Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shift from P to D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it strange that when I get in my Model 3 to drive I have to press down the right stalk twice to shift from P to D. This does not happen all the time but quite frequently. It can also happen if I need to shift to R from P. Again, not all the time, but seems more frequent when the car has been resting and I get in to drive.

While maneuvering between R and D I never have this issue. Has anyone noticed this? Or does the shifting always work for you 100% of the times?

But when you don’t have your foot on the brake, you get an alert to put your foot on the brake. When it happens there is no alert whatsoever. It just doesn’t shift.

I’m trying to get used to just double pressing the stalk just to be sure. Kinda like when you double click on the computer mouse.

I get this all the time also. I've gotten in the bad habit of quickly pressing the stalk down repeatedly until the screen shows it has shifted gears. This was never a problem when we had the "Always On" option, so I suspect it has something to do with the car waking up.

I’m trying to get used to just double pressing the stalk just to be sure

Dont just get used to that (no, really, im not joking, dont get used to that). Pull it once, and pause, and wait to see if its in Drive. If you "get used to that" you run the VERY REAL chance that you will inadvertently activate Autopilot by using the same double pull command, and have the car then move.

You will then be here posting about "the car took off by itself"/ "unintended acceleration". Dont get used to double pulling the stalk unless you are SPECIFICALLY trying to activate autopilot.

In my experience it doesn’t register the gear shift until at least the second warning “bong” has passed. So the first second or two after first stepping on the brake pedal it won’t register the gear shift.

Best practice is to tap the brake pedal as soon as you get in to turn on the car. Then you can put on your seatbelt and adjust the radio or whatever else you need to do. By then the car will be fully ready to go and should just require a single press to goto R or D.

In my experience it doesn’t register the gear shift until at least the second warning “bong” has passed. So the first second or two after first stepping on the brake pedal it won’t register the gear shift.

Best practice is to tap the brake pedal as soon as you get in to turn on the car. Then you can put on your seatbelt and adjust the radio or whatever else you need to do. By then the car will be fully ready to go and should just require a single press to goto R or D.
This workflow is what I do as well (tap the brake as soon as I get in the car, then put on seatbelts, sunglasses etc).

To answer the OPs question, yes, if I am impatient or try to put the car in drive right after I sit down, many times it will not activate. I never tried to see how long it took, but realized pretty quickly that it was just me not letting the car fully wake up, so switched to the workflow @E90alex described above.

What’s “Always On” option?

It was called Always Connected. The vehicle used more power but was always very responsive. Now I sometimes have to press the door two or three times before it opens, or push the charging cable button many times before the charge port will open. And yes, press the gear selector down multiple times. Tesla removed this option several years ago presumably to preserve battery but I find it annoying.

Dont just get used to that (no, really, im not joking, dont get used to that). Pull it once, and pause, and wait to see if its in Drive. If you "get used to that" you run the VERY REAL chance that you will inadvertently activate Autopilot by using the same double pull command, and have the car then move.

You will then be here posting about "the car took off by itself"/ "unintended acceleration". Dont get used to double pulling the stalk unless you are SPECIFICALLY trying to activate autopilot.

OP...

For a Definitive example of what I am describing above, please see this thread:

Specifically, the first post. The original poster in this thread claimed the car accelerated on its own (bolded emphasis mine):

==================================================

I was visiting the Arby's drive-thru today in Pryor, Oklahoma. It's located next to hwy 69, which has a 35 mph speed limit. I had either the autopilot (non-beta) or cruise control on before I pulled in. I stopped to order, then I stopped and had to wait a bit on my food. I had the car in park.

After I got my food, I put my food on the brake, hit the "drive" lever a couple of times (a habit, because it sometimes misses it the first try).

I am absolutely certain I didn't press the accelerator more than just a tap. There was a car a few feet in front of me waiting on food. My car took off in a moderately fast acceleration (which seemed really really fast at the time) toward the parked car. I heard the three beeps I get whenever I unsuccessfully try to engage autopilot.

I slammed on the brakes right away, but the car was going fast enough that the tires skidded when I stopped. (Nice acceleration, even in chill mode.) I'm pretty sure the Arby's employees and the people in the car I almost rear-ended were impressed with my superb driving, but being the humble soul I am, I did not wait around for compliments. To add insult to injury, Arby's was out of turkey and I had to get beef!

At this drive through, my car always thinks there is a 35 mph speed limit, even inside the drive through. This is not the first time its happened at this drive-thru. I've seen it at least a dozen times. This is the first time I've almost rammed somebody, however.

I have tried to duplicate it, but haven't been able to consistently. Either I haven't hit on the right combination of commands, or it's an intermittent occurrence with the car. I would like to re-iterate that I am definitely not hitting the accelerator too hard.

I am not interested in demanding a recall, contacting the NHTSA, etc., as it would be a waste of time. I'd like to see Tesla fix the bug, but trying to get that done would also be a waste of time.

I would like to know if anybody else knows what's causing this. How can I prevent it? It seems like it must be a software problem, in which case there must be a specific situation that causes this to happen. Maybe someone else has experienced this and analyzed it? My car is a 2020 Model Y, the VIN number ends in 001271.

Reactions: Transformer
It’s not the car waking up. It has to clear a certain “check” that it goes through (air bags, ABS, etc.). The icons show up in a vertical column on the left hand side after you first tap the brake pedal after getting in the car, and you can see them quickly disappear one by one. If you wait until they’re all gone, it should always shift into D on the first try. It will let you shift after they’re about halfway gone, just not sure exactly which it is.

Most of the left side typical “dash lights” as part of built in test need to turn off before you can shift from P to D. For me, I have trained to shift only after my steering wheel has completed moving from my “high steering setting” Easy Entry mode to my personal drive profile setting.

Reactions: Benito1283
It’s not the car waking up. It has to clear a certain “check” that it goes through (air bags, ABS, etc.). The icons show up in a vertical column on the left hand side after you first tap the brake pedal after getting in the car, and you can see them quickly disappear one by one. If you wait until they’re all gone, it should always shift into D on the first try. It will let you shift after they’re about halfway gone, just not sure exactly which it is.

This!

^^^ Yes. After about half of the warning lights turn off (in the power-on self test), it'll always shift into gear.

It would be a good thing to add to the Owner's Manual.