Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first time since May this morning I took off a slight amount of money off of TSLA and bought into SPWR Sunpower. Sunpower announces earnings tomorrow. Solar industry and Tesla go hand in hand in my opinion and I think short term they stand to grow faster than Tesla to "catch up" if earnings keep beating.

Citron Research tweeted its apparent shorting recommendation at 10:56 am EDT: Citron Research (CitronResearch) on Twitter

What is incredible is that the tweet points to today's Time magazine puff piece for the BMW i3 that appears more like a press release from BMW: Nailed It? Why BMWs New i3 May Be the Most Popular Electric Car Yet | TIME.com

The combined effect may have triggered a cascade through the stop limits set by those who bought this week.

I don't see the ugly short ranged BMW i3 as serious competition to the Tesla Model S or later models. If anything, it demonstrates that another established automaker fears that Tesla Motors will be genuinely disruptive to their industry.

The short interest tomorrow will be published on August 9th. It should be interesting. If Citron has induced a large increase in the short interest, reaction to a positive earnings report could result in another short squeeze.

Agree, there is no way the I3 can compete with Model S and Future models. also keep in mind that BMW dealer love their high profit service charges. They had the audacity to quote $400 to replace one tire on my 2007 335xi. I ordered the same exact tire from tire rack for $220 and had it mounted and balanced for $35. During another visit to the bmw dealer I witnessed a service advisor recommend a battery and windshield wipers to an older lady for $680 ouch.
I replace my battery my self for $110.

The short interest tomorrow will be published on August 9th. It should be interesting. If Citron has induced a large increase in the short interest, reaction to a positive earnings report could result in another short squeeze.

good info Curt and always love your insights but one minor correction on the above point, keep in mind that everyone who shorts today will not be accounted for in the Aug 9th NASDAQ short interest publication. Per their site below:
NASDAQ Short Interest Publication Schedule

the settled short positions as of July 31st will be published on Aug 9th. If I short TSLA today then that short position isn't 'settled' until Friday Aug 2nd because there is 3 business day settlement process for 99% of US stock trades.

Agree. I just happened to be watching when it hit, and piled in some more.

Citron Research tweeted its apparent shorting recommendation at 10:56 am EDT: Citron Research (CitronResearch) on Twitter

What is incredible is that the tweet points to today's Time magazine puff piece for the BMW i3 that appears more like a press release from BMW: Nailed It? Why BMWs New i3 May Be the Most Popular Electric Car Yet | TIME.com

The combined effect may have triggered a cascade through the stop limits set by those who bought this week.

I don't see the ugly short ranged BMW i3 as serious competition to the Tesla Model S or later models. If anything, it demonstrates that another established automaker fears that Tesla Motors will be genuinely disruptive to their industry.

This does not make sense to me so I appreciate anyone can shed some light on this.

When do you think is the time when Citron pull off the short trigger? Right at the time they tweet, or before? I believe they short it before today. If so from the price they were wrong until they tweeted it. If they were wrong then why people follow them to start this cascade of down falling? It seems if you get big enough, you could impact the market no matter whether you are right or wrong, at least temporarily, as the case for GS 2 weeks and here happening right now. But it won't sustain. Even when they short, what is the time horizon and instrument? Shorting against the Q2 seems very risky.

I can see a lot of retail investors and day traders get sucked into this maelstrom. I would short by selling a weekly call when it traded @ 135. However I already have a short weekly call @130, not perfect timing, but enough to protect my account.

In any case, this is a much needed break I've been hoping for!

Last edited:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/teslive/images/TESLIVE2013-badge-small.png

TESLIVE2013-badge-small[1].png

What is the badge for? It shows up under my name?

The majors are deliberately making ugly golf carts to keep interest in EVs low so they can continue to sell their ICEs and sleep with Big Oil. At $40K would most people buy a BMW 3 or a golf cart? I'd buy a BMW 3. At $40 K would most people buy a BMW 3 or a Gen 3? I'd buy a Gen 3. End of speculation ;-)

This does not make sense to me so I appreciate anyone can shed some light on this.

When do you think is the time when Citron pull off the short trigger? Right at the time they tweet, or before? I believe they short it before today. If so from the price they were wrong until they tweeted it. If they were wrong then why people follow them to start this cascade of down falling? It seems if you get big enough, you could impact the market no matter whether you are right or wrong, at least temporarily, as the case for GS 2 weeks and here happening right now. But it won't sustain. Even when they short, what is the time horizon and instrument? Shorting against the Q2 seems very risky.

I can see a lot of retail investors and day traders get sucked into this maelstrom. I would short by selling a weekly call when it traded @ 135. However I already have a short weekly call @130, not perfect timing, but enough to protect my account.

In any case, this is a much needed break I've been hoping for!

That is exactly it, these institutions are temporary manipulating the stock. But it is not a bad thing, it is actually a good thing for Tesla. When Tesla goes down, it creates more room for Tesla to again to go up. And every time this happens it creates more and more publicity for Tesla. These short term bumps will correct themselves, but the publicity that Tesla gains will help polish the brand. The more exposure Tesla gets, the more attention they get and that translates to sales.

When do you think is the time when Citron pull off the short trigger? Right at the time they tweet, or before? I believe they short it before today. If so from the price they were wrong until they tweeted it. If they were wrong then why people follow them to start this cascade of down falling? ...

The cascading is not necessarily due to anyone who is aware of Citron's announcement. Cascading usually occurs when shareholders have set up automatic stop loss limits. They each have separate limits, but they all fall like stacked dominoes one after another after a trigger has knocked over the first few.

The cascading is not necessarily due to anyone who is aware of Citron's announcement. Cascading usually occurs when shareholders have set up automatic stop loss limits. They each have separate limits, but they all fall like stacked dominoes one after another after a trigger has knocked over the first few.

Which however would mean that at the current level, maybe half of them should be able to buy back at a lower price (the first half).

Which however would mean that at the current level, maybe half of them should be able to buy back at a lower price (the first half).

Indeed, but they may have to act quickly. The price is back to the midday level of both yesterday and today. Meanwhile, for those of us who have been shareholders for some time, this is shrugged off as just another blip. It's those that have bought recently who may have little patience and set tight stops. Many of those are day traders.

Status
Not open for further replies.