Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set to 90%, car charged to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
I was on my way to bed and as I am neurotic I thought I'd check if the car had finished charging in the garage from our recent trip. My phone showed 100% SOC on the car and I immediately thought "damn I forgot to set it back to 90% again!" and went out to the car for a quick drive to draw the battery down.

I usually keep it at 90% but had set it to 100% this morning when I woke up at the hotel in order to get a bit more charge past 90% on the destination charger while we got ready to leave. I think it only got to 92 or maybe 93% before we were loaded up and ready to leave. I hit one Supercharger on the way home and left before it even got to 90%. So I'd completely forgotten to reset it ... or so I thought!

After my quick sprint through the local hills I got back to the house around 86% and went into charge settings to adjust the limit. It was already at 90%! I must have made the change while on the road home early in the day and forgot that I hadn't forgot this time! I thought I was wrong - turns out I was mistaken!

There are MANY other threads on this topic.

Charged past the limit that i set
Battery charged over the set limit ?
Charging beyond the set 90% limit
Charging beyond the set limit
Model X Charges past set point
Charging past limit?
Tesla app charging more than set limit
Charging beyond set limit

None of them reference the vehicle charging all the way to 100%. Usually it's 2 to 4% over the set limit.

I suspect what has happened in my circumstance is that one or both of my wife and my phones somehow got out of sync with the car and sent it a 100% charge limit command after I had previously set it back to 90%. Is there another explanation? Has anyone else had their car charge well beyond the set limit, even reaching 100%?

Anyway, it was a fun late night blast down an empty rural highway. Shame it's not a convertible.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Could be BMS drift but 90/100 sounds too far off. I got mine set to 80 last night and woke up to 84%
I don’t experience that in daily driving. Normally only the day after supercharging then overnight on an AC charger.
Same issue here and we have evidence that it is not due to battery temp or anything - it just keeps charging past the set limit (see picture we took in car - battery is beyond limit, but still charging)
1663262614598.png

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
My Model 3 has been charging past the limit the last couple months. I usually have it set at 90% but often it goes up to 92 or 93%.

I also usually have my car sit for a few days at the limit since I only drive on weekends… so having the battery sit at high charges like this has me worried for the health of the battery.

I know some people with this issue just set the charging limit lower at something like 80 or 85 but when I drive on the weekends it’s a 200+ mile drive so I don’t want to set the limit too low. Hope this bug can be fixed but apparently it’s been a problem for years now.

Attachments

• 19622B60-EA01-4963-BCA1-B87EBC4659FC.jpeg
    19622B60-EA01-4963-BCA1-B87EBC4659FC.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 58