Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sadistic streak in me is wondering what the growling in the bears' lairs is today? HOW are the short holders - those who haven't capitulated - trying to retain their justifications? I wonder if they can come up with anything other than "Well, it's overbought".

And won't alot of the shorters be forced to close tmrw? Isnt that the reason we saw that climbing after Q1?

Its intresting how Elons and Steves relationship have probably been one of the biggest reasons to why any of Elons companies became successful. It would be fun to know how much he has made on his faith in Elon in the last decade or so! Extremely important man to the success of tesla and where we are today.

Love one of the comments ""He's telling suppliers, municipalities and even competitors what to do" At 1000 units/mo? LOL. Contempt for the competition? Never underestimate your opponent, that's just dumb."

Dumb?

No, that's "our" Elon Musk.

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone watch the Google hangout with Branson? is it worth spending an hour watching it?
Guess I'll let you know in an hour. I just stumbled on it!

I love all the anti-Tesla sentiment that comes out around ER time. 99% of it is so obviously incorrect that it's borderline insulting to those of us who own the product.

Just remember to always correct someone when/if you hear them spreading misinformation about Tesla, EV's, or renewable energy or transportation. Most people just regurgitate facts and information without taking the time to dig deeper.

I don't mean to derail the TSLA talk, but the misinformation is part of the game people play when discussing the stock.

I just got my new Model S yesterday and had someone comment (in a negative way) on facebook. I thought I was polite in my response until one of my friends messaged me later asking if the poster of said comment had returned from receiving first aid to his burn.

Yes, good one. Made me think that actually if you are one of the majors, you don't go head to head with the Model S. Instead, you either gun straight for the GenIII segment (trying to launch concurrently or slightly ahead of it), or you make something else (why not a pickup, which was one of the examples mentioned).

This is exactly my thought. Established players will shoot for the volume car first. And they have the deep pockets to undercut Tesla on price for a while. Will likely go to Panasonic for help in development of the battery pack as they already have experience now. But that will still take time considering proprietary limitations and battery management design specifics which Panasonic may not have full access to. The vehicle dash interface development will also take time, but they may already be in the midst of that as we speak. I give it 4 years before a major can come up with something close out of desperation. It won't get a a score of 99/100 I can tell you off the bat. Or they may sign more partnerships with Tesla to provide powertrains to get some EV versions of existing car (non-optimized platforms however) on the road a bit earlier. They are probably making those decisions as we speak..-Which route to take- Tesla Partnership or outright design from "scratch".

This is exactly my thought. Established players will shoot for the volume car first. And they have the deep pockets to undercut Tesla on price for a while. Will likely go to Panasonic for help in development of the battery pack as they already have experience now. But that will still take time considering proprietary limitations and battery management design specifics which Panasonic may not have full access to. The vehicle dash interface development will also take time, but they may already be in the midst of that as we speak. I give it 4 years before a major can come up with something close out of desperation. It won't get a a score of 99/100 I can tell you off the bat. Or they may sign more partnerships with Tesla to provide powertrains to get some EV versions of existing car (non-optimized platforms however) on the road a bit earlier. They are probably making those decisions as we speak..-Which route to take- Tesla Partnership or outright design from "scratch".

No-one is anywhere near close to Tesla. If they simply try to become competitive by starting off where Tesla started, they'll never catch up. Sure, the electric motor and inverter stuff in the Model S is neat, but it's the battery that is the key advantage. The car manufacturers who have looked into this have seen how hard it's going to be to get to where Tesla is now. The public is going to start learning about it over the next few years, and just as a "hemi" is understood by most people to be a thing that improves engine power, the vagiaries of electric car motors and batteries will become learned, known and appreciated by more and more non-expert people. There are certain other events that could cause trouble for Tesla in the long run, and they're all about the battery.

1) no-one else is making electric cars, but Tesla can't get enough batteries from Panasonic+Samsung to supply all the cars they want to make.
2) Everybody is making electric cars... and Tesla can't get enough, they're just lost in the shuffle of big companies
3) General Motors buys Panasonic, purely for their battery-making capabilities. They initially supply Tesla but that cuts off over time.
4) some sort of trade war erupts which, for whatever random reason, stops Tesla from getting enough batteries from outside the USA.
5) Tesla tries to open its own battery factory - right here in the USA!!! But can't get the raw materials to make it useful in the fight against the other manufacturers.
6) prices of the raw commodity materials for batteries start to get manipulated due to increased demand for batteries - more than it ever was in the laptop era - and Tesla has nothing special to compete against the other car manufacturers.

This assumed none of the materials in the battery pack are "rare earth" - but if any of them are (and this continues to be important if the battery chemical tech changes) - then Tesla is in a world of hurt and subject to the whims of governments, who even now work to guard their rare earth commodities. (Perhaps this wouldn't be a factor for Chinese buyers of Tesla cars, since they're located where there are a lot of rare earth elements) Consider a trade war that would threaten the production of car batteries. Oil producers would love that.

I agree this wasn't about short term TSLA movements, sorry :)

no way - the more misrepresentation the better for us when the ER comes out - otherwise how would you buy the dips like yesterday and the GS call? ;D

I love all the anti-Tesla sentiment that comes out around ER time. 99% of it is so obviously incorrect that it's borderline insulting to those of us who own the product.

Just remember to always correct someone when/if you hear them spreading misinformation about Tesla, EV's, or renewable energy or transportation. Most people just regurgitate facts and information without taking the time to dig deeper.

I don't mean to derail the TSLA talk, but the misinformation is part of the game people play when discussing the stock.

I just got my new Model S yesterday and had someone comment (in a negative way) on facebook. I thought I was polite in my response until one of my friends messaged me later asking if the poster of said comment had returned from receiving first aid to his burn.

I dunno.. I'm just not feelin it today. If the shorts aren't forced to cover I wouldn't be shocked to see a down day tomorrow. Not that I'm going to do anything about it. I'm just in wait and see mode because I just might be in a bad mood thanks to having a pretty terrible lunch, but I am definitely feelin less than bullish right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.