Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shimmering Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get this too, I just figured I was feeling the road. Seems to happen mostly when changing lanes. kind of like when you veer off the highway and you hit the part of the road designed to make tire noise and wake you up, only not as bad right?

As @skitown mentions this is almost definitely lane departure warning when you are trying to change lanes without your turn signal being engaged.

If you are trying to forcefully change lines while autopilot is engaged... please don't do that. It will cause the autopilot to disengage forcefully. You can use your signal while on autopilot to have the car automatically make your lane change or you can move the autopilot stock up once to disengage the autopilot if you want to make your lane change manually... but you should still do other motorists a favor and signal.

I'm not sure what's more depressing.... that someone doesn't use their signal enough that this becomes a 'problem' or that shimmy becames shimmer and shakes becomes shacks.

It happens on street . Around 35 MPH going Straight. Only for a few seconds.

Yes. Feels like going over lane bumps.

Must be something to do with lane departure as stated in postings. Some kind of Glich with recent Up-Date to my car.

If doesn’t correct. Will that it isn’t service.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Reactions: alfadur

Must be something to do with lane departure as stated in postings. Some kind of Glich with recent Up-Date to my car.

This can also happen if you drive over a section of road that the car thinks has a lane line when it really doesn't. I've experienced this myself, mostly if the road has a crack in it or there was some repair job to the road in a long straight line. It can confuse the autopilot cameras and make it trigger the lane departure warning.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner

You can disable it. Per manual:

Lane Assist also warns you of undesired lane
departures by vibrating the steering wheel
slightly if a front wheel passes over a lane
marking and the associated turn signal is off.
This warning is active only when driving
between approximately 36 and 90 mph (59
and 150 km/h). To turn this warning on or off,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Settings > Lane
Departure Warning
. Your chosen setting is
retained until you manually change it.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
This can also happen if you drive over a section of road that the car thinks has a lane line when it really doesn't. I've experienced this myself, mostly if the road has a crack in it or there was some repair job to the road in a long straight line. It can confuse the autopilot cameras and make it trigger the lane departure warning.

Same here. In our section of PA some side roads have badly faded lines, and some roads aren't even marked. I find that the lane departure warning vibrates often on cracked or unmarked roads.