Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shocked by the new Roadster rolling out of the Tesla Semi!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using this data I played around in paint and came up with the following. Obviously there is some room for error but I used the same methodology on both vehicles. I used a 20 inch rim for the Roadster and 19 inch rim for the Model 3. Actual Model 3 wheelbase is 113.2 so I'm off by 2.7 inches. I think it's reasonable to assume the Roadster and 3 are fairly close in wheel base, if not the same.

View attachment 261522
Are you counting hub to hub for wheelbase?
Looks like 5.25 on Roadster and 5.5 for the 3.
One potential problem with your method is that it looks like you are including the flange height, rim diameter is the inner seating surface.

Edit: forgot an 'are'

Using this data I played around in paint and came up with the following. Obviously there is some room for error but I used the same methodology on both vehicles. I used a 20 inch rim for the Roadster and 19 inch rim for the Model 3. Actual Model 3 wheelbase is 113.2 so I'm off by 2.7 inches. I think it's reasonable to assume the Roadster and 3 are fairly close in wheel base, if not the same.

View attachment 261522
I used paint also, the selection tool lets you measure things by pixels, so I used horizontal wheel diameter as the reference and ratioed the other dimensions (Also checked tires against each other)

I'm betting that Roadster prototype did not have a 200kWh pack, I'd think maybe half that. They should be able to launch all night long with no recharge, the distances are small and the full power output is only for about 2 seconds.

I also wonder how Tesla managed to fit 200 kWh in such a small space. I think they must be using a new "2019-2020" chemistry to do it. For the prototype Roadster at the event, you very well could be right about it not having a production spec 200 kWh pack. My first thought was that the prototype was using a high power/lower energy chemistry, perhaps LTO.

However, I am now thinking it is more likely that the Roadster at the event was using prototype "2020 cells." In order to test the 2020 design, Panasonic would need to be producing prototype cells already, and Tesla product engineers would also want to test them in a complete pack (and demonstrate at the event).

GSP

Reactions: Cloxxki
Are you counting hub to hub for wheelbase?

I thought I was but I realize I screwed up on the front wheels :oops: So subtract 10 inches on the Roadster total and 8 inches on the Model 3 total. The numbers won't be right because of the other issue you raised below but the ratio should be similar.

One potential problem with your method is that it looks like you are including the flange height, rim diameter is the inner seating surface.

Yup, which explains the under calculation for both vehicles.

For many of us with chronic back problems, this seating position is quite irritating. This is one reason that I need more breaks driving my S compared to the X. The X is a much more upright seating position and therefore easier on my back.
Would love to see a panoramic windshield on the s similar to the x if they can master an automated retractable shade from the cross member, sit up higher, that sort of thing.... personally I want the seat in the semi Truck have you seen it?, oh crap off topic

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I also wonder how Tesla managed to fit 200 kWh in such a small space. I think they must be using a new "2019-2020" chemistry to do it. For the prototype Roadster at the event, you very well could be right about it not having a production spec 200 kWh pack. My first thought was that the prototype was using a high power/lower energy chemistry, perhaps LTO.

However, I am now thinking it is more likely that the Roadster at the event was using prototype "2020 cells." In order to test the 2020 design, Panasonic would need to be producing prototype cells already, and Tesla product engineers would also want to test them in a complete pack (and demonstrate at the event).

GSP
They should be able to get those specs with the current p100d battery stacked. But with this car it’s so short and thin that it’s all muscle, no weight, and thicker on the bottom. My guess is that the car absolutely had a 200kWh pack! It had Carbon fiber wheels by the looks of it up close. I’d be very curious to know what kind of body they will be using

This got me thinking so I looked at some videos trying to get a better perspective as to the floor height of the Roadster. It's actually higher than I realized and the distance between the floor and the bottom of the car is greater than I would have imagined. Definitely enough room for a double stack pack though I still suspect it's under 200kWh at this point in time. I think it would have to be to keep it within the wheelbase.

In this pic Franz has not yet lifted his foot off the floor.

View attachment 261193
Anyone else have been wondering if Franz spent the whole Semi presentation sitting in the Roadster, inside the Semi's trailer? The video production kind of failed at tracking the trucks once they started to leave, and well, am interested in how these events are put together #OCD. ;-)

Since the human body can withstand 46 G's, there's room to improve.

Remember that the 1.44 G figure is horizontal acceleration only. You also have 1 G acting in the vertical direction from gravity. Total G force on the body is therefore:

(1^2 + 1.44^2)^0.5 = 1.75 G

This acceleration is acting on the body in a downward and rearward direction, at an angle of 34.77 degrees from horizontal
(straight into the seat :) ).

I was amazed at people dropping $250,000 on a reservation like it was nothing. Then today I'm talking to a coworker and I'm wondering how bad the insurance will be.

I'm thinking even if you gave me a 2020 roadster for the price of a Model 3 I couldn't afford the difference in insurance costs.