Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Devil's advocate:
Nothing is stopping Elon from announcing a larger battery that won't begin deliveries until 2015.

True. But does he really announce a larger battery at the beginning of Q4? A quarter in which Tesla must deliver 13,000+ Model S and risk customers delaying purchases until 2015 for a larger battery.

Or is he announcing features that are currently being delivered (Drive Assist) and Dual Motor (which the plant is tooled for production since re-opening)?

I think everyone on this forum is wrong (myself included). The D is for DROP IN CONSOLE. Elon unveils a Drop In Console in every interior (not just Piano black). Now that would truly impress me!!!!:smile:

Last edited:
The Twitter comments are all about the "unveil the D" being slang for what Ex Congressman Weiner did with his "D".

The other letter is possibly E (making "E.D." or erectile disfunction ) or P (making "PD" which is internet slang for "pierced D...")

I think the other letter is P, as DP is also lewd slang. And I think the DP85/PD85/P85D is the something extra and will be a whole new take on the performance version that put's it squarely in super-car territory.

True. But does he really announce a larger battery at the beginning of Q4? A quarter in which Tesla must deliver 13,000+ Model S and risk customers delaying purchases until 2015 for a larger battery.

michiganm, there is risk in revealing such improvements months in advance. I'm not sure at what point the deposit a customer makes becomes non-refundable. If all the orders they apparently have basically through December have non-refundable deposits, this issue would be somewhat mitigated (though, of course, this could cause other issues, issues the FUDsters would try to distort into some sort of big gaffe).

fwiw, as I said originally, I hope the extra something is s a bigger battery, but I'm expecting it to be driver assist details.

From the speculation thread:

Here's something everyone on here has seemed to miss: the scripted D in the photo. Being that it is in the same font as the P in P85, I think it's clear that it will go in the model name (not a feature like driver assist, which I think is the something else and gets us to the double D innuendo). It's also clear this is not a new model, Tesla clearly has limited resources and wouldn't be unveiling a completely new model when Model 3 hasn't even been designed/shown. Dual Motor is the most obvious because the work involved in its development, especially with the redundancy to Model X, would be relatively simple and produce large return (increase Model S demand and "testing" for the Model X). I think, as mentioned earlier, we are looking at a Model S D60, D85, PD85, PD85+ (maybe they'll skip the D60).

Here's something everyone on here has seemed to miss: the scripted D in the photo. Being that it is in the same font as the P in P85, I think it's clear that it will go in the model name (not a feature like driver assist, which I think is the something else and gets us to the double D innuendo). It's also clear this is not a new model, Tesla clearly has limited resources and wouldn't be unveiling a completely new model when Model 3 hasn't even been designed/shown. Dual Motor is the most obvious because the work involved in its development, especially with the redundancy to Model X, would be relatively simple and produce large return (increase Model S demand and "testing" for the Model X). I think, as mentioned earlier, we are looking at a Model S D60, D85, PD85, PD85+ (maybe they'll skip the D60).

Thats a great point about the scripted D. I just don't see how the D could stand for anything other than dual-motor. They wouldn't cause such a spectacle for driver assist features unless there is something revolutionary that they are hiding.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the "D" is dual motor and "the other letter" is "S", as in dual-motor Model S.

The "Glad I didn't mention the other letter" is because "D/s" is an abbreviation for Dominance and submission (I swear I had to look that up).
Dominance and submission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems possible but Model DS doesn't have a great ring to it. Reminds me of the Nintendo DS actually.

Thats a great point about the scripted D. I just don't see how the D could stand for anything other than dual-motor. They wouldn't cause such a spectacle for driver assist features unless there is something revolutionary that they are hiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems possible but Model DS doesn't have a great ring to it. Reminds me of the Nintendo DS actually.
ok guys and gals D is 1000 they beat 1000 cars a week

IMO it's definitely not a new model, it is a "D" version of the Model S.

To my surprise no-one has suggested "Deluxe" - which was my girlfriend's idea. They have long talked about a improvement to the seats, perhaps this is a more luxurious interior with (dare I say it) comfortable seats, grab handles, coat hooks, cup holders and proper sun visors?

I think alluding to "Driver" as in Driver Assistance could be something. Even though they have started to include some features already, this could refer to a major new feature that has a "Driver included in the car" - the evolutionary product line that culminates in autonomous driving, but for now will start with expressway on-ramp-to-off-ramp automation. This would not be introduced until next year IMO.

But as many have said, "D' is the first letter of "Dual" which is the word Tesla have long used when referring to their two-motor solution. They don't say "Twin motor" or "Two motor" or something else... it's "dual-motor." If this is the all-wheel-drive product, they could easily use an AWD badging, but Tesla like to bring attention to the fact that their cars use electric motors... of which there are two in the all-wheel-drive solution.

I'm going with D85 and D85+ as the two new variations. The dual-motor solution will come with the high-performance invertor. The question is, what will become of the "P" version - will that stick around as a RWD product? I personally am rooting for Tesla to make all their cars dual-motor. It's better for grip/handling and extends tire life. Perhaps "P" will go away... I find that hard to believe.

IMO the "something else" will refer to the roadster battery. They will want to withhold the 110KWh battery reveal until the Model X, so that the question of range is not left out there. (even though Model S110 will have longer range)

Anyhow at least we don't have long to find out. Hopefully TSLA will end up higher due to anticipation.

The reasoning is clear and concise. I'd guess there won't be a S-D60 since the second motor will need to pull extra power and Tesla wouldn't want a car that gets under 200 miles per charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.