Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like 70D battery does weigh the same as battery pack in 60, indicating that 70D is likely using new generation cells that have about 16.6% higher energy density. See this post for details.

As stated in that thread I don't believe there is enough evidence to support that conclusion. I also find it hard to believe that Tesla would only use these "new" cells in the low end 70D and not the flagship 85 cars, though I do admit there could be some strategy in doing so.

Can Tesla's Battery Hit $1 Billion Faster Than the iPhone? - Bloomberg Business

"We too easily forget that Tesla is much more than just the Model S,” said Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas in a note to investors on Monday. "In the past week, I have been asked by more friends, colleagues, clients and relatives about the virtues of the residential Powerwall product for their own personal household use than I’ve been asked about any vehicle manufactured by any auto company I’ve covered in my 18 years as an auto analyst."

As stated in that thread I don't believe there is enough evidence to support that conclusion. I also find it hard to believe that Tesla would only use these "new" cells in the low end 70D and not the flagship 85 cars, though I do admit there could be some strategy in doing so.
i am trying to figure out TM strategy IF the new cells are higher density. Certainly you will put them on the X to lower weight/increase range. The tricky part is if you have these higher density cells do you increase the pack size, keeping the weight the same as the S85 pack but now you have a 105 pack. Doing this is great for the X but does it Osborne the S85 with people waiting for the S105?

i am trying to figure out TM strategy IF the new cells are higher density. Certainly you will put them on the X to lower weight/increase range. The tricky part is if you have these higher density cells do you increase the pack size, keeping the weight the same as the S85 pack but now you have a 105 pack. Doing this is great for the X but does it Osborne the S85 with people waiting for the S105?

I could see a strategy where they keep it quiet until the X launch/announcement in July, then announce X70, and X105, and have the S70 and S105 immediately available. Perhaps finalized S85's are already the new S105 to minimize unhappiness for new customers (like the autopilot hw last year). Taking it a step further into awesome but very unlikely... all 85's since the 70D launch are actually sneaky 105's to be unlocked that night via firmware.

I could see a strategy where they keep it quiet until the X launch/announcement in July, then announce X70, and X105, and have the S70 and S105 immediately available. Perhaps finalized S85's are already the new S105 to minimize unhappiness for new customers (like the autopilot hw last year). Taking it a step further into awesome but very unlikely... all 85's since the 70D launch are actually sneaky 105's to be unlocked that night via firmware.

Very unlikely indeed , however I would be fun to DO indeed see a "Range extention by Firmware update" happening for selected customers (after the wild speculation before the Range anxiety event :) )
The will have to send replacment badge and use a new VIN code as well (making that detectable in advance). So will not happen, but it is fun to imagine the press reponse :cool:.

Very unlikely indeed , however I would be fun to DO indeed see a "Range extention by Firmware update" happening for selected customers (after the wild speculation before the Range anxiety event :) )
The will have to send replacment badge and use a new VIN code as well (making that detectable in advance). So will not happen, but it is fun to imagine the press reponse :cool:.
Having said that, if there is a place and time to retire the 85 in favour of a 105, it's the Model X launch. Just don't see the firmware unlock happening. What they could do though is allow yet tombe delivered 85s to be converted into a 70 or 105.

Back on topic, we seem to be up a little after a brief dive this morning. I wonder if any move up is likely in the absence of new information, like clients announcing concrete partnerships with Tesla Energy.

Here is a direct link to the FTC admonishing Michigan officials yesterday for requiring all automakers to sell through franchised dealerships: FTC on direct car sales

Yesterday I informed my Illinois governor and legislators about the FTC's comments. You may want to do the same in your state.

Below is the response I received this morning from my Republican state representative whom I ran against in 2012. We have since become good friends.

Thank you, Curt.

I believe the TX dealers shut out Tesla a couple of years ago from that state because the company would not sell its vehicles through dealerships. (So much for "free market" TX!). Don't know if that decision has been reversed or not.

Appreciate the background from MI.

Best,

David Harris
State Representative

Last edited:

I highly doubt there will be an S100 or 105 or anything. My guess would be S70/85 and X85/100 with approx same ranges.

What is New Mexico, chopped liver? I guess the media doesn't realize "New Mexico" is a state in the United States.

Not only are sales banned in New Mexico, but service is too. Tesla owners are screwed here.

I always think of this when New Mexico gets forgotten:
ED072596b: Dumb And Dumber

And you really are screwed. The sales ban in Texas does not feel like a ban because there are service centers. BTW I love your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.