Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The maintenance margin for TSLA has just been hiked at some brokers...

Effective immediately, IB will be increasing the maintenance margin requirement on the securities listed below to the greater of 30% or 20% above the current risk-based requirement (in the case of positions held in a Portfolio Margin account).
This may result in some margin calls. See: Twitter / ryanmorse33: IB raises margin requirements ...
I just got a notification from IB that I only have a 5% cushion for the puts I have been writing because the cash buffer I had in reserve I basically spent buying calls during the last dip a few days ago, and buying puts today for hedging.

Okay, so I'm concerned about my margin requirements.
I closed out my Jan puts for $120 and $75 because they are almost worthless at this points.
But I still have 2 March 170s and 2 Jan'15 130s. Can someone help me figure out how to calculate my margin requirements for having written these 4 puts. IB currently shows I'm $2,500 above my margin requirement, but I'm not sure if that value takes into account their recent increase. I would hate to have my short term calls closed out because I think we may see a recovery soon enough.

ehm? WHY?

Oh boy - I think I just opened a can of worms :(

What I meant by it is that if two weeks of salary (potentially) is putting a big enough dent in your personal economic situation, then a high market luxury sedan was probably not the greatest economic decision. I tend to believe that a luxury car purchase should be a relatively "easy" purchase to make, especially since it's targeted for more "affluent" buyers. However, in no means did I say that government workers shouldn't have bought the Model S.

Also did not mean to offend anyone.

Hersey101 - Call your broker. Usually, margin requirements are not updated during the day so you would end up selling more than required to be within your margin. In addition, you should have a day or two to settle those requirements, but a phone call should put your mind at ease.

What I meant by it is that if two weeks of salary (potentially) is putting a big enough dent in your personal economic situation, then a high market luxury sedan was probably not the greatest economic decision.
You could say that about almost anyone at any income level buying any car typically appropriate for their income. For most folks at any income level, a 2 week hit is huge. That's basically 6 months savings if they person is saving 8% of their pay.

Even in the Model S market, you'll have a big number of white collar working class to whom 2 weeks pay is quite meaningful.

Okay, so I'm concerned about my margin requirements.
I closed out my Jan puts for $120 and $75 because they are almost worthless at this points.
But I still have 2 March 170s and 2 Jan'15 130s. Can someone help me figure out how to calculate my margin requirements for having written these 4 puts. IB currently shows I'm $2,500 above my margin requirement, but I'm not sure if that value takes into account their recent increase. I would hate to have my short term calls closed out because I think we may see a recovery soon enough.
Right click on the position, then contract info, then show margin impact. You will then see how much your margin req. would in- or decrease by closing the pos.
Also for positions you want to have liquidated last rightclich on the position, then "set liquidate last"
I think the amout of margin they show takes into account their recent increase, since that was "immediately".
Good luck!

You could say that about almost anyone at any income level buying any car typically appropriate for their income. For most folks at any income level, a 2 week hit is huge. That's basically 6 months savings if they person is saving 8% of their pay.

Even in the Model S market, you'll have a big number of white collar working class to whom 2 weeks pay is quite meaningful.

Maybe I'm skewed from my personal saving habits. I'm in the 20% camp as far as savings go, and I realize that's in no way the national average of the country. Not to say that the Model S is an average person's car, but it definitely gets closer to being labeled as such much easier than any other car in its market segment (i.e. BMW 5s, A6s, etc) and up.

Unless the U.S. defaults, this will be just noise for Tesla. The Model S is severely demand constrained for the next year or so. Let's say 100 orders will be cancelled in the U.S. (an extremely high number), Tesla will simply sell a few more cars in Europe and nothing will come out of it.

Oh boy - I think I just opened a can of worms :(

What I meant by it is that if two weeks of salary (potentially) is putting a big enough dent in your personal economic situation, then a high market luxury sedan was probably not the greatest economic decision. I tend to believe that a luxury car purchase should be a relatively "easy" purchase to make, especially since it's targeted for more "affluent" buyers. However, in no means did I say that government workers shouldn't have bought the Model S.

Also did not mean to offend anyone.

Who says it ends in two weeks? Also people are have big losses on the stock market. My goal was to order a model S if I could triple my option portofolio within the next half year. Its down 50% since yesterday, so looks like that aint gonna happen.

If you lose your paycheck then the first thing you so is to cancel your luxury car if you run out of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.