Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need to drive demand further, they can't satisfy the demand they have. The only thing this means to the market is that margins will probably be a be a bit higher. Which is nice, but we just had a big run-up this past week. I think we see a sell off now.

I think it is a really cool product and all, I just think that it isn't enough to keep this rally going. Just my opinion.

I would agree with you if I thought we were in a rally. We are sitting right at the 50 day MA, right between a recent local high and local low. The market may well react negatively (the overall market may be in for a bad day too) but it won't be because we couldn't maintain a hasty run-up.

We don't need to drive demand further, they can't satisfy the demand they have. The only thing this means to the market is that margins will probably be a be a bit higher. Which is nice, but we just had a big run-up this past week. I think we see a sell off now.

I think it is a really cool product and all, I just think that it isn't enough to keep this rally going. Just my opinion.

Elon's purpose is not to drive the stock. If it were, he would not have made his September 4 comment about the share price. He want's to prove that electric cars are the future. He wants Tesla cars to lead the way. If an event like this helps to insure continuous demand, so be it. It will drive the factory to produce more quickly. It will inspire suppliers to step up production. It will draw more partners into the Gigafactory project. The positive side effect is that it boosts the long-term value of the stock. If some investors don't see that tomorrow, then take advantage of them.

It will have random market reaction in very near term. But think what this means longer term... the S60, and S85 dropping a second or so in 0-60, adding ~10 miles of range, starting in February, and most of all that much more impressive performance for Gen III. I'd estimate a ~200 mile base Gen III with dual motor added would be about $40K and would do 0-60 in about 5 flat with instant torque. BMW 328i smoked.

Elon's purpose is not to drive the stock. If it were, he would not have made his September 4 comment about the share price. He want's to prove that electric cars are the future. He wants Tesla cars to lead the way. If an event like this helps to insure continuous demand, so be it. It will drive the factory to produce more quickly. It will inspire suppliers to step up production. It will draw more partners into the Gigafactory project. The positive side effect is that it boosts the long-term value of the stock. If some investors don't see that tomorrow, then take advantage of them.

I'm 100% with you. I'm going to take them for all they are worth. I'm just making my call for tomorrow, not saying that Elon or Tesla should have done anything differently.

I think that there is an element that some people are missing. Musk said that he wants to be highway on ramp to off-ramp in the next 12 months. Just 3 and a half months later he is announcing drivers assist features such as adjusting to the speed limit, adjustable cruise control, lane departure correction, and lane departure at the touch of the turn signal. This is pretty much highway on-ramp to highway off-ramp driving. Musk delivered on his promise in a big way, and launched Tesla ahead of its competitors even more.

Also, lets not forget that 0-60 of 3.2 is the quickest production sedan (even if 3.2 isn't the official time, the car will still be on the level of the quickest production sedans). This is definitely going to increase demand in the short term and long term, which is what Tesla needs to maintain the 13,000 or so quarterly run rate it needs to deliver in Q4. This isn't priced into the stock yet.

Guys, I'm really just talking about tomorrow. "Short Term" thread, remember?

'Git 'em, boys! Grab the torches and pitchforks! :)

I think TSLA will get caught in a bad market day and it won't matter. (will go down due to serious headwinds and we will be debating if it "should have" gone down more without the good news)

But, Elon hasn't even talked yet. There could still be some offhand comment that is more material, or other model news, reveals he is an alien from Mars...

For my fellow speed freaks, once again:

The Ten Fastest Sedans Ever Made

If 3.2 seconds 0-60mph is accurate, Tesla just smoked Audi, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Mercedes...even Bentley. All slower than the P85D. I just love that. It's yet another domino falling on the way to proving that electric powertrains in the hands of world-class software and hardware engineers are unequivocally superior to combustion alternatives.

But, Elon hasn't even talked yet. There could still be some offhand comment that is more material, or other model news, reveals he is an alien from Mars...

I think definitely Elon has saved something good to say for the event itself. Even if they did make a pre press release to US Today I think there is no way they told them everything. Elon knows how to play these sort of events...... I'm not saying it's going to be something spectacular other than what's in the article, just that I'm sure we still have some good statements coming from the live event! Perhaps some elaborations of the self driving technology and what's in store for the future, perhaps even some timelines? I'm guessing the market will like this tomorrow.

If the P85D doesn't start shipping until December, and the S60D/S85D don't come until February I think that says a lot about Tesla's confidence with their current backlog. If there was any chance that they were going to outproduce demand in Q4 (a 55k per year run rate!) I don't think they would have made the announcement this early and risked people pushing back their orders. I see this as a serious display of the current level of demand.

For my fellow speed freaks, once again:

The Ten Fastest Sedans Ever Made

If 3.2 seconds 0-60mph is accurate, Tesla just smoked Audi, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Mercedes...even Bentley. All slower than the P85D. I just love that. It's yet another domino falling on the way to proving that electric powertrains in the hands of world-class software and hardware engineers are unequivocally superior to combustion alternatives.

That list goes by top speed not 0-60 time so unfortunately no, Tesla didn't smoke all of them in top speed.

Edit: If you mean by 0-60 time then yes Tesla smoked them all. :)

Last edited:
I think the market generally does not expect to see Model 3 for some time, but Model X is a different story. Delays and lack of news raise questions, rightly or wrongly, about plan execution.

Remember last year's "trilogy" in five parts designed to create a tsunami of hurt for short sellers? Separated unveiling events should have a similar effect this year. Elon knows what he is doing. It worked before, and it should work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.