Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Chief Technical analyst at InvestorPlace is arguing that once TSLA closes the gap from the D unveiling at ~255, it will go down to ~225. Is this just FUD? His reasoning is unclear to me but anyone with more TA knowledge want to agree/disagree?

Trade of the Day - Tesla Motors Inc TSLA Stock | InvestorPlace

In my view it’s all FUD. He’s supposedly their chief technical analyst, but almost all of his argument is based on cherry picked and misunderstood fundamentals that lead him to call the stock “grossly overpriced”. His only technical concern relates to filling the gap. Gaps may often be filled, but the direction afterward is uncertain. Also too much time may have passed for a gap to be a consideration. It’s incredible that he actually advises the public to sell a stock short. Perhaps he or his friends have already done so with TSLA.

Keep in mind that the tax on capital gains is usually reduced significantly, if a stock is held for more than a year. Also consider that for tax purposes, the clock for a stock's holding period is reset to zero when a protective put option has been purchased, and does not commence ticking until the put has been sold.

Doesn't the latter part only apply if the stock is still short term held? Like, you can buy protective puts vs long term held stock without resetting the clock, right?

Wow, TSLA up another 2%ish percent and you can hear a pin drop in here. We are to regard that as good in the low-chatter theory?

It is interesting to look at the weekly chart, and how symmetric the movement inside the channel has been. Passing the 20 week moving average.

weekly_13_nov_2014.JPG

Is that also true when writing covered calls with long term stock or LEAPs?

I would also like to know a concrete answer to this...some have told me it's ok while others have told me that it resets the LEAPS or counts as going 'short against the box'.

I've tried to find an answer in the IRS website before but the language they use to describe options trading is confusing at best, I feel like I need to bea lawyer to understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people made comments the other day about seeing evidence of an institutional pick-up trend.

Any comments in this regard today?

my feeling is that some institutions are lightening up their TSLA holdings while new institutions are initiating in new positions that are greater than the lightening of the load causing the high volume and share price to creep up.
Someone on here mentioned that Ron Baron's promotion was sort of like a 'signaling' to other Fund managers which I think is true and someone on here also had mentioned that as the GigaFactory and energy storage news comes out more a whole new class of Funds that focus on energy/utilities are starting to incorporate some TSLA into their portfolios which I think is also true.

Also, it's my feeling that the shorter term speculative TSLA investors who go long (AKA 'weak longs') are not as influential at this point in my opinion, AND that as approximately 1000 more deliveries get made each week there also are 200-300 newborn high net worth long term investors in TSLA adding to an increasing tide over time.

....AND that as approximately 1000 more deliveries get made each week there also are 200-300 newborn high net worth long term investors in TSLA adding to an increasing tide over time.

That's an interesting aspect that I had not really considered...buying a Tesla can feel like "getting on the team" for a certain percentage of people who choose to afford a $100K car.

Tesla Roadster in an accident in Alaska due to icy roads. Obviously this shouldn't affect short term prices but with TSLA you never know. I think reports say the car is totaled but the guy was treated on site for minor injuries and didn't have to go to the hospital. If anything, this should be a positive impact to TSLA :) Car is super safe and more incentive to buy Dual motor if you're in icy climate

Rare Tesla electric car demolished in Parks Highway crash - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner: Alaska News
Tesla electric car is after Parks Highway crash | Alaska Dispatch

Some people made comments the other day about seeing evidence of an institutional pick-up trend.

Any comments in this regard today?

It certainly feels that way. TSLA is moving along with the big NASDAQ movements, with some built in buying pressure and higher volumes than normal on zero news the last two days. Retail investors will typically trade more when there's buzz (news) around a stock.

On a related note, a lot of 13-F forms from various institutions are being published this week indicating their holdings as of Sep 30. If there were any material changes to TSLA holdings we may hear about it.

That's an interesting aspect that I had not really considered...buying a Tesla can feel like "getting on the team" for a certain percentage of people who choose to afford a $100K car.

Mejojo, Once you start driving your MS regularly, you'll understand this sentiment. Within a month you'll be thinking, "This car is the future, the ICE is dead." You're driving a car that can silently beat any muscle car on the street and yet it gets better energy economy than a dinky smart car. It also happens to be the safest car ever sold. Then you'll receive a cool update of the car's software one night and you'll become even more impressed with Tesla's methods. Since people who can afford a $100,000 car can typically afford to invest, some will invest in a technology that shows such a huge potential in one of the largest manufacturing markets in the world. I bought some TSLA before buying my car, but I upped my holdings significantly after owning a Tesla for a couple months.

Last edited:
Mejojo, Once you start driving your MS regularly, you'll understand this sentiment. Within a month you'll be thinking, "This car is the future, the ICE is dead." You're driving a car that can silently beat any muscle car on the street and yet it gets better energy economy than a dinky smart car. It also happens to be the safest car ever sold. Then you'll receive a cool update of the car's software one night and you'll become even more impressed with Tesla's methods. Since people who can afford a $100,000 car can typically afford to invest, some will invest in a technology that shows such a huge potential in one of the largest manufacturing markets in the world. I bought some TSLA before buying my car, but I upped my holdings significantly after owning a Tesla for a couple months.

Oh, I know. I've been driving a Volt for 2 1/2 years....burned 140 gallons of gas in 42,000 miles. I've drunk the kool-aid, just waiting for the power and luxury version to arrive.

It seems to me that we are silently witnessing a transition of a news-driven stock to an unstoppable stock:cool:

Silence may be due to confusion

I'm silently wishing the stock will hit the low 249's within the next 15 minutes so my weekly puts get sold. Of course I want a close above 250. Oops they are gone now. Ok, back up over 250... Hey, this is the short term thread right.

I'm silently wishing the stock will hit the low 249's within the next 15 minutes so my weekly puts get sold. Of course I want a close above 250. Oops they are gone now. Ok, back up over 250... Hey, this is the short term thread right.

Wow didn't even hit 249.50 which is where I thought we would have to go for someone to buy them. 77% gain on a day trade. I'm happy about that, though it was a very small play.

I learned my lesson with covered calls. Whenever I sell, stock goes into upward frenzy and I loose sleep as I start dreaming about my next tax return.

Puts are even worse, so expensive

I think my trading strategy is crystallising into holding stock and leaps. I try to buy leaps on lows and sell or roll on sp rises. Much less pain than with short term calls and puts, and much more sleep time.

My 2 concerns... Did I miss something? Haven't red it here, saw some tweets Diogenes on Twitter: ""There was nothing left to sell."-Musk on last week's $TSLA conference call. They apparently told Consumer Reports otherwise."

The other thing is - how they are going to sell battery storage solutions, if they are supply constrained (mostly batteries, innit?): http://seekingalpha.com/news/2125235-tesla-motors-preps-solar-rooftop-initiative

You need to come up with a more credible source than some guy on twitter saying Musk was lying in the recent conference call, seems highly unlikely to say the least.

Regarding the battery sales Tesla might not be battery constrained right now, Panasonic has just upped their output recently, they probably has some extra batteries if they say so, won't be huge battery storage sales right off the bat anyway.

You need to come up with a more credible source than some guy on twitter saying Musk was lying in the recent conference call, seems highly unlikely to say the least.

Regarding the battery sales Tesla might not be battery constrained right now, Panasonic has just upped their output recently, they probably has some extra batteries if they say so, won't be huge battery storage sales right off the bat anyway.

I remember myself hearing Elon said they sold all, like, no leftovers at all.. but here you get different info:
Updated 2015 Teslas Mean Black Friday Discounts - Consumer Reports News

"A source inside Tesla has told us that the company has about 2,300 remaining 2014 Model S cars, including showroom display cars, that the company is selling at a discount."

I am shareholder, and I am mostly positive about tesla, but when something bad pops up, 99% I dont care, but sometimes it makes me double check, or ask for comments here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.