Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Automated trades (algos) reacting to the idiotic analyst "downgrade" and subsequent CNBC discussion of this downgrade. View this as a pre-earnings gift, as Sleepy said. It's easy money.

That's what I was thinking. It's madness.

If I had the means, I would set up an "anti-algo" that reacts to these very scenarios.

Or maybe I should just quit my job and watch this thing full time:biggrin:

Ok, I need a little help buying the right option here while its in the red for the day.

What would you guys go for? Right now I have a Nov 16 $190.

Not going for big bucks, just trying to educate myself.

My belief, which I think is in line with most other here, is that Q3 earnings will be significantly above estimates. I want to capitalize off that.

Ok, I need a little help buying the right option here while its in the red for the day.

What would you guys go for? Right now I have a Nov 16 $190.

Not going for big bucks, just trying to educate myself.

My belief, which I think is in line with most other here, is that Q3 earnings will be significantly above estimates. I want to capitalize off that.

I like the nov 16 200 calls .... but I would recommend some leaps ... those are sure to be good :)

A very reasonable thing to do at $150-170. Especially when looking at the stock market as a whole since March 2009, monetary stimulus, cheap money from the FED drying up one day (2014-2015?) and the state of the world economy.

Lots of AAPL since early July when it was around 385 (LEAP's mainly) and have been accumulating more, especially when it dipped recently to 460's. Some GOOG as well last week, playing ER with them. Waiting for some timing - wanted back into some TSLA last week, but got greedy looking for a bigger dip - should have taken the 165 range. Between AAPL and TSLA, AAPL has been a better investment the last couple months for me so I haven't regretting anything yet.

If things time out right and TSLA keeps staying strong, I hope to dump GOOG in a couple weeks after ER tomorrow and possibly pickup more TSLA.

I also bought a bunch of DATA around 50 and then exercised some 55 call options I bought - but stock is bubbly and there's some shorting going on. ER in a couple weeks could create a squeeze but other market dynamics might kill short term growth. But, I'd like to hold longterm regardless. Also wouldn't mind converting into more TSLA.

I will say, a recent small road trip and seeing super charges at a nice rest stop were really inspiring. 2 people were talking to each other about them and figured it took a couple hours to charge. I took delight in informing them how fast it is and the mileage the car would give, that it is free and that by December you can go from LA to NYC - in addition to the safety, etc. The last time I felt like this and I would evangelize like this was the early 2k's with Apple products, when they were trading at $13. $1,000 TSLA in 8 years isn't crazy.

I have the Nov $190 calls, but I got them for $10 a pop :) Now I had hedged them earlier today at $200, but bought those hedges back now that it looks like there is a realistic shot that the deal is made today and that might mean a pop in the general market over the next week or so. If you buy some calls that are not far from money now and hedge them just before earnings you should be able to reduce possible risk without needing TSLA to actually go as high as the current price requires (i.e. $190 is right now $13 so break even is $203). So if TSLA runs to $195 or so pre-earnings the Nov $200-$215 range calls should have a similar price to todays $190 call so that you can create a risk free hedge and take advantage of the Q3 pop. However crap can happen and you could see short term losses on options as always...

[...] now that it looks like there is a realistic shot that the deal is made today and that might mean a pop in the general market over the next week or so.[...]

My understanding of the situation is that they have agreement in the Senate, and Ted Cruz said he won't delay (= no filibuster). So not much missing, as I'd expect the House isn't seeking much more attention on this matter.

I think here we Europeans have a slight advantage :) The US market opens 4:30PM in my timezone and closes at 11PM :) So I can get a full days work done and then over the course of evening keep an eye on the stock market without necessarily interfering with my work.

You know, I've been eyeing the time zone fit for a while now. Europe seems to be a perfect fit. In US west coast, the big moves have already happened before I wake up.

Any recommendation on a country where I can just relax, rent a room and trade with lots of cafes that has internet connection?

You know, I've been eyeing the time zone fit for a while now. Europe seems to be a perfect fit. In US west coast, the big moves have already happened before I wake up.

Any recommendation on a country where I can just relax, rent a room and trade with lots of cafes that has internet connection?

If you want one of the best connected countries in the world you should come to Estonia, the Silicon Valley of Europe :) i.e. where I am :) We consider internet access a human right (really, that's made many times, not sure it's in the constitution though) and it's almost impossible to be without network here.

Status
Not open for further replies.