Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
down a few bucks after hours, guess people didn't like some of Elon's comments.

Here's a link to the relevant interview with Elon on Fox Business News this afternoon: http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2667902641001

And below is the portion of the transcript upon which some people are putting a negative spin:

"Yeah, I think we've got a really good story in the long-term for Tesla. Our valuation right now is assuming a lot of good execution on our part in the future. We’re going to do our best to work hard and make sure that investors are not disappointed. I think we’ve got some very exciting products coming out. In the past I said it’s really crazy to short Tesla. Is it so crazy to short Tesla right now? I mean it's not as crazy but I still think it’s probably not a good idea."

Here's a link to the relevant interview with Elon on Fox Business News this afternoon: http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2667902641001

And below is the portion of the transcript upon which some people are putting a negative spin:

"Yeah, I think we've got a really good story in the long-term for Tesla. Our valuation right now is assuming a lot of good execution on our part in the future. We’re going to do our best to work hard and make sure that investors are not disappointed. I think we’ve got some very exciting products coming out. In the past I said it’s really crazy to short Tesla. Is it so crazy to short Tesla right now? I mean it's not as crazy but I still think it’s probably not a good idea."

When he says they'll make sure investors are not disappointed, I suppose he means investors who are long TSLA. Not short. :D

We'll see what "probably not a good idea" means...

I remember the last time he said not to short Tesla. It was right before/during a secondary offering where the stock went through some rough times. What he says literally doesn't matter to Wall Street one way or the other. Honestly, I can't imagine Tesla going much higher unless people do short it. With my tin foil hat on, I think Elon knows that the best thing is for history to repeat itself. Let a massive amounts of shorts come in before Q3, show a GAAP profit, tons of demand, and increased guidance (which judging by vin numbers looks like it's going to happen), and watch the stock double again.

In fact, I wish Elon would have simply said "I would short Tesla right now, the valuation is crazy". He is being too nice. I want to shorts to make Tesla another billion dollars.

I think this pretty much sums it up. This is the calm before the storm for shorts, or at least the ones who didn't learn their lesson the first time.

Looked to me as if the supercharger didn't start charging in the video, so he hung it back up :redface:

I think the charge port door was already open and the port had locked again due to inactivity. Seems like he tried to insert the charging connector but was locked out, and then he remembered to push the button, but nothing happened, so he covered by hanging it back up. Oops. A demo failure, but not a Supercharger failure. Or perhaps the connector wasn't energized, it's hard to tell.

I read a comment somewhere saying the comments was from last year. Can anyone verify this?

I didn't realize that TSLA sold off as I've been away from my computer in the after hours but did recently notice the after hours price was way lower than it should be. I checked the news on my iPhone and saw the story of Elon's comments about shorts to find out about this.

Drop tomorrow AM

I think tomorrow morning the price will drop a bit and here is why.
The stock is not trading on momentum anymore , that's what brought us up here. As others have pointed out it is trading on news. EM words are going to be seen on the street as news to sell. I am a long and I believe we have enough support to lift the stock right back up
I personally wold have said just the opposite of what EM said... Something along the lines of "maybe it wasn't so crazy to short a new company that still hadn't shown any profits, but to short a company like Tesla now , as we are profitable and projected to sell 21k units here and now selling in Europe and Asia, well that would be really nuts.
But hey I am not the CEO of the company. EM and his honest humble personality speak differently. I think the street is waiting for news to move the stock, and today's interview will hurt a bit.

I think tomorrow morning the price will drop a bit and here is why.
The stock is not trading on momentum anymore , that's what brought us up here. As others have pointed out it is trading on news. EM words are going to be seen on the street as news to sell. I am a long and I believe we have enough support to lift the stock right back up
I personally wold have said just the opposite of what EM said... Something along the lines of "maybe it wasn't so crazy to short a new company that still hadn't shown any profits, but to short a company like Tesla now , as we are profitable and projected to sell 21k units here and now selling in Europe and Asia, well that would be really nuts.
But hey I am not the CEO of the company. EM and his honest humble personality speak differently. I think the street is waiting for news to move the stock, and today's interview will hurt a bit.

I thought this too and considered a gamble on some weekly 165 strike calls at open tomorrow that expire tomorrow. Very risky but nice pay out if support can get us back to itm.

TSLA is far and away valued at perfection right now but it's still not worth the risk to short or buy puts. There's too much goodwill right now and it just keeps winning that if you're in the business of shorting there's far better opportunities out there.

It's in a range right now and going to go higher on the next earnings I imagine - even if that means it gets further over valued.

I watched the video. I don't hear anything jumps out that would hurt the stock.

Why so many people ( I mean mostly the shorts) like to take things out of the context and draw on every straw to build their bear case. Oh even Elon says the market is too generous, Oh Elon says it is not crazy to short...

We all know what will happen next...

Always drama with Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.