Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on a non-battery related front, looks like the UK price of the model S came in lower than expectations; gotta love the following quote from the article:

Companies are going to be queuing up to grab the Model S for their executives.

let's hope so ;)

surfside

This is very good news, but I hope people don't somehow look at this and think "Tesla is having trouble with demand so they had to lower the price!"

Elon already said they plan to have the same margins everywhere, and note that the price includes government incentives of course, which means Tesla still gets that revenue.

I just hope Tesla can start making more cars to sell out of!

Last edited by a moderator:
on a non-battery related front, looks like the UK price of the model S came in lower than expectations; gotta love the following quote from the article:

This is very good news, but I hope people don't somehow look at this and think "Tesla is having trouble with demand so they had to lower the price!"

Elon already said they plan to have the same margins everywhere, and note that the price includes government incentives of course, which means Tesla still gets that revenue.

I just hope Tesla can start making more cars to sell out of!

Those people claiming Tesla is having trouble with demand so they lowered prices would only have to do a simple Google search to see that they actually already raised prices for the car in the U.S.

Those people claiming Tesla is having trouble with demand so they lowered prices would only have to do a simple Google search to see that they actually already raised prices for the car in the U.S.

Those people also would only have to read the earnings to see how good they were, or do a google search to see how much of a non-issue the crashes have been compared to ICE cars which burn to the ground constantly, and yet that didn't stop all the tooth gnashing around here (amongst people who are presumably better educated about EVs and Tesla) for the last week about how the sky is falling.

I could easily see a short making the "lower price to fix falling demand" argument. However, I don't think anyone will fall for it, just as I actually don't think many people thought earnings or the crashes were actual bad things for the company. I actually think we're just currently in a self-perpetuating dip which was started by robots and everyone is afraid to be the first person to take a step out of. Which has not been helped by the ridiculous doom and gloom and talk of unnecessary recalls around here.

I'm with Elon, this is a great price and I've upped my leverage.

Here's a link to the Dealbook video with Sorkin: One on One with Elon Musk, Tesla and SpaceXon NY Times - live streaming video powered by Livestream

Overall, excellent interview. A must watch for investors.

It's pretty clear Elon underestimated public concern about the fires, was shocked by the response, and he's clearly frustrated people and media over-reacted the way they did. He dug in his heels, which makes Tesla all the more vulnerable to the next fire, but he also did a good job of stating if they found a truly real problem, no doubt they'd fix it immediately. It really underscores the need for him to get out more publicly, more frequently and more proactively to state his case.

It was very telling when Sorkin asked him how Tesla approaches those first moments after learning of something like a fire, and Elon answered words to the effect of, "we wait to see how people react." Hmmm. Yes, sometimes, though other times you need to lead. That said, he's an awesome spokesperson and Tesla should put him in front of the camera more often. The more he talks the better.

I was doing some analysis and it's looking like the bear pennant that I thought was forming may actually not continue to play out as it isn't behaving "normally". Then again, TSLA is known as a "rule breaker" among the bigger pundits so this is nothing new.

Today's interview with Elon Musk may have just been the catalyst to change the perception that has been weighing down TSLA since last week's Q3 earnings report. With that, I can now see a scenario where TSLA completely reverses its downward trend and start clawing its way through the 140s and possibly higher. I think we can expect to see a lot of resistance at around 147-148 and if it manages to break above that, more resistance at the 100-day moving average which as of today is at 152.67. Expect TSLA to trade between 138-147 for the next couple of days.

"the stock is a good value now, before it was a little high for my taste"

Like the fact that the IB news feed picked up that Elon thinks that the stock is a pretty good deal now, that ought to boost it as he's not claiming they're overvalued finally so any news outlet that goes again with the valuation by Musk it's got to be this one which says that it's a good deal.

I think Elon did GREAT.

Kudos to Andrew for asking the tough questions first.

He had to be sensitive about the 2nd fire (Mexican drunk driver doing 90mph) but ultimately if the car ends up on fire after a massive driver error - and after everyone has gotten out - no-one should be alarmed.

He rightly slammed whoever it is who is relaying George Clooney's 2008 comments. Hopefully we will never hear about again.

He said the stock is now a good value, which will stop those that like to continue to relay his "higher than we have a right to deserve" comments from when it was much higher.

(honestly he continues to say a lot too much about the stock, perhaps from now on he will say stuff like "oh, it's impossible to second guess what's going on in the minds of investors, I'd better let them decide what the stock is worth and leave it at that!")

I too am glad to hear Elon address the stock price and finally say something away from the "higher than we deserve" comment that MartinAustin pointed out. I think it's a bad idea for any CEO to say that about their own company's stock as it appears the CEO has no confidence in their own company's current valuation. I think his new comment of the stock being "a good value" will shake off the negative perception left by his previous comment.

As for George Clooney's 5 year old comment, does anyone know if the reporter has issued a correction or been fired?

Here's a link to the Dealbook video with Sorkin: One on One with Elon Musk, Tesla and SpaceXon NY Times - live streaming video powered by Livestream
It's pretty clear Elon underestimated public concern about the fires, was shocked by the response, and he's clearly frustrated people and media over-reacted the way they did. He dug in his heels, which makes Tesla all the more vulnerable to the next fire, but he also did a good job of stating if they found a truly real problem, no doubt they'd fix it immediately. It really underscores the need for him to get out more publicly, more frequently and more proactively to state his case.
It was very telling when Sorkin asked him how Tesla approaches those first moments after learning of something like a fire, and Elon answered words to the effect of, "we wait to see how people react." Hmmm. Yes, sometimes, though other times you need to lead. That said, he's an awesome spokesperson and Tesla should put him in front of the camera more often. The more he talks the better.
Thanks a lot for sharing. This was appeasing both as an investor and a aspiring future owner of a Model S.

I'm seeing a ton of Model S cars on my morning commute to work in S.Cal. I saw at least 15 today in the Carpool lanes. Elon keeps talking stats (vs gas cars). Made me wonder how many gas cars out of that 200,000 cars that catch fire are of the same model? I was looking for that stat a bit on the net but couldn't find anything relevant. If Elon was indeed shocked on the response to the third fire I would be quite concerned. Does he not understand public sentiment and investor sentiment? Very important stuff for a CEO who's stock has been amazingly volatile over the past 6 weeks primarily because of 2 fires. Who was NOT shocked in this forum and outright worried? The majority of us were, and the majority of us are huge Tesla fans! Also, being an aerospace engineer with years at Boeing I did not find what he had to say about 747 aerodynamics and the 777/787 comparisons impressive.
One thing that could be a good cross-check in case anyone did not buy Elon's comments is to look for information on Insurance premiums for Tesla Model S cars over the next few months as the population of the Model S grows. Insurance companies have all the stats. Anywho, glad Elon came out and made a few positive comments. Waiting for the NHTSA investigation to wrap up.

Last edited:
No, that means they clean up the garbage from the grass/foliage at the side of the road. Nobody sets foot on the actual road.

[/OT]

I knew a Real Estate agent who used this form of advertising. He did not do any actual work but there was a service offered and he paid them to do the cleaning. I can't remember exactly but it might have been prisoners, or John Petersen fans.

- - - Updated - - -
That George Clooney quote was recent but GC was talking about his #0008 Roadster back in 2007. By leaving that out of the article they make it sound recent and not 25,000 cars later. And it's not like GC's Ferrari collection has been problem free....

Well, let's give Clooney some respect for being a Tesla pioneer, betting actual money on the company and thus helping it live and grow and eventually prosper.
I don't think "Tesla pioneer, betting actual money" applies to Mr. Clooney here. For someone with a net worth in the $160-180 million range, the cost of a Roadster is a small number.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking Elon ought to call him up and offer him a P85+ loaner free-of-charge for a month to try out.
Why? I'm not a fan of this "gifts to people that don't need it" mindset. Besides, this kind of goes the "not doing advertising in the U.S." that we keep hearing from Tesla.

Yesterday after Elon's interview the stock rose to $141 region, today in pre-market it was around that level too even flirting at $142 for majority of the early trade, but at 8 when the true pre-market opened we've seen a consistent drop and now we're at $139. No news beyond questions on how many more fires before Tesla considers a recall. So it seems not everyone thinks Elon's stance of all is fine is actually fine. Then again, the shorts never do ...

As I understood last night there were going to be two Elon appearances? One the CNBC one and another one? Or did I misunderstand something as one was supposed to be 4:50PM (and hence couldn't have been the at market close interview).

He went on a Media Tour basically. He did the NY Times Dealbook interview-> CNBC Closing Bell-> Ignition 2013 Key Note (Business Insider's Tech Conference-- cool tidbit is Elon brought a Model S for attendees to test drive around Central Park. I expect a sales bump from this)

He went on a Media Tour basically. He did the NY Times Dealbook interview-> CNBC Closing Bell-> Ignition 2013 Key Note (Business Insider's Tech Conference-- cool tidbit is Elon brought a Model S for attendees to test drive around Central Park. I expect a sales bump from this)

Is the keynote available somewhere, would be good to hear as Elon tends to drop minuscule hints at things to come by accident at absolutely random talks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.