Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most likely but on a down news day it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Tesla has a lot of driver analytics and should be able to offer smarter recommendations. Its not what it is, its how its presented that will relieve range anxiety anxiety.

Most likely but on a down news day it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Tesla has a lot of driver analytics and should be able to offer smarter recommendations. Its not what it is, its how its presented that will relieve range anxiety anxiety.

Although we may be 100% certain of what will be released tomorrow, I am much less certain of how the market will react. Given TSLA has been oversold for some time now, the recent turn of events may be what we need to move forward. The Nikkei and Shanghai are at new highs, so are markets here in the US. You can never be so sure with Tesla.

People easily forget how fast TSLA and other so-called momos can rip off a 10% move day or two in either direction. The relatively flat recent trading has lulled many into a sense of complacency. The market is merciless, and often punishes such complacency/overconfidence.

No one knows the extent of what Elon and Tesla will announce tomorrow, except Elon and Tesla.

Personally, I am primed for action. These tradeable events in a semi-predictable macro environment don't come along too often. Good luck to all tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck, squeezes oftentimes take us by surprise and occur when buyers/sellers least expect it.

^^ This.

Great speech by Ron Baron today posted
Ron Baron: Tesla is creating the future automobile industry
Few paragraphs of the speech on Tesla:

-------------------------

AT&T and Eastman Kodak had similar cultures. Both suppressed technology that posed threats to their businesses.

Another industry that’s missing the boat? CARS!

SLIDE: Cars falling off boats

We believe automobile manufacturers reliant upon internal combustion engines could meet a similar fate to that of AT&T and Eastman Kodak.

In 1910, at the dawn of the automobile, of 4,000 cars in America, more used electric power than internal combustion engines! Electrics were quieter, had fewer moving parts and required less physical strength to operate. Even Henry Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F)’s wife preferred her electric to her husband’s Model T.

SLIDE: Clara Ford in electric car

The internal combustion engine prevailed. The reason? In 1910, gasoline cost seven cents a gallon, half the cost of electricity! Today, things are different. Gasoline is $3 a gallon, four times the cost of electricity!

Even though electrics now cost less to operate and are safer than cars with internal combustion engines, traditional auto manufacturers have little interest and no incentive to adopt new electric technology. Those auto makers are handcuffed by large investments in engine plants, restrictive union contracts, and legacy dealer networks.

Elon Musk’s Tesla, with its culture forged in Silicon Valley, not Detroit, has attracted more than 700 of the most talented engineers from around the world. We expect that number to continue growing rapidly.

Tesla is also investing billions in its business, and is on the verge of disrupting existing car manufacturers who have been ‘asleep at the wheel’. While Tesla is creating the future automobile industry… here’s what Detroit’s been working on…

SLIDE: Film Clip: Ron Burgundy Playing Sax

We don’t invest in companies like Kodak, AT&T and traditional car companies, which are trying to protect short-term profitability of legacy businesses by cutting costs rather than investing to grow.

We make long-term investments in what we believe are well managed, competitively advantaged, growing businesses that are “Built to Last.”

--------------------------

Just to play devil's advocate to my own bullishness... when I think about whether or not the stock will be affected by the announcement tomorrow, I think... this improvement is very much a Tesla-specific update that adds improvements to the software that already exists, and re-affirms the image of the Tesla brand as one that incrementally improves its cars over time. I do not think it will be some all-new function which has no half-finished precursor version in the car today. Even if this increases demand for the car, demand already handily outstrips supply, and the investment community is very much focused on how many cars Tesla can make. Will this software improvement really change the number of cars that can be built? Not really.

So how could the announcement make the stock go up?

I haven't a clue. But then, I have no why some of the previous announcements made it go down.

It goes down when the media or analysts hype it up into something it never was supposed to be... and then when Tesla reveal exactly what they were planning to, they disappoint. Example, "time to reveal the D and something else" saw Trip Chowdhry claiming that Tesla was going to reveal the Model 3, which got him a lot of coverage, but TSLA fell when that didn't happen. Another example is that Trip Chowdhry has claimed that Tesla will unveil some sort of new battery tech. TSLA has risen... but the new battery tech won't be revealed.

The announcement 'might'.....but, EM has a tendency to speak of the cuff. I understand there will be questions from the press so we might learn about other things.....some of those things would move the stock.

Yes... Elon likes to talk :) good point.

Tomorrow's trading may be a bit confusing for all of us in that there are no clear definitive number for investors or bots to look for. It's not as simple as a miss or beat during QR, instead, investors will need to listen in and process information... all in awhile the market continues to trade during real time. Bots wont be able to look for key words such as "patient" so rigging the market is a bit trickier than usual..up or down movements may not wait for individual investors to interpret info. which will lead to some confusion caused by panic from both sides, some investors may play the wait and see game then jump in. Shorts may or may not roll the dice and test the game of chicken, waiting to see who blinks first. During moments of confusion like these, greedy and fearful investors sometimes make illogical decisions pushing the stock further up or down depending on a handful of variables causing others to panic, then followed by a bit of chaos before prices start to stabilize in a clear trajectory (just how many times have we seen this happen with TESLA)?

Or the price will go straight up or straight down... it's anyone's guess and at this point after FEDS and NJ, investor morale may just have turned the corner for the better.

Ultimately, I think we have a pretty good shot of a squeeze; but that would depend on how many weaker longs were weeded out the past 4-5 months and how much stronger longs bought up to give $200 a solid support for tomorrow's play. Combine this with sideline longs who are now a bit worried about missing a possible train and you have a pretty good scenario. If we don't get a run-up tomorrow, there's always the next train in stationary storage, then QR in May, or Elon may just tweet an early release of a beat like he once did... that's the beauty of being long, there's always next time... now If prices move downwards, will $195 hold steady for the next leg up? Either way, I think having a small amount of insurance in puts will be rewarding if one is already long TSLA.

As always, good luck!

Last edited:
It's unusual to see so many Fear, Doubt and Uncertain here for tomorrow's event. I feel the market might jump big to surprise most of the people :). From TA, the down trend resistance is around 207, if tomorrow TSLA can jump over 207 with volume, it could well tell the reverse of 6 months long downward trend.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny. That guy was pretty bullish on TSLA, how come Elon blocked him on tweeter?
Add another amusement to the circus. Elon blocked him on twitter. He's obviously got his facts nailed down and offering sound insight. :wink:

Tesla's Revenue Windfall: Zero-Emissions Tax Credits - Bloomberg Business

It's unusual to see so many Fear, Doubt and Uncertain here for tomorrow's event. I feel the market might jump big to surprise most of the people :). From TA, the down trend resistance is around 207, if tomorrow TSLA can jump over 207 with volume, it could well tell the reverse of 6 months long downward trend.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny. That guy was pretty bullish on TSLA, how come Elon blocked him on tweeter?

Cory Johnson bullish? Cory Johnson: Perpetual $TSLA Cynic?

- - - Updated - - -

It might have been from his asking what Tesla's patents are worth or equally thoughtful comments that got him blocked...but maybe he was just trolling on Twitter I don't know.
Why Tesla Is Not Cost-Efficient for Apple - Bloomberg Business

Status
Not open for further replies.