Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I'm curious about the labor supply: are there actually 6500 skilled factory workers available in a distant place in NV? I realize people could and would move in, but it's easier when you have a pool of experienced workers (like they did in Fremont where there were thousands of laid off auto workers still around) to draw from immediately.

Some would argue that talented employees are not significant to factory work. I see Tesla's ability to recruit and hire the most inventive and ingenious people in the world as the bedrock of their success. This is evident by the traffic jam created by Tesla's last job fair.

Also, I'm curious about the labor supply: are there actually 6500 skilled factory workers available in a distant place in NV? I realize people could and would move in, but it's easier when you have a pool of experienced workers (like they did in Fremont where there were thousands of laid off auto workers still around) to draw from immediately.

Unlike auto workers, no place in the USA has a large pool of workers experienced in large scale battery manufacture.

Every company working at the GF will have to train and yes people move for good jobs.

Moving from the Bay Area(local large population center) to Reno for a good paying blue collar job with much lower cost of living will not be a tough sell.

That isn't really a lot though, if they need to get the factory up and running before they invest more, I wonder where the rest of the money will come from, Apple would make good sense. Damn, up 3% now, thats a large reaction to a relatively small investment for Panasonic, they already had signed a letter of intent.

That isn't really a lot though, if they need to get the factory up and running before they invest more, I wonder where the rest of the money will come from, Apple would make good sense. Damn, up 3% now, thats a large reaction to a relatively small investment for Panasonic, they already had signed a letter of intent.

They will keep expanding the number of cell production lines, as is warranted. They don't need to put in $3B all at once...

They will keep expanding the number of cell production lines, as is warranted. They don't need to put in $3B all at once...

I know that they won't be at full capacity from day one, but, without knowing a lot about these investments though, I would think that a large part of the expenses will come upfront when building a large factory like that especially with the large amount of wind and solar they want as power.

Just read the link from the thread "Targeted to go onstream in 2017, the lithium-ion-battery facility will handle everything from processing raw materials to assembly. Panasonic is inviting a number of Japanese materials makers to sign on, with total investment expected to reach more than 100 billion yen ($965 million)." now its starting to come together.

Nice to see the TSLA price movement but isn't that 30 miilion dollars or did I miss a decimal point??

Personal tip: I always approximate Yen as pennies in my mind, super easy to remember the right magnitude.

And in response to the other comment of where the rest of the money will come from, the money will be needed at different phases. I think they have enough for the first phase of grooming the grounds and building the shell of the factory. Equipment, tooling, logistics ramp up will take a few more rounds. And I think a lot of that will come from Model 3 reservation deposits... I think that number will be mindblowing, it's gonna be like kickstarter on a billion dollar scale :)

I must note this article is from February. It is probably still the plan over 3 years but not an official announcement with those numbers.

Here's the one from today... not sure whether they are rehashing or if it's based on some new developments.

Panasonic, Tesla agree to partnership for US car battery plant- Nikkei Asian Review

- - - Updated - - -

Do those of you who can view trading volumes see whether this price spike of the past hour has been on negligible, decent, or high volume????

TSLA was at about 1.5mm shares traded prior to the Panasonic news, currently up to 4mm shares... so higher volume than lately, but not the 20-30mm shares/day activity we have around earnings and big announcements.

And of note, Benzinga just updated stating this: "CORRECTION: There has been No SEC Filing Yet on Panasonic, Tesla Motors Battery Plant Gigafactory Deal; Reuters Report was Erroneous

Read more: http://www.benzinga.com/news/14/07/...asonic-tesla-motors-battery-pla#ixzz38msU4H1D"

Status
Not open for further replies.