Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW Charges into Tesla Territory with Mobile Storage Program - The Green Optimistic

Ok, this is a good application, but $1000 per month to allow PG&E not to charge your i3 at peak times, I want that deal! Somebody tell me that is a typo.

I think BMW has joined the rest of the auto world in trying to find Tesla's weak points. Tesla doesn't allow power to be removed from the batteries for non-automotive purposes because that power could have been put in free of charge through a supercharger. Otherwise, someone could make money loading up on electricity at a nearby supercharger and then selling it back to the utility or using it to power their homes. If I had a choice between supercharger access and using my battery as a PG&E buffer, I would opt for supercharger access.

Regarding autopilot features and model x redux on redesigned website-- i think the timing was for the upcoming auto show, and may be to blunt upcoming promises from other auto manufacturers. It remains to be seen why they would release the full info on autopilot features without any asterisk or caveat? Thoughts??

I think BMW has joined the rest of the auto world in trying to find Tesla's weak points. Tesla doesn't allow power to be removed from the batteries for non-automotive purposes because that power could have been put in free of charge through a supercharger. Otherwise, someone could make money loading up on electricity at a nearby supercharger and then selling it back to the utility or using it to power their homes. If I had a choice between supercharger access and using my battery as a PG&E buffer, I would opt for supercharger access.

I guess this could easily be addressed by Tesla with software coding. Since the car is always connected to Tesla Motors they would know exactly what your car is doing and if you are using the car battery to run your home, Tesla could easliy charge you some $ for that electricity you took from a Supercharger, if it is used for anything else than driving. Actually the more I think about it, it makes sense and I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla would offer this option to their customers sometime in the future.

Elon Musk on Venturebeat. Batteries $ 80 kWh based on LME material cost

Interview
But while he dropped out of the program after only a few days, the field left an impression on the billionaire-to-be.
Perhaps most crucially, it trained him in “first principles thinking,” a mode of inquiry that relentlessly pursues the foundations of a problem.
“I think it’s important to reason from first principles rather than by analogy,” Musk said in an interview with Kevin Rose.
“The normal way we conduct our lives is we reason by analogy,” he said. “[With analogy] we are doing this because it’s like something else that was done, or it is like what other people are doing. [With first principles] you boil things down to the most fundamental truths … and then reason up from there.”
The first-principles approach has deep roots.
Over 2300 years ago, Aristotle said that a first principle is the “first basis from which a thing is known” and that pursuing first principles is the key to doing any sort of systemic inquiry — whether in philosophy, as he did, or in business, as Musk does.
While Musk admits that arguing from first principles “takes a lot more mental energy,” you can end up with novel or even groundbreaking results.
The first-principles method was crucial for the start of SpaceX.
When Musk and his team were trying to estimate how much the first SpaceX rockets would cost, they could have just looked at the products on the market. But as the blog 99u points out, his team didn’t settle for that analogy-based argument. Instead, they figured out what the necessary parts of a rocket were, and then found out how much the raw materials of those parts would cost.
The result was startling: SpaceX could build a rocket for about 2% of the typical price.
So much for conventional wisdom.
In his interview with Rose, Musk provided another example:
Someone could — and people do — say battery packs are really expensive and that’s just the way they will always be because that’s the way they have been in the past. They would say, “It’s going to cost $600 / kilowatt-hour. It’s not going to be much better than that in the future.”
But first-principles thinking will not heed the pundits’ advice.
Instead, you start asking fundamental questions. Musk continues:
What are the material constituents of the batteries? What is the spot market value of the material constituents? It has carbon, nickel, aluminum, and some polymers for separation, and a steel can. Break that down on a materials basis, if we bought that on a London Metal Exchange, what would each of these things cost?
Oh jeez, it’s $80 / kilowatt-hour. Clearly, you need to think of clever ways to take those materials and combine them into the shape of a battery cell, and you can have batteries that are much cheaper than anyone realizes.
The takeaway: With first-principles thinking, you attack problems from a different angle, potentially making much better decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today will probably be a rough day for tsla after the Bolt news release and the price of oil going below $40.
Neither of these have any effect of tsla long term, but the media will be all over "the tesla killer" today.
Will be interesting to see how today plays out.

First pics of Bolt (still covered) are out: First Images Of Chevrolet Bolt (CrossVolt?) At 2015 NAIAS

10913474_10202223561829353_359035896_n.jpg

In the meantime GM pulled back the curtain covering the Chevy Bolt: Chevrolet Bolt (CrossVolt) Revealed

chevrolet-bolt-NAIAS-uncovered.jpg

From shape and size, it seems like the Bolt is competition for other small Mega City Vehicles like BMW i3 and Mitsu iMiev rather than Tesla Model 3 or Model S.

Last edited:
Today will probably be a rough day for tsla after the Bolt news release and the price of oil going below $40.
Neither of these have any effect of tsla long term, but the media will be all over "the tesla killer" today.
Will be interesting to see how today plays out.

Looks like we are already down pre-market. I wonder if Tesla PR will decide to compete with the Bolt release. Maybe that's why the Production Model X isn't out yet.

Just to throw it out there, the Volt being beefed up to 50 miles is for ZEV credits... if I am not mistaken. That is the minimum they need to get credits. *Yawn* nothing to see here.

The bolt looks ugly... just saying... I hate that scrunched up design... it is why I hate the look of the other "city" cars... It's like someone crash tested a car and then decided they would sell it like that... bleh.

For those who are liquid and looking to buy TSLA now is a great time. A lot of the pressure we're seeing is because of this Bolt (click bait, search spiders from bots, and "analysts" who don't quite understand the value of superior products. I'm hating the downward pressure and would pick up more if I wasnt all in.

For those who are liquid and looking to buy TSLA now is a great time. A lot of the pressure we're seeing is because of this Bolt (click bait, search spiders from bots, and "analysts" who don't quite understand the value of superior products. I'm hating the downward pressure and would pick up more if I wasnt all in.

Do you have a PT? On paper my stock/J17s will not be looking good with my prediction (I am wrong more than right) of 180s. It hopefully won't get there but I will be pushing cash in at that point. This looks to be a volitile week, or perhaps month if you include the suspected ER date of Feb 17 that some have predicted.

Ok so the Bolt is basically a BMW i3

The looks are relatively unimportant... who knows, maybe the Model 3 will go this route too. Unfortunately, we have no real details, not even a cutaway drawing.

As for the market, the sloppy reporting of the $30k sticker means that people assume it undercuts the Model 3. But in reality, it's $37.5k since the $30k price is after the $7,500 federal tax credit. Also, no details on fast charging, battery capacity, or pretty much any real information. So basically, it's vaporware fighting vaporware. They showed a concept car, not even at the level of the Model X prototype.

The looks are relatively unimportant... who knows, maybe the Model 3 will go this route too. Unfortunately, we have no real details, not even a cutaway drawing.

As for the market, the sloppy reporting of the $30k sticker means that people assume it undercuts the Model 3. But in reality, it's $37.5k since the $30k price is after the $7,500 federal tax credit. Also, no details on fast charging, battery capacity, or pretty much any real information. So basically, it's vaporware fighting vaporware. They showed a concept car, not even at the level of the Model X prototype.

Although technically less vaporware than the Model 3. At least I will give GM for showing a car and claiming 200 miles on said car. Even if it is a compliance car (although that won't be confirmed until they actually start to sell it.)

I just hope this forces Tesla's hand to show something or say something they might not have otherwise done. Especially if the FUD piles in full force about the Model 3 being vaporware AND worse that the Bolt... It might force Tesla to show it off sooner rather than later just to show people what a REAL 35k car should look like.

Oh and I don't think the Model 3 will go this route as that would be against what Elon said about it "Not looking like any other car". This looks like a cross between an i3 and a Leaf... (more i3 than Leaf... but still) so if they went this route then it wouldn't be different... it would be the same... which would be depressing.

Yes, the looks might not be that important.
But if you compare the size of the Chevy Bolt and a Model S for example, it becomes obvious that the Bolt is nothing but a tiny Mega City Vehicle (like BMW i3, or Mitsu iMiev).
As far as I know Model 3 will be same size as BMW 3 series or Benz C-Class, thus Model 3 will be bigger than the Chevy Bolt (thus entirely different competition).

Status
Not open for further replies.