Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the Kia is coming out with a BEV. Don't know if that is big enough news for it to affect the stock.

If it's big enough news, which way do you reckon the reaction would be?

New entrants means heightened competition, but it also means validation of the market.

Short piece about the KIA Soul EV on Insideevs can be found here: http://insideevs.com/kia-confirms-soul-ev-to-launch-in-us-in-2014/

Small quote from the article: "We’ll present our educated guess by saying that this Soul EV will retail for ~$30,000 and offer a range comparable to the Nissan LEAF"

If this is correct (which seems entirely plausible to me), then KIA will have an EV comparable to first gen. Leaf about the time Nissan is finalizing 2nd Gen. Personally I can't see the KIA entrant affecting TSLA at all.

Small quote from the article: "We’ll present our educated guess by saying that this Soul EV will retail for ~$30,000 and offer a range comparable to the Nissan LEAF"

If this is correct (which seems entirely plausible to me), then KIA will have an EV comparable to first gen. Leaf about the time Nissan is finalizing 2nd Gen. Personally I can't see the KIA entrant affecting TSLA at all.

My guess either compliance car or again, Leaf sort of range. Even if it turns out to have a 200 mile battery, where is their Supercharger network, huh?

that news hit the wire an hour before market close, 3pm Eastern (at least how it was posted on Yahoo) There was a dip slightly after that time from 193 to 192.30. Being that its the Soul its obvious that it wont compete with the MS or X or really even the GenIII. So I wouldnt worry about it having any effect on Tesla, because it probably already would of. The i3 or i8 stuff didnt hit the stock, i dont see why this crap box would. I am willing to bet it might be some competition for the Leaf. Small but has room and under 100 mile range = direct competition to the Leaf.

Last edited:
that news hit the wire an hour before market close, 3pm Eastern (at least how it was posted on Yahoo) There was a dip slightly after that time from 193 to 192.30. Being that its the Soul its obvious that it wont compete with the MS or X or really even the GenIII. So I wouldnt worry about it having any effect on Tesla, because it probably already would of. The i3 or i8 stuff didnt hit the stock, i dont see why this crap box would. I am willing to bet it might be some competition for the Leaf. Small but has room and under 100 mile range = direct competition to the Leaf.

If I remember correctly, TSLA gained 10% when i3 hit the news. That KIA also cant make good enough cars as TSLA is a good thing for the stock.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw something about Toyota making a statement yesterday that there was no market for EVs. I only saw the link in my stock news feed, and didn't read the article.

I wonder what the impact was, if any.

I think its really weird, as they seem totally clueless when they say it. But I think Toyota would be a real competitor if they wanted, so I guess that is also good for the stock. This also mean we can sell them Tesla techology when they figure things out.

I saw something about Toyota making a statement yesterday that there was no market for EVs. I only saw the link in my stock news feed, and didn't read the article.

I wonder what the impact was, if any.

They sell the most hybrids of anyone, so they can't really come right out and say that EVs are the future. It'll just help kill their golden goose that much quicker. I'd bet my lunch money that Toyota is probably still very interested in making an affordable EV, but are not going to help validate Tesla any by saying so... ;)

They sell the most hybrids of anyone, so they can't really come right out and say that EVs are the future. It'll just help kill their golden goose that much quicker. I'd bet my lunch money that Toyota is probably still very interested in making an affordable EV, but are not going to help validate Tesla any by saying so... ;)

As long as they are Teslas partner and own 3%, I think they are happy.

Can you post a few pictures of this?

uploadfromtaptalk1380683796964.jpg

This is a tri-level autorack used for shipping 12-15 finished automobiles. These railcars would be spotted (parked) in loading loading facility. Normally, 5 railcars strings for loading and unloading. The doors are opened and bridge plates are placed between railcars for the vehicles drive across. Once all the railcars are filled with vehicles, the vins are parked and left in neutral (prevent damage to transmissions). Then chained or strapped to the railcars to prevent movement, and the doors are closed.

View attachment 31922

This is a tri-level autorack used for shipping 12-15 finished automobiles. These railcars would be spotted (parked) in loading loading facility. Normally, 5 railcars strings for loading and unloading. The doors are opened and bridge plates are placed between railcars for the vehicles drive across. Once all the railcars are filled with vehicles, the vins are parked and left in neutral (prevent damage to transmissions). Then chained or strapped to the railcars to prevent movement, and the doors are closed.

Once again: "All 42 cars that went off the tracks were flat cars loaded with ocean-going containers. Those containers had everything from electronics to batteries to apparel and other consumer goods loaded in them, Davis said"

http://www.theindependent.com/news/...cle_7699a94c-240f-11e3-af42-0019bb2963f4.html These are different, as they are going on ships to Europe.

Once again: "All 42 cars that went off the tracks were flat cars loaded with ocean-going containers. Those containers had everything from electronics to batteries to apparel and other consumer goods loaded in them, Davis said"

http://www.theindependent.com/news/...cle_7699a94c-240f-11e3-af42-0019bb2963f4.html These are different, as they are going on ships to Europe.

Even if there were several containers loaded with Tesla's I don't see this affecting the stock as these were going to be Q4 cars anyways and won't change delivery numbers. It is unfortunate for anyone who has to wait longer for their car now though.

Even if there were several containers loaded with Tesla's I don't see this affecting the stock as these were going to be Q4 cars anyways and won't change delivery numbers. It is unfortunate for anyone who has to wait longer for their car now though.

+1000 and Tesla is covered by insurance. Let's move it on to the next topic (beat this one to death... no offense :) )

I am still waiting for a Tweet or positive news about a partnership(s) or Europe/China demand numbers from Q3... :)

Kia has no need for a compliance car. And I doubt they would develop one just to devalue the cost of ZEV credits even more.

Do we know if small cell or large cell format? Maybe Samsung has another small cell customer! Perhaps they wanted to sign up Kia before announcing the size of any battery factory expansion investment for Tesla relationship?

- - - Updated - - -

+1000 and Tesla is covered by insurance. Let's move it on to the next topic (beat this one to death... no offense :) )

I am still waiting for a Tweet or positive news about a partnership(s) or Europe/China demand numbers from Q3... :)

Don't hold your breath! We might get a Norway tweet, but doubtful anything on EU (demand likely slow) or Asia (demand likely slower). Just don't have the retail and media footprint that they built for years here...

Status
Not open for further replies.