Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shoddy customer service from Tesla Honolulu? Plz prove me wrong!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently attempted to contact Tesla Service Center in Honolulu, HI. No response from the local number (808-591-0614). On the 2nd attempt I called another line (808-680-9260) which turned out to be the general contact for Tesla Motors, I assume out of Cali, despite having a Hawaii area code. Finally reaching a representative, he tells me he has access to all Tesla Service locations and I can schedule a service appointment in Honolulu thru him. We determine that my issues would be better suited for a Tesla Ranger to be dispatched to my house instead of me driving all the way into town. The appointment is confirmed for Wednesday @ 1100 (last week). I waited HOURS. No Tesla Ranger, no phone call, nothing. Days passed, still nothing. Throughout this time I called Tesla repeatedly, both numbers. No answer from the local number, and the general number’s wait time is ridiculously too long to just wait that time out. Issues remain on my Model 3 and it’s been nearly a week. Getting irritated. Can anyone relate to this experience? Solutions?

The SC is in Honolulu. I live in Ewa Beach/Kapolei area which geographically isn’t far but Hawaii’s traffic is nuts. I’d rather avoid taking the drive unless push comes to shove. I just expect the best from Tesla and I don’t want to lose confidence in the local service.

No. Does not sound like Tesla Service. Sounds like someone dropped the ball in this particular situation. Whatever the problem was at Tesla, it was the exception, absolutely not routine. Considering how permanent the post here is, it was not fair to post this until its been followed up with a manager and found out what the problem was. And then, post if desired and include the reason/outcome. As Paul Harvey used to say ...The rest of the story. I can say this because in my 5 1/2 years dealing with Tesla and Tesla Service, (many times) I've never experienced less than better than any other car manufacturer/dealer service.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have to say, this was ROUTINE. Tesla communications is ALWAYS like that.

Someone dropped the ball. Which is what's routine.

Once you actually manage to get through to an actual Ranger or Service Center tech, it'll be great.

But my experience, for 5 3/4 years, is that the ball gets dropped over and over. Communications is nonexistent. The person in the California call center was basically lying when he said he could set up an appointment in Hawaii; he can't. He doesn't know their schedule and they disregard anything the guy in California does.

Your best bet is to show up in person at the local center and badger them until *they* give you an appointment (Ranger or on-site, whatever). They really know their schedules and will actually give you a real appointment, and then it'll be fine.

They do a great job. It's just the communications are borked.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Sorry, I have to say, this was ROUTINE. Tesla communications is ALWAYS like that.

Once you actually manage to get through to an actual Ranger or Service Center tech, it'll be great.

But my experience, for 5 3/4 years, is that the ball gets dropped over and over. Communications is nonexistent. The person in the California call center was basically lying when he said he could set up an appointment in Hawaii; he can't. He doesn't know their schedule and they disregard anything the guy in California does.

Your best bet is to show up in person at the local center and badger them until *they* give you an appointment (Ranger or on-site, whatever). They really know their schedules and will actually give you a real appointment, and then it'll be fine.

I agree with you that communication within Tesla is not the greatest, but while I appreciate your input, since you don't have any experience with the Honolulu service center, it's not fair for you to generalize. Like Akikiki, i've been dealing with them for over 5 years and they are NOT like their mainland counterparts.

Only until recently with the hurricanes and the big increase in deliveries from all the Model 3s coming have I had any negative issues with the service center here. But I also believe they were not prepared for the type of growth they are experiencing here so may take a little while for them to get over the growing pains.

Amazing that someone/anyone that lives 5,000+ miles from our city can possibly know what goes on at our service center. Even thinks they know what goes on even in CA.

I agree with you that communication within Tesla is not the greatest, but while I appreciate your input, since you don't have any experience with the Honolulu service center, it's not fair for you to generalize. Like Akikiki, i've been dealing with them for over 5 years and they are NOT like their mainland counterparts.

Only until recently with the hurricanes and the big increase in deliveries from all the Model 3s coming have I had any negative issues with the service center here. But I also believe they were not prepared for the type of growth they are experiencing here so may take a little while for them to get over the growing pains.
I can only echo what nanimac and aikikiki have said. for the last 5 -3/4 years I have had no problems with either the ranger service or the service center appointments. although I no longer see same day service (when the service center was in Waipahu, I had a part break and dropped the car off at 4 PM they gave me a loner and I drove home to Kaka'ako. When I got home they called and told me that they had managed to fix it sooner than expected) while they have had a large increase in the number of employees at the service center we (Hawaii Tesla Owners) are on a first name basis with many of them and see them frequently during non working hours. I just ran into one today that gave up her parking spot in a busy shopping center when she saw me looking for a space. Hawaii Tesla employees treat us like family, because we are one big Tesla family.

Another long-term owner here, with generally the same experience as the rest of the early adopters. Great service, but have noticed that they have been a lot busier lately which is natural since Tesla sales are doing so spectacularly here. They are undoubtedly going through growing pains, but I'm still getting great service. They dropped the ball on me ONCE in my 5.5 years of experience, and I didn't follow-up so that's basically one employee on one particular day. When I last had my car in for service earlier this month, I was literally getting texts throughout the day keeping me up to date on the progress of the servicing. There were dozens of Model 3's jamming their parking lot waiting for delivery so I'm sure your experience will improve once they get up to speed with deliveries. Best of luck!

Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki

@neroden , I echo nanimac's view because Honolulu is typically excellent in how they service their customers. I took delivery of my first S in Honolulu and it was an excellent experience. In 2015 I took delivery of my 2nd S in Portland, Or., and it was a disappointing experience. Whether it was service or any other issue, Honolulu has typically be exemplary in my experience (as you know, the same cannot be said about many other mainland service centers).

Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki