Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this may have been mentioned before, but i just read a quick article on forbes about ashlee vance's book on elon musk, which gets released next week on tuesday.

as odd as it may sound, i think this could be a catalyst (good or bad, although i'm inclined to think good) for TSLA given the amount of press that books typically get right around the time of release.

something to think about...
surfside

this may have been mentioned before, but i just read a quick article on forbes about ashlee vance's book on elon musk, which gets released next week on tuesday.

as odd as it may sound, i think this could be a catalyst (good or bad, although i'm inclined to think good) for TSLA given the amount of press that books typically get right around the time of release.

something to think about...
surfside

Interesting....so what is everyone's thought on this book since there was a thread disputing part of what she is saying? Even the guy at 'Wait, but why' website who got to talk to Elon and said he got an advanced copy of the book said to get it.....not sure.....

Small musing:
Until about 2-3 months back, a specific set of this thread's participants' posts would show - for me, at any rate - a Yahoo Finance chart and summary of TSLA to the right of the post. Does anyone know why it disappeared: was it something I did to my set-up, or was there a sea change in the firum?

Small musing:
Until about 2-3 months back, a specific set of this thread's participants' posts would show - for me, at any rate - a Yahoo Finance chart and summary of TSLA to the right of the post. Does anyone know why it disappeared: was it something I did to my set-up, or was there a sea change in the firum?

This chart always seemed to show on the last post at the bottom to the right. I noticed it stopped updating the news/quotes for a while then disappeared, probably not a coincidence.

...a Yahoo Finance chart and summary of TSLA to the right of the post... was it something I did to my set-up, or was there a sea change in the firum?
Not a sea-change...I expect more like a configuration change for the forum. If there was no discussion anywhere (that does not sound like my Tesla friends) then the moderator may have changed it on his own. It frequently wouldn't load, and the attempts to do so tended to put a drain on my (battery powered) computer. I don't know if I miss it or not.

Small musing:

I thought that the moderators mentioned that a little while ago. They apparently had some technical issues with it, so it got dropped temporarily. The issue being on Yahoo's side, so whenever they fix that...

See http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44978-News-Feed-and-TSLA-Price-on-Investors-Forum-Gone

"Lunedì annunceremo un accordo che abbiamo raggiunto con Tesla, un'azienda che si è ricavata una posizione di leader nella costruzione di macchine elettriche e che da oltre un anno sta lavorando alla produzione di batterie elettriche ad uso domestico sviluppando le conoscenze messe a punto nella produzione di batterie per auto"

Translated:
"Monday we will announce a deal we have made with Tesla, a leader in the construction of electric cars that for more than a year has been working on the production of electric batteries for home use by developing the knowledge they have accumulated while producing car batteries".

Source: http://it.reuters.com/article/italianNews/idITL5N0XZ3EI20150508

I couldn't find a link to this announcement being made today. Has anyone else found it yet? Thanks for the heads up on it!

Great stuff. They don't hold back on their wording either:

Protecting dealers from abuses by manufacturers does not justify a blanket prohibition like that in the current Michigan law, which extends to all vehicle manufacturers, even those like Tesla and Elio who have no interest in entering into a franchise agreement with any dealer.

Absent some legitimate public purpose, consumers would be better served if the choice of distribution method were left to motor vehicle manufacturers and the consumers to whom they sell their products.

I bet the legal department at Tesla is well prepared to take this thing to the Federal courts or Supreme Court when the time is ripe?

I wish the FTC would recognize that the problem is also about service, not just sales. Here in New Mexico, the state bans Tesla from even providing service to existing customers. Thanks to self-serving protectionist legislation pushed by the New Mexico Automobile Dealers Association, a Tesla Model S owner cannot take their car to a Tesla Service Center anywhere in the state ... because by law there are none.

Just received a call from ETrade. They will be raising the margin requirement on TSLA from 50% to 90% this week.

For my understanding, this means that you used to be able to buy 100 shares at $240 if you had $12,000 margin available, but now you are only able to buy 55.55 shares with that same amount of margin?

Why change it and do you know what it has been historically?

For my understanding, this means that you used to be able to buy 100 shares at $240 if you had $12,000 margin available, but now you are only able to buy 55.55 shares with that same amount of margin?

Last time my broker (Interactive Brokers) had a margin change on Tesla is after the stock dropped 20-30% due to the f*res in November / December 2013. Haven't heard of any recent change in margin requirements at Interactive Brokers. Don't know why a broker would be changing margin requirements now...

Actually could help reduce the retail shorts as their margin requirements would go up too. And with the recent 33% rise in share price and the new 90% margin requirement, I can see a lot of forced covering if you are short.

Last time my broker (Interactive Brokers) had a margin change on Tesla is after the stock dropped 20-30% due to the f*res in November / December 2013. Haven't heard of any recent change in margin requirements at Interactive Brokers. Don't know why a broker would be changing margin requirements now...

Actually could help reduce the retail shorts as their margin requirements would go up too. And with the recent 33% rise in share price and the new 90% margin requirement, I can see a lot of forced covering if you are short.

And a lot of forced selling if you are long on margin.

Not sure why they're changing it now. Their risk management team apparently has their reasons. It's also unclear if this change is across the board or only for those with concentrated positions. TSLA is my only holding in this particular account. The rate has been 50% for as long as I've held TSLA in this account, which is early 2013.

This is my thinking. All things being equal, a widespread increase in margin requirements could catalyze a short squeeze as 100% of shorts are on margin compared to a relatively smaller % of longs.

Status
Not open for further replies.