Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service plans no longer available for purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed ownership and I hear is what I got:

Thank you for the notice. Our IT team is currently working to iron out the issues and the site should be fully operational again soon after.

So I guess it will be there.

What if they removed the buttons for a legit reason? Maybe they're retooling things? Elon did mention one of his remaining 3 announcements was a change or update to Tesla Motors Service, so perhaps the links were pulled in preparation of that.

The service plan button was most likely taken down due to an upcoming announcement from Elon regarding Tesla service. At least that's what I recently heard from a Tesla sales rep.

Well then :)

How great would it be if they decide to do away with this 600 a year service and offered something like BMW? Free service ? I just can't see them turning away all the money they would rack up by charging the people that's bought the cars already. Unless more people canceled or won't place orders over them charging 600 a year for service, to the point it's cheaper to do away with it. It definitely hurts the savings over an ICU argument.

A little OT but:

I have been waiting patiently for 4.3 and this was my first interaction with ownership since delivery. Go in the car this morning and the update was waiting for me. Seems strange. Still waiting for HPWC and I know later VIN's have received theirs already. Going to email them about that as well and see what happens.

Maybe it was coincidence, maybe not.

Sure hope they extend the amount of time to decide. Before the sign up page went away the deadline was 4/15. Only 6 days left!

Can't wait to read the 'fine print' though on what is 'actually' going to be done during the visit *and* which of those things, if not done, done late or done by someone not certified by TM, will void the warranty.

The plan is to sell/trade in the Model S when the X arrives so it's critical that the new private owner gets the same benefits without hassle/little cost to transfer or retains the same value at trade in time with TM on the unused portion.

As part of a phone conversation with Ownership regarding a number of things, Kasey said that there were some "bugs" in the website programming, and the service plan purchasing module was among those. She stated that it would soon be available again and that I would have until the end of April to purchase a service plan. Interestingly, she said that there was no guarantee that the yearly service fee would be $600, FWIW.

She also confirmed that the extended warranty could be purchased much later (up to 30d prior to the 4 years / 50000 miles -- whichever comes first), but that a price could not be guaranteed.

I never could understand how the Denver Shop would ever be able to require annual visits by every ModelS, given all the work they have on their plate. So guessing they will not likely begin nagging me after 365 days to come in for a check up (given no actual need for service). Bet I can go 100k miles w/o needed service on this S (knock on wood). :rolleyes:

OTOH the Roadster *should* have the PEM cleaned out annually if it is driven on sand/gravel/dust!
--

I don't mean to raise false hopes, but I have a bit of cautious optimism they are substantially reducing (something like 50%) or even possibly eliminating service cost.

I thought this was going to be the "big" announcement last week. Now Elon says he wants to improve service... can't think of a better improvement for a car that just needs an annual checkup than making it less expensive to the customer (I mean what else can they do... all you can eat saltines while your car is being inspected?). Now these comments in this thread (including $600 for year not a guaranteed price) are encouraging.

I think it's right by customers and the right business decision. If they cut the price in half, eight years of service revenue lost would be more than made up by the price increase this past January. This would return to Tesla the position to educate the public/promote the lower cost of EVs. While I can understand the initial rollout of service centers is expensive, the service plan move always seemed like a mis-step to me... putting cost of service center buildout on early adapters rather bluntly.

It's possible the price increase was done at the start of the year as a way of folding the price of the service into the price of the car (not to rehash, but they definitely heard sizable portion of their customers displeasure on cost of plan). They've had a few months to see the impact of the price increase on reservations, and decide how much if any of service cost to waive.

Lower service cost, in fact the whole "5 part trilogy" may be away of getting ahead of sensationalist doom/gloom reporting we may see when Tesla almost certainly announces this quarter's reservations were 25-50% below last quarter. While doom/gloom reporting may be sillines, Tesla may see the business could benefit from a bit of a boost in value proposition they're offering, the trilogy being the boost.

I don't mean to raise false hopes, but I have a bit of cautious optimism they are substantially reducing (something like 50%) or even possibly eliminating service cost.

I thought this was going to be the "big" announcement last week. Now Elon says he wants to improve service... can't think of a better improvement for a car that just needs an annual checkup than making it less expensive to the customer (I mean what else can they do... all you can eat saltines while your car is being inspected?). Now these comments in this thread (including $600 for year not a guaranteed price) are encouraging.

I think it's right by customers and the right business decision. If they cut the price in half, eight years of service revenue lost would be more than made up by the price increase this past January. This would return to Tesla the position to educate the public/promote the lower cost of EVs. While I can understand the initial rollout of service centers is expensive, the service plan move always seemed like a mis-step to me... putting cost of service center buildout on early adapters rather bluntly.

It's possible the price increase was done at the start of the year as a way of folding the price of the service into the price of the car (not to rehash, but they definitely heard sizable portion of their customers displeasure on cost of plan). They've had a few months to see the impact of the price increase on reservations, and decide how much if any of service cost to waive.

Lower service cost, in fact the whole "5 part trilogy" may be away of getting ahead of sensationalist doom/gloom reporting we may see when Tesla almost certainly announces this quarter's reservations were 25-50% below last quarter. While doom/gloom reporting may be sillines, Tesla may see the business could benefit from a bit of a boost in value proposition they're offering, the trilogy being the boost.

Would be thrilled if your premonition is right, but it seems unlikely that Tesla would announce the service plans only a few weeks ago and then reduce or eliminate them now.

I do too Nigel, but given the response to the service plan in the fall, I don't think they would increase the cost of the plan anytime soon.

I know when I called to cancel my reservation, I was sure to let them know that the service plan was the straw on the camels back for me, pushing a car that was already a huge stretch out of reach. I doubt I was the only one to cancel because of it.