Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'm sure: I'm not clicking on an SA article again.
So today is just the full result of the -6% of oil of last thursday/friday I guess. Friday's small dip was just the appetizer. I hope this is the main and the dessert will be a quick rebound!!!

Difference between Friday and today is that today has a normal volume of shares being traded. Friday was low volume.
Hoping for that quick rebound though!

There should be no relation to Tesla sales and oil prices, I wish the panic sellers realize this. Anyone who can afford a $70K+ car is not really worried about gas prices. If anything this should help Tesla. Low oil prices kill hybrid and low cost EV sales, which means less money spent by automakers to improve them, weakening future competition for Tesla. OTH low gas prices help sell full size trucks and full size suvs. GM and Ford get 70 and 90% of their profits from full size trucks. I can understand if their stock price goes up.

MonroeSS. Agree regarding no concern over gas prices by those purchasing a $70K ($100K asp) car. Would your opinion change for those purchasing a $35K car?, because this is where Tesla is headed are where TSLA SP is at now.

SA article has been picked up a couple other places, combined with the ridiculous article about BMW not wanting to buy a stake in Tesla (not sure why anyone ever thought they would?)

I think today's price action is basically based on horrible reporting and outright FUD. That said, I don't see any catalyst to push us back up until the next earnings release, or a significant reveal from Tesla.

MonroeSS. Agree regarding no concern over gas prices by those purchasing a $70K ($100K asp) car. Would your opinion change for those purchasing a $35K car?, because this is where Tesla is headed are where TSLA SP is at now.

I'm not so worried. first they will only be supplying a few hundreds of thousand cars vs. tens of millions in global demand so the more environmentally conscious buyers would probably close demand gap themselves, second electricity pricing will also drop as much of the oil price decline is tied to increase in cheap natural gas which is used for electricity generation, third solar production & efficiency is increasing rapidly which will continue to drive down electricity prices, fourth CAFE and other assorted regulatory requirements will continue to force ICE makers to more efficient, less performance oriented cars - especially given volume requirements of $35k market and fifth the Model 3 will likely blow the doors of other cars in this segment due to inherent superiority of weight placement and torque availability.

probably other things as well.

As I write this TSLA is down 5.5% and Oil is up 3.5%.

It's merely a coincide that the recent drops in the TSLA share price have occurred at the same time as the price of Oil has dropped.

TSLA also rose from 218 to 260 between October 15th and November 18th. Oil dropped from $80 to $75 during this same time frame. Not many people were suggesting there was a correlation then.

TSLA has a greater correlation with AAPL, NFLX, TWTR and FB, even though they're very different companies. All of these companies are heavily down today also by the way.

SA article has been picked up a couple other places, combined with the ridiculous article about BMW not wanting to buy a stake in Tesla (not sure why anyone ever thought they would?)I think today's price action is basically based on horrible reporting and outright FUD. That said, I don't see any catalyst to push us back up until the next earnings release, or a significant reveal from Tesla.
about a year ago I completely stopped clicking on any article from SA. I got tired of all their click bait BS. Doesn't matter if the article is pro or con, I simply don't go to SA ever. It's a matter of principal with me.

Last edited:
I see this as a very well orchestrated short attack. It disturbs me that longs aren't better at counter-punching.

Looks like most of the market is clearly down a lot today. BBY -5.5%, AAPL -3%, GPRO -5%, FB -3.5%, TWTR -6%, SCTY -7%, TSLA -5.5%.

Not sure if the OPEC news is to blame but what else is there?

Does this have anything to do with the end-of-the-month portfolio reporting that fund managers do for their clients, followed by dumping on the 1st of the following month to reallocate money to other stocks?

- - - Updated - - -

about a year ago I completely stopped clicking on any article from SA. I got tired of all their click bait BS. Doesn't matter if the article is pro or con, I simply don't go to SA ever. It's a matter of principal with me.

I used to read SA a lot last year but once I realized it's just a blog site for shills and manipulators, I stopped taking them seriously and only read the comments which are more informative and hilarious (the whole site is a joke). Google Finance needs to stop pulling them into their news feed.

Indeed, if all readers of this forum would avoid reading Tesla articles at Seeking Alpha, the reduction in click payments may discourage the authors of nonsense FUD.

i use to be in ths camp too Curt, but perhaps the best thing to actually do is for all of us to band together as activist investors and go into the SA articles to refute the ridiculous bear attacks. We know they are ridiculous but there are lots of new TSLA investors or prospective TSLA investors that need to hear our voice and the truth instead of being brainwashed by all the FUD out there. If we keep letting the bears get away with all their FUD (especially in the comments sections of these SA articles) then we are really only hurting ourselves as there will be some level of less TSLA investments as a result. The extra pennies in click bait these SA authors will get from 10 or even 100 of us activists going in to refute their FUD regularly is very very tiny compared to the potential negative effect on the share price if we don't refute their FUD actively.

Perhaps we need to be more ACTIVIST investors in this way and even write our own SA articles more often as I think a few of us on here have done (not me).

Let me know what you guys think and maybe we should create a new thread called the "Activist TSLA investor" thread or something. It would be for ideas like what SA articles we all need to go on and blast the author in the comments sectionals well as other activist ideas (organize or sign petitions, write/call our congressmen when new dealer laws are about to be passed against Tesla, etc.).

It did. Technically TSLA is barely closed under 200MA today. Without big catalysts in sight, I would imagine a fairly good chance to see TSLA under 200MA in coming weeks. Sadly to say, with production ramp and model X delay, TSLA is temporarily losing the steam. Hopefully it won't last for too long.

I can't imagine the bulls are going to give up the 200-day without something significant happening. An SA article is not significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.