Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service for paint defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update - The Syosset NY Service Center just called to let me know they replaced the Lumbar control module so my seat issue has been addressed, but the process has changed for dealing with the paint defect - apparently instead of sending it to a certified body shop, they are now going to have the Tesla-owned body shop in Long Island City Queens deal with it.

So I'm to pick up my car from Syosset, return the loaner, set up an appointment with Long Island City, bring the car to them (40 miles away from me), and request a loaner from them.

Not sure why this process changed, or why this couldn't all be set up between Syosset and LIC, since it's all Tesla now and no third parties are involved... They were going to take care of everything when the third party was involved so this seems odd.

Anyway, I'll find out more when I pick up the car.

Quick update - The Syosset NY Service Center just called to let me know they replaced the Lumbar control module so my seat issue has been addressed, but the process has changed for dealing with the paint defect - apparently instead of sending it to a certified body shop, they are now going to have the Tesla-owned body shop in Long Island City Queens deal with it.

So I'm to pick up my car from Syosset, return the loaner, set up an appointment with Long Island City, bring the car to them (40 miles away from me), and request a loaner from them.

Not sure why this process changed, or why this couldn't all be set up between Syosset and LIC, since it's all Tesla now and no third parties are involved... They were going to take care of everything when the third party was involved so this seems odd.

Anyway, I'll find out more when I pick up the car.

I'm curious how Tesla will resolve it. I saw something posted a while ago that indicated that the Tesla owned body shops don't actually do any paint work, they just swap out panels with pre-painted ones they get from the Fremont factory.

I could see where, from Tesla's perspective this makes sense. Body work is very expensive and pretty much the entire Model 3 fleet is new enough that there shouldn't be much variation in paint color between different copies of the car (this assumes that the paint shop in Fremont knows what they are doing and the color mixes they use are always consistent).

Your experience with fixing paint defects will be highly dependent on the quality of the body shop they send it to. "Tesla Certified" doesn't mean much, it's probably just whatever shop agreed to their negotiated hourly rates.

As an investor, I can't believe that Tesla hasn't put in more effort into spraying paint correctly. These paint fixes must be costing them a fortune since they have to outsource most of the repairs, and we're two years into production. Other manufacturers can paint well at scale, there's no excuse at this point.

For the OP, I would hand wet sand that with 2000 grit and call it a day. Too much risk to send it to a body shop (for me).

"Tesla Certified" doesn't mean much, it's probably just whatever shop agreed to their negotiated hourly rates.

A Tesla Mobile Tech told me the body shop certification process involves a costly and lengthy training program and dedicated shop space for Tesla repairs only. He said most body shops don't want to allocate resources for the certification, so that's why there aren't many Tesla Certified body shops around. I don't know if it's true or not, this is just what he told me when I was telling him about the length of time to get an appointment.

Reading all this just aggravates me again. I have spent so many hours on the phone to Tesla trying to get my utterly pathetically built Model 3 LR AWD black sorted out since mid March. The car has been at the Amsterdam SC for 1,5 weeks at some point too but they didn't really fix much at all (and service wise - well - let's say 'it wasn't good....at ALL'). I have given up on Tesla completely - not because of their product (I love my Model 3 - and everything the company stands for) but the post-sales/service is as bad as it could be. Really totally ruined the whole experience for me. I have friends with M3's that are in a more than half decent condition so I KNOW they can do it. But they left me to rot...and that hurts.

(shortest possible recap: Damage on delivery, terrible paintwork, faulty indicator stalk, dodgy camera's and detection, creaking/cracking doorrubbers, dropping out audio)

Your experience with fixing paint defects will be highly dependent on the quality of the body shop they send it to. "Tesla Certified" doesn't mean much, it's probably just whatever shop agreed to their negotiated hourly rates.

As an investor, I can't believe that Tesla hasn't put in more effort into spraying paint correctly. These paint fixes must be costing them a fortune since they have to outsource most of the repairs, and we're two years into production. Other manufacturers can paint well at scale, there's no excuse at this point.

For the OP, I would hand wet sand that with 2000 grit and call it a day. Too much risk to send it to a body shop (for me).

He's not sending it to a Tesla certified shop,Tesla is sending it to a Tesla owned repair shop... they have something like half a dozen of them now. The rumor is they just do minor touch ups and body panel replacements, I wonder if they even have a full paint booth in them.

So after I contacted the Tesla owned repair shop as instructed, they finally got back to me today via text (6 days later) informing me that they can address the paint issue in 5 days and can't provide a loaner but can provide Uber credits instead. Earliest they can get me in is end of September (next month).

I'll try to escalate this up the chain, but based on everyone else's experience in dealing with Tesla customer service, I'm thinking this is going to be one of those things that I just accept as-is and be happy that it's not worse.

Recall that Elon’s vision was to “kick start” the “EV Revolution”. He has stated he didn’t want Tesla to be a “Auto Company”. That said, with the Model 3, they went from “Production Hell”, to “Delivery Logistics Hell” and “Debt Hell”. Tesla has to pay back it’s loans and to do that you have to produce and deliver high volumes of product to make it. QA tends to take a “back seat” when attempting to stay “viable “, at least in Tesla’s current position.

That aside, the issue is that most of us that have owned Luxury or high-end vehicles, have come to have expectations on fit and finish...Quality associated with the increased costs at upper tier. Also remember, Tesla is a neophyte in the auto production game. Given time and learning curve, Tesla is, if not will, improve upon QA. Some of us have had exceptional experiences with fit and finish, to include me. Others have had issues, some minor and some major.

In the end, Tesla has made corrections and satisfied their obligations to their customers. I was fully prepared for “issues” before taking delivery but, I knew all would be made right. Is it an inconvenience? Absolutely! Was I willing to make the plunge, knowing what I did? Absolutely!

Your logic really failed when you examine what you’ve said... Paying to do something twice allows Tesla to pay down debt faster? I’m pretty sure it don’t work that way.

Personally I’m glad Elon Musk doesn’t want to run a auto company. He is a visionary who has changed the face of many industry in a short time period. He should find someone who wants to run an auto company to run Tesla while he thinks of the next big thing, because that’s what he is good at.

So after I contacted the Tesla owned repair shop as instructed, they finally got back to me today via text (6 days later) informing me that they can address the paint issue in 5 days and can't provide a loaner but can provide Uber credits instead. Earliest they can get me in is end of September (next month).

I'll try to escalate this up the chain, but based on everyone else's experience in dealing with Tesla customer service, I'm thinking this is going to be one of those things that I just accept as-is and be happy that it's not worse.

Maybe ask for sc credits or a wall charger instead.

Your logic really failed when you examine what you’ve said... Paying to do something twice allows Tesla to pay down debt faster? I’m pretty sure it don’t work that way.

Personally I’m glad Elon Musk doesn’t want to run a auto company. He is a visionary who has changed the face of many industry in a short time period. He should find someone who wants to run an auto company to run Tesla while he thinks of the next big thing, because that’s what he is good at.
I only stated the obvious. How you interpret that is on you. :)