Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Elon talking about the entirely new braking system of the car. Did I misunderstand him? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

I also understood that as a whole new braking system. I believe he said "electro-mechanical" breaking which gives more precise control of exactly how much the car slows down.

Also, the reaction to this announcement seems overwhelming positive everywhere I look. It would be surprising to see the stock drop tomorrow after this.

Seems price for the two lower models (smaller motor apparently) is $4000. Price for the performance version still unknown apparently.

EDIT: Actually, it does say $120k complete for the performance version, "(with both the performance and tech packs required)"

What about Elon talking about the entirely new braking system of the car. Did I misunderstand him? I haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

"All digital control system, high-precision low latency"

"One of the big upgrades to the car is an electromechanical braking system. This is one of the most advanced braking systems in the world, it is able to very precisely control the amount of braking and also get to very high levels of braking very quickly."

That's what he said, transcribed as best I could. SO COOL.

Wow, the goodness here is many-fold.

1) Elon just breezed through all the sensors and capabilities. His message was very directly: "We have all the sensors we need to do whatever. software will follow" He sounded like he couldn't deign to list all the things it could do, the lane changing, ACC, tactile feedback, self parking". You could just here him think yada, yada, yada robot car, totally does whatever you can imagine. I mean, the only limitation he alluded to was the laws. There MUST be some other limitation, right? but if it can park in a garage, that is crazy. I have a tight spot with junk in every direction; if it can park itself in there it can do anything.
2) Elon just created the big CPO market (as others have said). He is cruelly :D using us crazy people as a revenue source. For every owner that upgrades, they will send a used Model S down market, into the hands of a grateful buyer, and sell a new Model S at a higher gross margin. He might as well have just announced a money printing machine.
3) Demand will go through the roof. Wait times will get silly. Fine. Silence the demand critics.
4) This will create a whole new SLEW of media attention. The problem with stories about the model S in the past, is that its principle demonstrable feature is that it was super quick off the mark and had a front trunk. After that it was nebulous notions of charging at home that not everyone gets. NOW there will have to be countless print and video stories outlining all these cool new features. What can they do? What does this mean for the timetable of autonomous driving. This is HUGE in the zeitgiest.

Ok, taking breaths now.

"All digital control system, high-precision low latency"

"One of the big upgrades to the car is an electromechanical braking system. This is one of the most advanced braking systems in the world, it is able to very precisely control the amount of braking and also get to very high levels of braking very quickly."

That's what he said, transcribed as best I could. SO COOL.

I'm not a car guy, so others please jump in who know better, but I haven't heard of this type of system on any other premium car out there, so it seems to be another big pushing of the envelope from Tesla. With such precise braking control, it should make the Dual motor cars some of the best handling cars on the planet in slippery and dry conditions. I believe because of the way the electric motor drive shafts are set up, the braking system is used to help with traction control, rather than a limited slip differential. You now have a digital control system for the braking and drive systems on all Tesla cars. As Tesla tweaks the software, it should mean better and better handling over time. No other car maker can match that. I believe Elon mentioned torque vectoring steering in passing and this braking control system should really enhance that capability. Tesla continues to school the other car manufacturers by bringing more and more of the car into a modern digital age. My confidence in the company and the underpricing of the stock at this point has significantly increased with todays announcements.

From someone on twitter (no source):

New Tesla dual motor details:
P85D: 691 HP & 687 lb-ft torque, 0-60 3.2 seconds $120k
85D/60D 376 hp & 362 lb-ft

I am slowly and methodically chewing on my words (predicting around 500Hp and 3.5S)
All of this, PLUS increased range and all of this at only $10,000 premium over P85+!
Non performance dual motor AWD at only $4,000 premium...

I am speechless.

Last edited:
Throw-away comment that everyone laughed at: Articulated self-plugging power plug. Everyone takes it as a good-natured goof, but if you listen he says "We will probably do something like that" while people are laughing. That means he has people working on that...

Throw-away comment that everyone laughed at: Articulated self-plugging power plug. Everyone takes it as a good-natured goof, but if you listen he says "We will probably do something like that" while people are laughing. That means he has people working on that...

his engineers: oh sh*t, not again elon.. we're still getting that roadster battery ready

I am slowly and methodically chewing on my words (predicting around 500Hp and 3.5S)
All of this, PLUS increased range and all of this at a only $10,000 premium over P85+!
Non performance dual motor AWD at only $4,000 premium...

I am speechless.

I believe the positive impact of the factory reconfiguring and retooling that recently happened has been seriously underestimated. I believe that Tesla has gained so much production efficiency and capacity that they feel confident in being able to hit their gross margin targets and offer more and more capability in their cars without having to charge significantly more than today's prices. Tesla must see so much potential demand out there that they also see some large potential for continued efficiency through economies of scale as well. Any short-term declines in the stock price from today's levels seem to be good buying opportunities.

I'm not a car guy, so others please jump in who know better, but I haven't heard of this type of system on any other premium car out there, so it seems to be another big pushing of the envelope from Tesla. With such precise braking control, it should make the Dual motor cars some of the best handling cars on the planet in slippery and dry conditions. I believe because of the way the electric motor drive shafts are set up, the braking system is used to help with traction control, rather than a limited slip differential. You now have a digital control system for the braking and drive systems on all Tesla cars. As Tesla tweaks the software, it should mean better and better handling over time. No other car maker can match that. I believe Elon mentioned torque vectoring steering in passing and this braking control system should really enhance that capability. Tesla continues to school the other car manufacturers by bringing more and more of the car into a modern digital age. My confidence in the company and the underpricing of the stock at this point has significantly increased with todays announcements.

I am a car guy. Used to run time trials in my heavily modified and tweaked Evo 8, which I thought was the pinnacle of ICE technology...but I always hoped for a performance electric car because I knew the basics of efficiency of this powertrain enable SO MANY ancillary engineering feats. Especially coupled with a networked digital computer control system that could know what every part of the car was doing in real-time.

If I was an executive of another auto manufacturer, I would be soiling my pants right now, realizing how far behind my company's R&D is, and would be tripping over myself to begin talks on further cooperation / technology transfer with Tesla, ASAP. Audi's CEO seemed to intimate that he knew their R&D budget was going to have to be massive to catch up in autonomous driving. I don't think he knew how far.

Some of the most brilliant engineering minds on the planet are at work together in the same place right now, and that is Tesla Motors. I cannot imagine how other companies could hope to duplicate a fraction of this technology without cooperating with Tesla or hiring away its talent. And the latter is very, very unlikely.

Last edited:
The teslamotors.com is back.

The non-performance "85D" variant boosts range by 30 miles!

Top speed for both 85D and P85D 155 mph!

Sit back and watch automotive media go nuts...

This bodes very well for Model X specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.