, and not so good people.

„One tech always rolls his eyes or has some off handed remark when I come in too“
Have you ever considered why that is? Maybe he had a bad experience with YOU. Maybe you have been unreasonable, insulting or a know-it-all (some customers can be super annoying). There is always a reason why people react to other people as they do.
And there are people who can stand above their feelings for someone, despite finding them total asswipes (which they probably are) and stay professional. Not everybody can, even though I wished everybody could.

Everything is people business. It‘s not right to say that a whole company is good or bad based on, seen from the greater scheme of things, a single or several negative experiences with a small group of representatives. It totally depends on who you talk to / interact with.

Tire shops typically charge $20-25 dollars to remove nails from a standard tire if it’s not too close to the sidewall.

It’s my understanding the Tesla MX tires have (noise reduction) foam inside the tires. Does it perhaps cost more in labor due to the extra work due to the foam?

Considering the dealership is willing to go halfsies, I would say its fair in my opinion. Seems amicable, I would say they are not trying to rip you off.

actually a lot of places fix for free.

Reactions: Soey22
actually a lot of places fix for free.

How does that work? The person making the repair needs to be paid. He/she does not work for free. How can a company offer a completely cost-free repair to a stranger and let them you drive off again. They invested time and material and get nothing for it. Sounds like a really bad business idea.
I‘m obviously missing something.

What a bullshit. A certain person at Costco had the decency to own up to the mistake. Another Costco employee could have reacted differently and try to pull your leg. Same with ANY other company. There are good people, and not so good people.

„One tech always rolls his eyes or has some off handed remark when I come in too“
Have you ever considered why that is? Maybe he had a bad experience with YOU. Maybe you have been unreasonable, insulting or a know-it-all (some customers can be super annoying). There is always a reason why people react to other people as they do.
And there are people who can stand above their feelings for someone, despite finding them total asswipes (which they probably are) and stay professional. Not everybody can, even though I wished everybody could.

Everything is people business. It‘s not right to say that a whole company is good or bad based on, seen from the greater scheme of things, a single or several negative experiences with a small group of representatives. It totally depends on who you talk to / interact with.

i never meant to reference it as a whole company, i meant in that persons specific situation, it was good that the costco employee owned up to his mistake.

on the other hand, i can understand if an employee doesnt want to admit their mistake but to have the management of a service center back up their claim with no proof on their end is a bit sketchy. they were basically telling me that since i dont have proof and his techs said it was good then he believes his tech instead of the customer. see where i am getting at here? in my case, they did not even bother to look into the history of all the issues i have had in the past, it is pretty obvious whos at fault but the manager decided to ignore all that and believe their techs.

on a flip side, the previous manager was much better, he actually knew that not all his techs were perfect and admitted to their flaws. i will add that i still see many of the same techs that work there.

How does that work? The person making the repair needs to be paid. He/she does not work for free. How can a company offer a completely cost-free repair to a stranger and let them you drive off again. They invested time and material and get nothing for it. Sounds like a really bad business idea.
I‘m obviously missing something.

Goodwill service with the hopes that you go back to them the next time you need tires replaced. It actually makes good business sense, and in a lot of way it has worked well for many of these companies. Discount tire had taken care of multiple nails for us, on tires that weren’t purchased through them. And guess where I went with $1200-1300 dollars every time we need tires? We drive 30-35 k miles per year on my X, less though on our 3.

Try calling and asking them next time. The place near our home also tops off tire pressures for free (not just a pump but a human who goes around and fills while you sit in your car). These small things have bought my business.

Last edited: