Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update. I'm starting to think that we'll be hitting that $300 mark pretty soon. Seems like one of those things where if enough people are saying it it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy :)
My feeling is that Ron Baron is signalling this. First, Barons quietly buys up 1M shares. Second, Ron Baron talks this up in the media. Third, other institutions reveal the same, and we've got ourselves a new bull run.

It wouldn't be two years in a row but rather 2013 COTY and potentially 2015 COTY. The Cadillac CTS got 2014, and had previously won in 2008 as well.

What would be really nice would be if the Model S took 2013 and 2015, then the Model X takes 2016. :D

Winning the 2015 MT COTY award for the P85D would be a huge win for Tesla. Is anybody sure that the P85D is even in the running? I looked into it a bit but couldn't find anything.

Winning the 2015 MT COTY award for the P85D would be a huge win for Tesla. Is anybody sure that the P85D is even in the running? I looked into it a bit but couldn't find anything.

Pure conjecture on my part at least.

In other news, I don't recall this being posted here before but here's a Fortune article mentioning Tesla has indeed received a California license for autonomous vehicle testing.
Hot commodity: Self-driving car permits in California - Fortune

- - - Updated - - -

My feeling is that Ron Baron is signalling this. First, Barons quietly buys up 1M shares. Second, Ron Baron talks this up in the media. Third, other institutions reveal the same, and we've got ourselves a new bull run.

Something interesting to consider is the volume profile today, the morning trading seemed like the development of a clear "VWAP smile". That would support the case there may be a large institutional investor with a large order being worked through the day. If true, we can expect more upward pressure in the last hour and half of trading as well.

Well, speak of the devil and he doth appear...

I am not expecting it to hold today, but if it does I will take it. I think the big thing is just putting pressure on it to dump out anyone selling off at this level. If we can keep enough pressure on the resistance it will naturally break.

Of course Barron's comments hopefully spurring on some more long term bulls will definitely help :)

Motor Trend should announce "Car of the Year" in a few days. Now the P85D is one of the Motor Trend's "Editors Picks".
One of our biggest surprise moves ever was after the 2012 MT COTY award.

COTY was no surprise. I expected it 100%. Model x will also get COTY. If p85D is legible it will be within a shout to win but I'm not as sure about that, might not be changed enough

I am not expecting it to hold today, but if it does I will take it. I think the big thing is just putting pressure on it to dump out anyone selling off at this level. If we can keep enough pressure on the resistance it will naturally break.

Of course Barron's comments hopefully spurring on some more long term bulls will definitely help :)
I'm optimistic about today's close. Today we broke out from the downward channel that started on the 5th of Sep.

Does this options-based explanation make sense?

Is Sentiment Shifting Among Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Traders? | Daily Option Blog | Schaeffer's Investment Research

"delta on the [weekly 11/14 250-strike] call has more than doubled, to 0.44 from 0.21 at yesterday's close. In other words, the options market is giving the calls a roughly 44% chance of finishing in the money on Friday, when the weekly series expires."

Electric vehicle maker Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is up 2.5% at $247.87 on no apparent news, though the company is scheduled to appear at the Robert W. Baird Industrial Conference this afternoon.

Is anyone a client of Robert W. Baird?

Conferences Offered by Baird

Does this options-based explanation make sense?

Is Sentiment Shifting Among Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Traders? | Daily Option Blog | Schaeffer's Investment Research

"delta on the [weekly 11/14 250-strike] call has more than doubled, to 0.44 from 0.21 at yesterday's close. In other words, the options market is giving the calls a roughly 44% chance of finishing in the money on Friday, when the weekly series expires."
If there is a large open option position, then delta hedging by (institutional) issuers will tend to reinforce an ongoing trend (they have to buy stock when the price goes up). The Black-Scholes formula assumes that someone issuing an option can delta hedge without moving the market; if the open position is large, this will obviously not hold. So yes, this may very well be a factor in today's movement.

Last edited:
COTY was no surprise. I expected it 100%. Model x will also get COTY. If p85D is eligible it will be within a shout to win but I'm not as sure about that, might not be changed enough

The P85D may also not be eligible because its base price is $105,670 and Motor Trend COTY eligibility requires base price of no more than $100,000.

Also, since the autopilot firmware isn't out yet, autopilot wouldn't be able to be tested, which was / will be one of the main upgrades to the car.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here...

HhN7dUrr.png

I'll just leave this here...

HhN7dUrr.png
We could very easily see a repeat of June where we float sideways until the 20DMA moves back above the 50DMA. I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, and it continues on up, but I think we will continue to be in this weird testing zone until the market fully embraces a bullish trend again or something negative shoots us back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.