Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Supercharging at more than 150 kW might be possible. We could find out for certain next weekend, assuming @Jason Bloomberg's battery is preconditioned and at the optimal SoC.
I've not seen 150kW at any charger even when my battery capacity was at or slightly below 20%, and I have the same pack as Jason (a few months sooner), fyi.

There is NO core discount, but there is a charge if you want to keep the battery.

$22k = new battery in your car and they keep the old battery

$22k + $15k (approx.) = new battery in your car and YOU keep the old battery*

*You can buy used batterypacks in the $12k +/- range, if you have some other project or endeavor you wish to embark upon.

Very interesting, thanks.

Even if we assume that the used battery is worth ~$10K, it looks like Tesla is pricing this new pack ~$32K then. I have heard their cost to make the pack is closer to $10K - a little bit over $100 per kWh. Leaving the cost of transportation and labor aside, it looks they are making a substantial profit on these new packs.

Reactions: krishna3812
In the case of 1014116, the pack is a new configuration of 100kWh pack, as others have mentioned, with two modules removed, making it ~85kWh, 350VDC with the 90kWh chemistry (instead of the old 85kWh). I would say all 1014116 packs (A or B) are new at this time. The B just being the newer revision.

I believe the 1014116 pack being the replacement for the old 85kWh packs was reported first in Jan. 2020 with lots of good discussion in the thread below:

Interesting. And I was assuming the new 350v 85 could never a P85DL battery replacement but if it's still 1762 amps, then it can still output 450KW which matches an original 1500 amp 85 but NOT a 1600 amp V3 90 pack.

There is NO core discount, but there is a charge if you want to keep the battery.

$22k = new battery in your car and they keep the old battery

$22k + $15k (approx.) = new battery in your car and YOU keep the old battery*

*You can buy used batterypacks in the $12k +/- range, if you have some other project or endeavor you wish to embark upon.

The core discount is $15K.

Even if we assume that the used battery is worth ~$10K, it looks like Tesla is pricing this new pack ~$32K then. I have heard their cost to make the pack is closer to $10K - a little bit over $100 per kWh. Leaving the cost of transportation and labor aside, it looks they are making a substantial profit on these new packs.
Given their margin of 25-30% on new cars they sell, this doesn't make sense for current owner. Seems like they don't want old cars on road

$37,000 or so

Others who've had 90s installed in their P85s DO report it saying P90.
PXL_20210427_191106013.jpg

The 1350 amp battery wasn't even made until late 2014 so how did you get an A let alone one that has been upgraded to 1500 amps?
My car was delivered march 2015 in the first batch of P85D's in Denmark. Later I had the Ludicrous upgrade and when my original pack shut down in january 2021 I got the 350V 85kWh 1014116A pack. The car still says P85D with a Ludicrous line under, I've not had a chance to see what the max amp draw is, but I would be very upset if it does not deliver the full kW of Ludicrous.

I've not seen 150kW at any charger even when my battery capacity was at or slightly below 20%, and I have the same pack as Jason (a few months sooner), fyi.
I have the 350V 85 kWh version of that battery and in this charging session I never got above 115kW, top was 114.74kW with battery temperature between 36.14 and 44.73C. Charging from SoC 6% to 99%. Pretty disappointing.

4930-Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202021-02-28%20kl.%2021.34.35.png

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
My car was delivered march 2015 in the first batch of P85D's in Denmark. Later I had the Ludicrous upgrade and when my original pack shut down in january 2021 I got the 350V 85kWh 1014116A pack. The car still says P85D with a Ludicrous line under, I've not had a chance to see what the max amp draw is, but I would be very upset if it does not deliver the full kW of Ludicrous.

Please keep us updated.

That's a weird way to think of it.

A customer is paying for a fixed pack. The cost of the repair is $22k where the repair happens to replace all the parts of the pack. No reason to think you'd ever get to keep the old part.

If you take your car to Gruber and they fix it by cutting a wire for $5000 it isn't a $20k repair because they didn't give you a broken pack in addition to the one they fixed, even if they'd be happy to sell you a broken pack for $15k.

You want a fixed pack? You pay $22k. If you want a fixed pack *and* a broken pack, that's a different transaction.

A customer is paying for a fixed pack. The cost of the repair is $22k where the repair happens to replace all the parts of the pack. No reason to think you'd ever get to keep the old part.

If you take your car to Gruber and they fix it by cutting a wire for $5000 it isn't a $20k repair because they didn't give you a broken pack in addition to the one they fixed, even if they'd be happy to sell you a broken pack for $15k.

You want a fixed pack? You pay $22k. If you want a fixed pack *and* a broken pack, that's a different transaction.

Very weird.

Reactions: pleeau

I'll disagree with that (part of that sentiment).

The customer is paying for a NEW pack ($22k). They do not "fix" the pack; they install a brand new replacement pack (look at the labor time charged - there is no fixing).

Now, if for $22k Tesla goes into the back and removes each cell and replaces them, that's fixing...we're talking about replacing ;)

...perhaps semantics? Except you are comparing a replacement (Tesla) vs a repair (Gruber, etc).

Really weird how you saw that.

Tesla sold old pack to customer with car and I guess they don't have any say in what customer does with that pack.

When customer asks for new pack, tesla is saying cost is ~$37k with no trade in or ~$22k with trade-in of old pack.