Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on Elon's follow up twitter comment about not revealing the other letter after there were several folks joking about Elon revealing his "D". He said he's glad he did not mention the other letter. What else does he keep covered up but his "A". So there you have both letters D and A for Driver Assist.

I'm thinking the other letter in the case was the "P" of "P85D." So, he was saying he was glad he didn't tweet the letters "DP" (Look it up on Urban Dictionary if you have to).

I think news will get out about P85D by monday, and we could have an early sell on the news even before the news comes out, with there being no movement on the 9th....

Definitely possible. I wonder if Elon announces the P85D can do 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds what that will do to Model S demand, and if it stirs more demand and publicity (like how I imagine) then it could be positive for the stock even after the Oct 9th event.

Definitely possible. I wonder if Elon announces the P85D can do 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds what that will do to Model S demand, and if it stirs more demand and publicity (like how I imagine) then it could be positive for the stock even after the Oct 9th event.

That pic was found in an airport with airplane, and truck that pulls airplane. I wonder... if there will be a flashy demo, in which Model S P85D will be used to pull an airplane, to show off its power. Or perhaps, go head to head accelerate vs airplane? Hmm...

I guess here is some stuff to discuss further:
- AWD, Dual motor, will there be bigger battery (dual battery)? 110Kwh?
- Dual torque, double the HP? What is 0-60 time this time?
- Price to add the option for the D?
- When will this be offered? in Q4? if so this could bump the sales and Gross Margin perhaps?

Very happy with the price movement today. I like seeing the price move up in the second half of the day. My impression is that this is bullish for the next day, though I've never had the intra day data to verify this. Regardless, in our current situation it's all about the D. I like how this information will filter in over the coming week. As we learn more, the price should continue to strengthen. I do get the impression that Musk's antics are not so much for shareholders as they are for potential car buyers. He does not need to sell the stock; he needs to sell cars now and for years to come.

I am hoping that the margin on the D option is about $5000. That way if 20% to 50% opt for it this quarter, that could boost earnings $13M to $33M on 13k deliveries. So as more details come out, we'll be in a better position to gauge the impact. So the price should continue to climb as the market gets this sort of clarity.

I'm hoping for a $10-$15k premium. First if dual motor the performance will justify it, second it puts a reasonable gap between RWD models so people don't order just because (like having an Audi in SoCal) and finally more profit means that they can finance gigafactory investments out of earnings instead of debt or equity.

Guys, what if they announce a limited edition PxxxD+ that has enough power and traction to do a better 0-60 mph than a Bugatti Veyron. Then it will be the quickest road approved car in the world. Talk about halo effect... Not very likely but a guy can dream, right :)

Guys, what if they announce a limited edition PxxxD+ that has enough power and traction to do a better 0-60 mph than a Bugatti Veyron. Then it will be the quickest road approved car in the world. Talk about halo effect... Not very likely but a guy can dream, right :)

not likely.. the Veyron 0-62.1 MPH time is 2.46 seconds
Bugatti Veyron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of course the $25,000 set of tires and $70,000 to mount them in France is a bit over the top as well.

I can confirm, based on conversations with a former Tesla engineer, that this car will surpass the Bugatti Veyron. I also maintain that the much higher price point ($200k?) and relatively low-volume production of these cars will allow Tesla to resolve any reliability issues with the dual motor before releasing it in volume with Model X.

I can confirm, based on conversations with a former Tesla engineer, that this car will surpass the Bugatti Veyron. I also maintain that the much higher price point ($200k?) and relatively low-volume production of these cars will allow Tesla to resolve any reliability issues with the dual motor before releasing it in volume with Model X.

I highly doubt it will run sub 3's let alone beat a 2.4

hmmmm, that is quite a bar to set since the Veyron did 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and would make it in the top 3 for a production car in the 0-60 category.

It has the drag ratio to do it, the weight is questionable, but the power just isn't there (yet). I don't know if they can get that much power draw out of an 85kW to go that fast. It is like how there is an upper limit to just how fast you can push a V8 before you have to upgrade to a larger engine if you want to go faster. Even the McLaren P1 was only able to go 2.6 seconds using an electric motor to help them get there.

If they can pull this off it would be amazing! But I would be extremely happy getting a giant sedan going under 3.5 seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.