Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
I have been ranting about this on the X forum as the service plans just became available at a 30% increase and us early adopters have to pay an extra $500 for the extended warranty: FINALLY!!! Maintenance Plans and Extended Service Agreement which I find to be totally unfair as they just became available.

But you S owners who didn't purchase the service plans are up for a significant price hike as well.
Maintenance Plans
Vehicle Warranty

In comparison the 4 year prepay service on my Cadillac ELR was only $600. I had the car for 3 years and I haven't paid a penny more.

I hope Elon will make things right as he even proclaimed the SC isn't a profit center. We all gotta Tweet him:
MacTechGenius on Twitter
MacTechGenius on Twitter

I was saving up to purchase the 8 year service plan before my 60 days expires in a few weeks, and had just gotten it by about next week, when this happened. Now, "8 year/100,000 mile" service plan is no longer available.

Does this mean mile 50,000 - 100,000 incurs costs every time I go to the service center? How much is it? I always knew I'd purchase the 8 year plan, so never researched the alternatives. Looking at the charts, the 12,500 mile (or 1 year) inspections look similar in price to the prepaid plans now. I think if this holds, this isn't as big a deal as I thought.

Since they give you 12,500 miles (or 12 months for low mileage drivers) now instead of 60 days to get prepaid service, it seems more urgent to get the 50,000 mile warranty extension first before they stop offering it.

--- edit:

From Elektrec:
they can perform maintenance activities or hardware upgrades that are installed for free to the performance or the reliability of certain components of the car.
So, what HW upgrades? How much if no prepaid svc agreement?

Last edited:
They are now including the alignment, which they used to charge $105 extra for. They are also recommending a drive unit fluid change on Year one, which of course begs the question, should all of us who've had cars for multiple years immediately get that done?

The prices are so ridiculous, and completely goes against the "less maintenance on an EV" marketing BS they've been claiming.

That figures... Placed an order for an S 100D on the first day, and up until this morning, the 8 year service plan was $4K and extra 4 year extended warranty was $4K.

This morning - a 4 year service plan is $2400 - no reference to an 8 year service plan, and the 4 year extended warranty is now $4250.

I literally just got my first annual done last week. Looks like I missed out on the free alignment!

I don't see how this would save any money - my annual was $400+$105 for the alignment. The cost of the 3 year service plan is $1550.

Do the future annual services cost more?

I literally just got my first annual done last week. Looks like I missed out on the free alignment!

I don't see how this would save any money - my annual was $400+$105 for the alignment. The cost of the 3 year service plan is $1550.

Yes future annual's cost more.

The costs were increased by $75 to account for the inclusion of the annual, which is less than the $105 you paid. Of course now there is no choice but to do the alignment regardless of if it is necessary.

Are alignments really required every year? Of course I've had two alignments in the first two months or ownership and the car still doesn't track well, so maybe the answer is yes. But what makes the S so different than other cars out there where this is really a thing to do every year?

Drive unit fluid change at first service...seems like a new requirement...also is battery fluid change earlier?

Cynical me thinks they are trying to catch people who thought like me -- the prepaid service saves a bit of money, but if I just skip the first service (where they weren't really doing anything), that will save me even more. Now they put something important-sounding in the first service to keep people from skipping it.

Cynical me thinks they are trying to catch people who thought like me -- the prepaid service saves a bit of money, but if I just skip the first service (where they weren't really doing anything), that will save me even more. Now they put something important-sounding in the first service to keep people from skipping it.

I think it's a legit need. Most people know that lots of material is created as a gearset goes through the break-in. These days auto OEMs have chosen to pretend that doesn't occur or is no longer needed, but really they just want their service intervals to be longer for the market expectations.

Getting that crap out of the oil (gearset or IC engine, etc) as soon as possible has always been a priority for people who have expertise. This was probably delayed despite the many documented drive unit issues because Tesla made such noise early on about EV being maintenance free.

"Not a profit center" Haha
I kind of wonder if, at this point, they have to keep raising prices to try to reduce load on the SCs. At least around here, they're all slammed. It seems to me like they've decided they need to discourage people from bringing their cars in. It would also explain the earlier switch to per-visit fees for extended warranty service.

On the other hand, a shop labor rate of $175/hr always kind of illustrated the "not a profit center" label was half-hearted.

It's interesting they put the alignments back into the maintenance agreements, though.

Eh, I am still not buying the service plan. It's only $200 cheaper for 4 years anyway. Not enough of a savings to make me prepay. Since my car is a CPO, my first service is actually the 50k one which is now $50 cheaper (yay?). I was going to skip the minor services since I drive 25k a year, but maybe I will bring it in for the 62.5k service for that drive unit flush.

The whole, "you can skip the annual inspection" thing seems to be out the window entirely now.

I am not seeing the "hardware upgrades" that Electrek mentions. Anyone else find that?

Here is the full list of checks:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/annual_service_inspection_checklist_en_us.pdf

IMG_0320.jpg
IMG_0321.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like anyone can purchase the ESA now. I believe it was only the original owner so buying a used one still,under warranty you'd need to decide to pony up another $4k and ask the seller to buy it and then transfer it to you. Anyone else see this as well?

Where do the options show up on your My Tesla page? I have a CPO, so I don't expect to see the extended warranty, but I should be eligible for the maintenance plan since I just bought my car in December.