Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the quote say the battery caught fire? It seems to me that it doesn't?

The fact that it doesn't is the key clue that it did. Tesla would have specifically denied a battery fire otherwise. Instead the emphasized that it was a weird accident, and the safety systems all worked, with nobody hurt as a result.

The bottom of the pack was probably ripped open by debris, and that caused a short and a catastrophic cascade in the cells. The pack then vented to the front, and from their statement the car probably threw up all kinds of audio and visual warnings to the passengers to exit the vehicle.

So, if you crash in to something at high speed there can be a fire in the battery pack, which is contained to the pack. Big deal. Way better than a fire in a fuel tank IMO.

Been out of the options for very long now, waiting to get back in. Today was it. Got Dec @200 calls with TSLA below$180. Yay.

Well the channel held today. We bounced off the 20d MA and predicted bottom quite nicely. If TSLA holds the ~180-182 range the last 8 minutes, then it's hopeful we'll transition with the bottom or start the move back up. Right now the top is around ~198-200 :)

Coincidentally (?), Tesla's statement on the fire rumor came out as the stock hit the bottom channel.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the channel held today. We bounced off the 20d MA and predicted bottom quite nicely. If TSLA holds the ~180-182 range the last 8 minutes, then it's hopeful we'll transition with the bottom or start the move back up. Right now the top is around ~198-200 :)

Coincidentally (?), Tesla's statement on the fire rumor came out as the stock hit the bottom channel.

So, if you crash in to something at high speed there can be a fire in the battery pack, which is contained to the pack. Big deal. Way better than a fire in a fuel tank IMO.

Been out of the options for very long now, waiting to get back in. Today was it. Got Dec @200 calls with TSLA below$180. Yay.

Good to see you back Johan :)

And yes its really weird that the stock went down fast when the article came out. And when jalapnok posted a statement from Tesla which suddenly pulled it up 5$ in notime.
Hopefully the new short who got in because of this will need to cover tomorrow :D

Anyone else notice something funny going on with Google Finance? I'm seeing real-time updates to both the regular and AH quote and they aren't the same number???

Gquote.JPG

Edit: NM, the math is adding up, it's just weird to see both numbers changing relative to each other...

We are due for a pullback. Dip-bears rejoice! I think this week the shutdown worries will intiate the rollover. yes, I am trading on this theory, reducing shares and long term calls. Not quite ready to go to zero or god forbid puts. (TSLA puts keep me awake at night, but calls do not).

View attachment 31801

As predicted, we hit the 20 day moving average and met support. We did it in record time.... While this might have been sort of news driven, technically the market was looking for an excuse to come down. Also there was a precedent for this too, since one of the regular drops was the infamous GS upgrade. So all dip bears who complain about how they were looking for an entry point should be in now or tomorrow, and just hold through Q3 announcement.

oct2_pic_2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

So if I understand your adx chart right it's still saying its a bull in the graphic above?

Yes.

Quite the day, and based on extended hours trading it may not be over. I was lucky today with my trades but I am interested in what some of the senior members of this forum think....I will miss someone (so no offense)....Sleepy, Dave T, Curt, CO...What do you all think will happen 'short term'? Thanks

From the looks of the smoke, I suspect the tires are contributing some to the flames.

Perhaps electrical malfunctions from the collision caused sparks and potentially ignited flammable material in the frunk area????

In any case, the fire (although large) was isolated to the front/frunk with the cabin and occupants completely safe. IF it has nothing to do with the batteries, then this isn't really a big deal. Some idiot crashes car and catches fire and walks away unscathed. Time to move on.

So this is probably not getting noticed compared to a fiery car, but it is arguably more pertinent news assuming that the fire is a fairly random/rare incident. DMV reverses position, now says electric car maker Tesla can apply for Virginia dealership - The Washington Post

Didn't see that in the news feed on Yahoo or Google finance but saw plenty about the accident and fire. I thought the media was supposed to report on ALL news that happens, not just selective news that gets more focus than needed. Over-sensationalized journalism?

Anyway Tesla Norway claims that the guys car was onboard. They have to build a new car. I do not think this is a stunt that Tesla is doing to delaying deliveres in Norway so they don't have cars in transit during Q3 :p
I feel its highly unlikely for the Tesla guys in Norway to call them and even show a link on youtube with an accident on the other side of the world, if it didnt happen.

I have now seen more norwegians on another forum saying this happened to their cars aswell.

I have now seen more norwegians on another forum saying this happened to their cars aswell.

As long as they are understanding that its not Tesla's fault then it's just good for Tesla. Cash some insurance checks and then make more. 2 cars for one order, not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

So, anybody with a prediction of what's going to happen tomorrow all the way up until the end of the week? I'm thinking it'll hover around $175-185 before we get another "upgrade" from GS that would probably drop the stock down to $160 ish sometime in this month.

I highly disagree with your sentiment. We just bounced off the 20 day MA. A heavy bad news event could break the 20day and the stock could tumble and not stop. $175 was the entry point and you should of got in. I for one will not be hoping for a lower entry then that. Breaking the 20day could be HUGE and the end of this seeminglous endless rally

Last edited:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tesla-stock-tumbles-model-catches-fire-20450475

The incident happened Tuesday after 8 a.m. as the driver was traveling southbound on state Route 167 through Kent, said Trooper Chris Webb of the Washington State Patrol. The driver stated that he believed he had struck some debris on the freeway, triggering the fire, Webb said, but a trooper who responded to the scene was unable to locate any objects on the roadway.

So was it a collision with a "large metallic object" as Tesla PR stated?

Most media outlets (Bloomberg, WSJ, etc) only began reporting on the Tesla fire incident after the market close. I'm worried Tesla share will continue its downward march during tomorrow's trading session. I think we may retest today's low (20MA) again. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow's pre-market action to determine whether to get out early and buy back when we re-kiss 20MA.

Status
Not open for further replies.