Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't seem to take much to break through $200? Anyone expect more resistance there?

TA wise we are in uncharted territory. Since there are no precedence, there are no resistance points. The only thing that I'd use at this points are Fibs... I should go draw them.

*Edit:
TSLA.png

It looks like I had a previous fib level drawn where the $204 is a resistance which represent the 423% level from one of the previous significant TA mountains. Mind you, this is the first time I used the 423% level.

Last edited:
What about using channel trends?

Broke through all current channels and you can't draw channels past previous mountains. So the only other resistance is the RSI overbought indicator.

If we close today above $200, it will be significant since it closes above the all time linear regression line. My guess is shorts ran out of bullets to keep it below $200 with the short report showing defectors of the cause.

I am wondering if this break-out has something to do with form SC 13G/A filed today by Capital Research Global Investors, indicating that by the end of last year they amassed almost 3.4 million shares of TSLA (2.8% of all outstanding shares per the filing):

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...x0xS1422848-14-141/1318605/1422848-14-141.pdf

I think so, Unfortunately it doesn't say their Avg. price of position. It would be a great confidence by a major institution player, if their Avg. price is above 180.. It would make it stable around there, if/when downturn comes.

Something else of interest from the News section of this forum:

Tesla may choose Chinese partners by end of year|Economy|News|WantChinaTimes.com

Tesla to select partner for China mainland production by end of year.

Im not sure if that will add that much value for tesla, sure they can bring down the import tax by some amount.
But the chinese customer is a very special kind of customer, one which likes to spend 2x the money if the product is NOT made in China
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/16/us-china-luxury-idUSBRE9BF0QD20131216
Also the chinese customer is this price has to much "pride" to spent not enough money in a Car.
The Model S is already much cheaper in China than any of it competitors, and the worldwide demand for the Model X and Model S stay bigger then the supply for years to come.

I also read that a lot of Chinese prefer to import a Car Model from Europe, rather the buying the Chinese build which is much cheaper due to import tax. (Its exactly the same Car/Model etc.)

For the GenIII although that would be a good move.

Im not sure if that will add that much value for tesla, sure they can bring down the import tax by some amount.
But the chinese customer is a very special kind of customer, one which likes to spend 2x the money if the product is NOT made in China
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/16/us-china-luxury-idUSBRE9BF0QD20131216
Also the chinese customer is this price has to much "pride" to spent not enough money in a Car.
The Model S is already much cheaper in China than any of it competitors, and the worldwide demand for the Model X and Model S stay bigger then the supply for years to come.

I also read that a lot of Chinese prefer to import a Car Model from Europe, rather the buying the Chinese build which is much cheaper due to import tax. (Its exactly the same Car/Model etc.)

For the GenIII although that would be a good move.

The problem with Chinese built of the same Car/Model is that they are usually crappily made and safety suffers from cost cutting measures. Which is why the imported car manufactured in Europe have better price. Even the Chinese don't trust their own car manufacturers.

Would one of the resident experts mind explaining how AH/Pre-market pricing is determined? I see it dipped down to 191.XX pre-market, but on only 7,000 shares. Are people actually able to get trades executed at these prices? Can somebody just enter an extremely low bid and as long as someone is willing to sell, the trade will execute? I'm just a bit confused regarding the mechanics of AH trading.

To expand on Causalien's reply: Yes. Trading Tesla after hours is just like trading any low-volume speculative stock. You should never put in a market order, only limits. There are people (and people with computers) who will put in a limit bid that's far out of the current trading range, in the hopes that their side will dry up and the trade will actually happen. Or the computers will see that one side is drying up and try to satisfy the order. Whoever bought at $191 is laughing at the moment. Someone else, probably a small trader with a day job, got home, looked at his portfolio, and said "Gee, I should cash in some of the TSLA NOW, while it's up!". Or something like that.

I am wondering if this break-out has something to do with form SC 13G/A filed today by Capital Research Global Investors, indicating that by the end of last year they amassed almost 3.4 million shares of TSLA (2.8% of all outstanding shares per the filing):

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...x0xS1422848-14-141/1318605/1422848-14-141.pdf

Actually, according to Yahoo Finance -Major Holders as of 9/30/2013 report TSLA Major Holders | Tesla Motors, Inc. Stock - Yahoo! Finance
CRGI held about 4,078,000 shares as of Sept. 30, 2013, so it seems as if they sold about 678,000 shares in the 4th Q.

Thinking about it from a business perspective, I suspect this is a very sensible move when it comes to attracting capital from the Chinese government to help propel Tesla into pumping out additional millions of Gen III vehicles in China (I don't think I am overdoing it).

They can make an iPhone 5s can't they? Mercedes has a production plant in China, it is not beyond the wit of man to make something decent in China and silicon valley smarts is the way to make it happen. Added to which, the Gen III design will be assembled robotically for the most part no matter where it is produced.

No, this move doubles the value of the business as far as I can see. Forget about 700,000 vehicles in 2019, China will do that in 2019 in addition to maxing out NUMMI with 500K+. Maybe an extra plant in Europe will be announced in between. I would say more than likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.