Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Citron Research tweeted its apparent shorting recommendation at 10:56 am EDT: Citron Research (CitronResearch) on Twitter

What is incredible is that the tweet points to today's Time magazine puff piece for the BMW i3 that appears more like a press release from BMW: Nailed It? Why BMWs New i3 May Be the Most Popular Electric Car Yet | TIME.com

Curt, looks like this same observation hit the media, see here:
Tesla Spiking Down On Negative Citron Tweet (TSLA) | Benzinga

And, our new TMC member Julian Cox (excommunicated from Seeking Alpha) responded in kind in the comments section too - well done.

Not to cite the same article twice here on TMC (but I think it might be necessary) -- perhaps a more accurate analysis I pointed out yesterday in another thread might just be a far better comparison between i3 and MS:
BMW i3 review: Electric car is a cheap, ugly Tesla Model S with an SUV on the side.

The cascading is not necessarily due to anyone who is aware of Citron's announcement. Cascading usually occurs when shareholders have set up automatic stop loss limits. They each have separate limits, but they all fall like stacked dominoes one after another after a trigger has knocked over the first few.

I have never in my entire life used a stop order. When I buy a stock I hope that it goes down so that I can buy more of it at a discount (and not sell).

I managed to buy some more options today when the stock was at $129; already up 20% on that bet. I'll buy more tomorrow if TSLA goes down again.

Which however would mean that at the current level, maybe half of them should be able to buy back at a lower price (the first half).

Not really. The reality, or my own personal experience is with good stock like TSLA, you get stopped out at the exact moment where you should instead buy more on the dip.

Of course for other trading vehicle, stop loss is a must. Just TSLA is a different dynamic altogether.

It is hard to image people would place a stop at the $133-135 range, when only today (and a short period of yesterday) is above that level. Most people I suspect get stopped out at $130, and still at a loss right now $132.

Curt, looks like this same observation hit the media, see here:
Tesla Spiking Down On Negative Citron Tweet (TSLA) | Benzinga

And, our new TMC member Julian Cox (excommunicated from Seeking Alpha) responded in kind in the comments section too - well done.

Not to cite the same article twice here on TMC (but I think it might be necessary) -- perhaps a more accurate analysis I pointed out yesterday in another thread might just be a far better comparison between i3 and MS:
BMW i3 review: Electric car is a cheap, ugly Tesla Model S with an SUV on the side.

I love the fact that they need to change car even during the Commercial.

Indeed, but they may have to act quickly. The price is back to the midday level of both yesterday and today. Meanwhile, for those of us who have been shareholders for some time, this is shrugged off as just another blip. It's those that have bought recently who may have little patience and set tight stops. Many of those are day traders.

When one follows the stock closely, it feels much longer than just yesterday.

Yes, one could argue this was a blip upwards. Yet, to me, the upward movement felt natural, since we learned that Tesla is less likely to have serious competition in the foreseeable future. And still, more and more major automakers are justifying, promoting, and extending, the electric car market.

When one follows the stock closely, it feels much longer than just yesterday.

Yes, one could argue this was a blip upwards. Yet, to me, the upward movement felt natural, since we learned that Tesla is less likely to have serious competition in the foreseeable future. And still, more and more major automakers are justifying, promoting, and extending, the electric car market.

We're in agreement. I was referring to the downward "blip" from today's high.

Fun calculation:

10k invested in TSLA since Jan1: $37,257
10k invested in TSLA since Jan1, but only investing on Tuesdays: $9,515.
10k invested in TSLA since Jan1, but only investing in NON-tuesday days: $39,155

Speaking of Tuesdays, TSLA did pretty well today for a Tuesday. I would be happy except for the tease the first half of the day and then me buying two Dec calls after the first large dip only to have the stock dip down further...I should have trusted myself when I felt like today was going to be a down day :D At least they were DEC calls and not AUG monthlies or weeklies.

"The EIP Agreement provides that ending July 2013, if the company receives an
offer from a strategic competitor of Daimler to enter into an agreement for
development of a non-Tesla branded vehicle or an integrated electric powertrain
system, DNAC would be given the right of first refusal to enter into such
agreement with the company instead of, and on the same terms offered by, the
third party"

Any News here?

Citron Research issued a call to short the stock. For me, good buying opportunity on the dip

Citron Research is an online investment newsletter for short sellers: http://www.citronresearch.com/

Its editor is Andrew Left: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Left

He normally focuses on companies that might have been involved with corrupt or questionable dealings and may be headed for legal troubles. His twitter account has 6,895 followers that I would suspect to be largely short sellers. In Tesla’s case he simply tweeted about competition and provided a link to a BMW article in Time magazine. Nothing sinister seems to be suspected about Tesla. Since a report on Tesla does not appear in his newsletter, one must wonder about the motivation and timing of today’s tweet.

good info Curt and always love your insights but one minor correction on the above point, keep in mind that everyone who shorts today will not be accounted for in the Aug 9th NASDAQ short interest publication. Per their site below:
NASDAQ Short Interest Publication Schedule

the settled short positions as of July 31st will be published on Aug 9th. If I short TSLA today then that short position isn't 'settled' until Friday Aug 2nd because there is 3 business day settlement process for 99% of US stock trades.

Good point. Thanks for noting it. That may make the August 26 publication a little more interesting.

Citron Research is an online investment newsletter for short sellers: http://www.citronresearch.com/

Its editor is Andrew Left: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Left

He normally focuses on companies that might have been involved with corrupt or questionable dealings and may be headed for legal troubles. His twitter account has 6,895 followers that I would suspect to be largely short sellers. In Tesla’s case he simply tweeted about competition and provided a link to a BMW article in Time magazine. Nothing sinister seems to be suspected about Tesla. Since a report on Tesla does not appear in his newsletter, one must wonder about the motivation and timing of today’s tweet.

In 1998, in his first job, Mr. Left was found by the National Futures Association to have: “MADE FALSE AND MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO CHEAT, DEFRAUD OR DECEIVE A CUSTOMER IN VIOLATION OF NFA COMPLIANCE RULES 2-2(a) AND 2-29(a)(1). ” Mr. Left was debarred for three years, among other punishments.

He fabricated information about Mr. Rana (calling him a thief who steal from the elderly), and Mr. Rana sued Mr. Left for libel. Mr. Left failed to comply with the court’s order for discovery. As a result, the court issued a judgment, ordering Mr. Left to pay Mr. Rana $2,500,000 for damages.

and

Citron started down the slippery slope of attacking companies arbitrarily. In June, 2011, Citron attacked Harbin Electric, on which it issued five reports, claiming that “shareholders are holding a company that is a potential 0….yes a 0, as in donut. ” Citron’s report Caused Harbin share price to drop from $16.50 to $8. However, to Citron’s chagrin, Harbin was acquired a few months later for $24 per share.

I've been short ANGI (angie's list) when Citron attacked it. Right now I'm long when he attacked tesla. I'd have to say, when he attacked angi's list I was completely unimpressed by the attack, by the level of investigation, and by the "citron report". It moved the stock about 2% that day, but the stock recovered quickly, as tesla did today. The citron report looks like a kid went nuts with the highlighter, having red, yellow and black text all over the place, exclamation marks and bold text all over the place. Point being, I'm not too concerned about this guy. When he was on the same side as me before, it made me think "if this looney is taking the same position as me, maybe I need to reconsider".

Frankly I think this draws more shorts into the stock, which could have positive implication for an upward move if there's an earnings beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.