Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shattered lift window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LONG time reader, but first post. After being at work about 3 hours I walked out to my car to find the lift window shattered. I had nothing in the car to steal and I couldn't see any signs of vandalism (plus it's in a very public place). It was 20F this morning but it was thru a much colder winter last year. Could this of been caused by the cold? I have a call into the service center and waiting for a response. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry, pasted imaged didn't show above.
IMG_3659.jpg

Sorry to hear about your damage. To me it looks like an impact at the driver-side top corner of the window. Not only is there glass missing there, but the fracture lines seems to radiate out from that point. My guess is that a rock or some hard object hit this window. Did you piss off any pidgeon's recently? I would guess that it's probably due to accidental damage (eg. Truck kicking up a rock) but it certainly could be caused by someone throwing rocks at your car.

Look for rocks or other hard objects on your roof, in your trunk or next to your car for evidence of the object that caused this damage.

Did you get any alarm notifications from your car? It would be nice if the car's alarm would have detected this impact so that you can track down the exact time the damage was done. Maybe invest in a 2-channel dashcam as well.

If the alarm didn't detect this impact what would it detect??
I agree! It's just that I haven't been able to trigger my car alarm with the following:
  • hitting the windshield/side-window with my hand
  • bouncing the front suspension by pushing up/down on the hood.
  • leaving window opened and reaching in to open the door
I don't want to damage my vehicle, so I haven't tried anything more severe than the above. I have some reservations whether the alarm works in my car.

If the alarm didn't detect this impact what would it detect??

In America Continent market, Tesla Security System only alarms when a door, trunk, frunk is opened without a fob.

In European Union market, Tesla Security Package can do the above with the addition of:

Tilt (towing would trigger the siren)
Intrusion
Motion (live dogs in your Tesla would trigger the siren)
Broken widow

• Helpful
Reactions: bak_phy
Yeah like vandacca said, I looked for objects in or around the car and saw none.
No the alarm never went off.
To be clear, this is the rear window and happened when parked. I wasn't aware of any chips or cracks previously....but seems like they would be hard to get on the rear window.

One thing that does set off the alarm is opening the falcon wing door from the inside when the key is not present. Haven't tested to figure out exact circumstances but it has happened a few times.

In America Continent market, Tesla Security System only alarms when a door, trunk, frunk is opened without a fob.

In European Union market, Tesla Security Package can do the above with the addition of:

Tilt (towing would trigger the siren)
Intrusion
Motion (live dogs in your Tesla would trigger the siren)
Broken widow
Hi Tam, Where did you get this information? I would love to have the European functionality, but at this point I don't even have the NA functionality. Maybe because all Canadians are polite and respectful, Tesla decided not to activate the alarm system in Canada?

I have left the driver's window open and moved the fob far away. I was able to open the driver's door from the interior handle and surprisingly the FWD from the interior switch (exterior handles did not work). No alarm what-so-ever. I haven't yet tried to pop the hood from the emergency tabs, but maybe I'll try that this weekend after I wash my vehicle.

An interesting note is that if you don't have the fob, the windows can't be raised or lowered, even if you unlock the vehicle with the phone app.

With regards to @Snowhound's issue, I wonder if someone vandalized your vehicle with a hammer (or something similar)? Next best thing to a dashcam is a witness.

My daughter took my wife's RAV4 to work one day and came back with a cracked windshield. When we went to get the windshield replaced, they found 3 white decorative rocks on the roof, which happened to match the rocks in the garden across the street from where my daughter worked.

...I don't even have the NA functionality...

Just to double check, did you personally set the alarm on yet?

Controls > Settings > Safety & Security > Alarm

...windows can't be raised or lowered...

I don't know about recent ICE but with my experience of older ICE, powered windows, radio... did not work without turning on the ignition key to accessory position. May be Tesla is emulating ICE's behavior which is inconvenient?

Just to double check, did you personally set the alarm on yet?

Controls > Settings > Safety & Security > Alarm

I don't know about recent ICE but with my experience of older ICE, powered windows, radio... did not work without turning on the ignition key to accessory position. May be Tesla is emulating ICE's behavior which is inconvenient?
Yes, I have set Controls > Settings > Safety & Security > Alarm > On. Yet, I've never managed to trigger the alarm.
I don't have the "Tilt/Intrusion" setting, which would have been nice. I find it strange that Europe gets these extra features (probably legislated) and Tesla chooses to leave them out for North America. It's already implemented, what is the harm in including it in all vehicles?

Back to the OP - document all of it with pictures and bring to the SC - my guess is there was an odd stress point or some other damage that was not noticeable and if none of the glass (I am assuming the missing glass fell inwards and was in your X) shows an impact point they should be able to piece it back together (unless the whole thing collapsed) to see that there was no impact, etc (or that there was in fact an impact).

Good luck and update with what happens...