Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Nevada Could Lure Tesla with Discounted Electricity" - Arizona Daily Star - June 23: http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...76f5fbcf9.html

I can't see that as being much of a lure... since the factory is supposed to have lots of solar farm right next door, probably produced by Solar City, that will produce the power it needs.

Is Nevada hoping to sell electricity generated via coal/oil etc. to Tesla?

Yes, two thirds of transportation costs max. But lets assume transportation costs account for whole percent of cost of battery pack delivered to Fremont - in that case total savings would be 0.6%. But this is very conservative estimate.

I agree that the transportation costs are going to have a minimal effect on the price of the vehicle, but he asked about the transportation cost directly, and it is really just a function of miles. Location of the factory should have very little effect on the short term price of TSLA, but just announcing that it is underway should create a bump once they report breaking ground.

Barron's

Does anyone have a comment about the short article in Barron's today?

title: Tesla Motors: Big Month Needed to Meet Targets
By Ben Levisohn

Here is the last sentence:
If China contributes a modest ~1,000 units for the quarter, it implies that North America and Europe combined need ~3,000 deliveries in June to meet 2Q Model S delivery guidance of 7,500 units.

dear Moderator,
I still cannot access my own profile. Have requested help on this numerous times via email. Any response would be appreciated.

The 6/17 one is actually the one I was referring to. Anyone have that?

To get the original research note, you need to go to MS website and dig into research, by analyst name. Adam Jonas has only several research notes, Tesla is the subject of one of his notes.

I can not copy and paste research note content as the site explicitly prohibits that.

MS has substantial financial interest in Tesla debt.

Put the research report in Dropbox, then PM the link to people who want to read it.

That would still count as violation, that would be a distribution of protected content. Not that I think that the content is so valuable to require protection, nor do I consider Adam Jonas's opinion more valuable than anyone else's, but it is wise to respect MS site's rules.

It is easy to find the research note, if anyone is keen enough.

I was just reading some of the stuff on Seeking Alpha. One of the ideas being floated by owners of 2015 and 2016 puts is that tesla has the production capacity and the battery cells to be producing at a much higher level, but chooses not to because it would push demand down and they couldn't sell in the 100,000 range. In addition, as their thesis runs, it would demonstrate that demand isn't all there if they were to make more cars. Interesting hypothesis, though I doubt that Tesla would waste their time not making cars just so the few that they sell can be priced higher.

I was just reading some of the stuff on Seeking Alpha. One of the ideas being floated by owners of 2015 and 2016 puts is that tesla has the production capacity and the battery cells to be producing at a much higher level, but chooses not to because it would push demand down and they couldn't sell in the 100,000 range. In addition, as their thesis runs, it would demonstrate that demand isn't all there if they were to make more cars. Interesting hypothesis, though I doubt that Tesla would waste their time not making cars just so the few that they sell can be priced higher.

Twisted logic put out by desperate shorts. Proven false by statements from multiple Panasonic and Tesla sources.

That just does not make sense.

Demand is not affected by supply. It is affected by product quality, price, desirability, etc.

Tesla can reduce their production costs by increasing plant output. The plant has fixed costs which stay the same regardless of the output. The higher the output, the more these fixed costs get diluted, thus cost per car drops. It is against Tesla's interests to reduce output.

China can easily absorb any number of cars.

People see and believe whatever they want to see and believe, whatever fits their view of reality.

That just does not make sense.

Demand is not affected by supply. It is affected by product quality, price, desirability, etc.

Tesla can reduce their production costs by increasing plant output. The plant has fixed costs which stay the same regardless of the output. The higher the output, the more these fixed costs get diluted, thus cost per car drops. It is against Tesla's interests to reduce output.

China can easily absorb any number of cars.

People see and believe whatever they want to see and believe, whatever fits their view of reality.

Agree. If this is the best argument they can come up with now, then we are in a really good place.

I think the good technical call was spotting the bull flag. Beyond that I just feel like we have a bit of momentum. At about 260 of course we would expect ATH resistence. For some reason I am looking at 250 for local resistance. Just gut feel time. Not technically overbought just yet.

june24_pic.JPG

I think the good technical call was spotting the bull flag. Beyond that I just feel like we have a bit of momentum. At about 260 of course we would expect ATH resistence. For some reason I am looking at 250 for local resistance. Just gut feel time. Not technically overbought just yet.

View attachment 52185

Based on behavior during the moved down, I'm surmising a low $240s resistance, then gap from there to the $260

Last time I sold covered calls, back in Feb, it was strike 265. Gigafactory announcement put my calls ITM and the experience was gut wrenching, as I sold too many contracts and wasn't ready to sell that many shares. I rolled some calls out and bought some back.

Now I sold covered calls, Jul 280. If history repeats itself, gigafactory announcement might put my calls into the money again.

I find it very difficult to be long and short at the same time, even if short position is just covered calls.

My long position is increasing over time and far outweighs my miniscule short position. Despite short position being small, it has significant effect on me. I can only imagine how shorts with large positions get distorted thinking due to their high stakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.