Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Lunedì annunceremo un accordo che abbiamo raggiunto con Tesla, un'azienda che si è ricavata una posizione di leader nella costruzione di macchine elettriche e che da oltre un anno sta lavorando alla produzione di batterie elettriche ad uso domestico sviluppando le conoscenze messe a punto nella produzione di batterie per auto"

Translated:
"Monday we will announce a deal we have made with Tesla, a leader in the construction of electric cars that for more than a year has been working on the production of electric batteries for home use by developing the knowledge they have accumulated while producing car batteries".

Source: http://it.reuters.com/article/italianNews/idITL5N0XZ3EI20150508

Did this Enel Green announcement happen? Can't seem to find any mention of it and it's already Tuesday in Italy...

Two questions I hope folks here can help:

1) there was discussion earlier that Adam Jonas is back peddling on his comments last week, can someone post link?
2) could some of the TSLA uptake since energy announcement, then earnings be part of a short squeeze? Anyone know current percent shares short, and how many days they have to cover?

Two questions I hope folks here can help:

1) there was discussion earlier that Adam Jonas is back peddling on his comments last week, can someone post link?
2) could some of the TSLA uptake since energy announcement, then earnings be part of a short squeeze? Anyone know current percent shares short, and how many days they have to cover?

I just posted the short info: Tracking short interest - Page 33

Great stuff. They don't hold back on their wording either:

Protecting dealers from abuses by manufacturers does not justify a blanket prohibition like that in the current Michigan law, which extends to all vehicle manufacturers, even those like Tesla and Elio who have no interest in entering into a franchise agreement with any dealer.

Absent some legitimate public purpose, consumers would be better served if the choice of distribution method were left to motor vehicle manufacturers and the consumers to whom they sell their products.

I bet the legal department at Tesla is well prepared to take this thing to the Federal courts or Supreme Court when the time is ripe?

Thanks, Johan. I suspect that a similar letter will be sent from the FTC to Texas government officials, if they appear to be taking no action this month to overturn their law forcing all automakers to sell through franchised dealerships. We may indeed be getting closer to the day that the FTC joins Tesla Motors in federal court to overturn protectionist (economic rent-seeking) dealership laws that are contrary to the interstate commerce clause of the United States Constitution.

Despite Illinois so far presenting no interference to Tesla Motors, today I forwarded the FTC letter to our governor, my state senator and my state representative. Others here may want to do the same for their state officials.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I saw this post, I wanted a link to Adam's complete analysis article....I will try googling myself.

Well, as someone pointed out, when he wasn't confident about Tesla all the media quoted him, now I can't find today's update directly. If someone has outside link, please post.

Here is a mostly positive Forbes article that somehow wasn't worthy of the Yahoo newsfeed, even though negative headlines from Forbes frequently are: Tesla Investors Unfazed By Battery Project Challenges, Financing Needs - Forbes

Not sure why they're changing it now. Their risk management team apparently has their reasons. It's also unclear if this change is across the board or only for those with concentrated positions. TSLA is my only holding in this particular account. The rate has been 50% for as long as I've held TSLA in this account, which is early 2013.

This is my thinking. All things being equal, a widespread increase in margin requirements could catalyze a short squeeze as 100% of shorts are on margin compared to a relatively smaller % of longs.

They probably calculated that Friday's opex will mean some people's net balance will be negative. This forces them to bring it back and allow for a week instead of total destruction within one second.

Also possible when there are great reduction in liquidity of the stock. Such as a big lender of stock suddenly brought his account up to date and cash balance is no longer negative. So their supply of stocks for lending got reduced significantly.

Wow, really strong praise from a former naysayer. Disclaimer: I love everything associated with Richard Hammond.

First drive: Tesla Model S P85D - BBC Top Gear

First of all, WOW. This must be a really cold day in Hell! (Of course, this wasn't written by Clarkson, he is gone now. Oh well.)
Second, just to start your day off in a light mood, this one really made me laugh:
pic.PNG

Hopefully this will help potential China sales and will influence our short term price: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-modify-cars-match-china-010128039.html
We knew that for months, so I doubt this will influence the share price unless they clarified their plans, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
E.g. Here Zhu with his new-year plans: 特斯拉中国新帅:政府关系是2015年工作重点
Bloomberg said:
China hasn't given a timetable on introducing its electric-vehicle charging standards
That's disappointing.
Looks like 70D battery does weigh the same as battery pack in 60, indicating that 70D is likely using new generation cells that have about 16.6% higher energy density.
A Tesla spokesperson told Greencarreports that the 70D is using the same cells as the 60.

Just received a call from ETrade. They will be raising the margin requirement on TSLA from 50% to 90% this week.

Well, time to close that account I guess.

Just logged into my account to check and it says the req is currently 60%...

Can anyone suggest a broker that has a good UI and has a reasonable margin requirement on TSLA? Don't really care about the interest rate, I actually mostly transfer money from my main account with a 4.25% rate (which doesn't allow certain trades, I think it wouldn't let me short puts or something, I forget)...I just need to have some buying power available to make trades when necessary. And I'm not going to get that with a ridiculous 90% requirement.

Last edited:
this may have been mentioned before, but i just read a quick article on forbes about ashlee vance's book on elon musk, which gets released next week on tuesday.

as odd as it may sound, i think this could be a catalyst (good or bad, although i'm inclined to think good) for TSLA given the amount of press that books typically get right around the time of release.

something to think about...
surfside

Thanks for letting us know. It seems that there is also a second book to be released by Ashlee Vance
http://www.amazon.com/Elon-Musk-Billionaire-Spacex-Shaping/dp/0753555638/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

A Tesla spokesperson told Greencarreports that the 70D is using the same cells as the 60.

the source in that article was unnamed, and I suspect that information was coming from the local service center. Personnel at local SC is known to provide information which is often not accurate. The data, however, both the range and car weight strongly suggest that 70D use higher energy density cells.

the source in that article was unnamed, and I suspect that information was coming from the local service center. Personnel at local SC is known to provide information which is often not accurate. The data, however, both the range and car weight strongly suggest that 70D use higher energy density cells.

And there is absolutely nothing shocking about that! Come on, the S came out with cells designed in the 2009-2012 time frame, right? Is it logical to think Tesla is not going to implement any of the efficiences of the past 3 years when they claim batteries improve by 7-8% each year?

Last edited:
And there is absolutely nothing shocking about that! Come on, the S came out with cells designed in the 2009-2012 time frame, right? Is it logical to think Tesla is not goimg to implement any of the efficiences of the past 3 years when they claim batteries improve by 7-8% each year?
Also JB specifically stated at one of the ER CC that new gen. cells that will be produced at GF will have 10-15% higher energy density. This GF production of new cells is scheduled to start in the beginning of 2016.I suspect that we will hear more about this in July, with the start of Model X configuration on-line.

Well, time to close that account I guess.

Just logged into my account to check and it says the req is currently 60%...

Can anyone suggest a broker that has a good UI and has a reasonable margin requirement on TSLA? Don't really care about the interest rate, I actually mostly transfer money from my main account with a 4.25% rate (which doesn't allow certain trades, I think it wouldn't let me short puts or something, I forget)...I just need to have some buying power available to make trades when necessary. And I'm not going to get that with a ridiculous 90% requirement.

Fangio, Check out Intersctive Brokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.