Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you get this from? Would be good if you could provide a link. Thanks.

I received the information secondhand from a participant who was on the call and I have a high degree of confidence that the individual has the information accurate. Unfortunately, I cannot locate a recording of the call that is available to the public. Also, I'm curious as to why the journalists on the call did not publicize the detail that Tesla gave about order numbers. I haven't seen any article that references the delivery numbers as stated above.

I received the information secondhand from a participant who was on the call and I have a high degree of confidence that the individual has the information accurate. Unfortunately, I cannot locate a recording of the call that is available to the public. Also, I'm curious as to why the journalists on the call did not publicize the detail that Tesla gave about order numbers. I haven't seen any article that references the delivery numbers as stated above.
One of the articles linked on here over the last few days also mentioned these numbers from the call. I'm afraid I don't remember which article. It's good to have it confirmed by another source though.

Update: actually I think it was the Credit Suisse commentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tesla also disclosed that for Q2:
US orders were up 30% YOY, while the premium sedan category excluding Tesla was down 25%, meaning Tesla more than doubled its market share in the US
In Europe, orders grew roughly 60% in Q2
In Asia, orders doubled sequentially from Q1 to Q2'

I wonder why this wasn´t discussed here! Or did I miss something?

This makes the talk about the referral program being due to lack of demand quite senseless, doesn´t it? Maybe that was why it was suppressed in some news outlets so they could make a bear story out of it?

One technical detail though - US was up 30% YOY in Q2, Asia orders doubled from Q1 to Q2, that is clear, but Europe grew 60% in what timframe?

Last edited:
Referral program didn't have a conference call that I am aware of.
It's a weird that it wasn't more widely mentioned in the press, but Credit Suisse described it as a 'Reporters round-table'.

One technical detail though - US was up 20% YOY in Q2, Asia orders doubled from Q1 to Q2, that is clear, but Europe grew 60% in what timeframe?
Europe was also YOY, according to the Credit Suisse commentary on the referral programme.

I think it was a link with similar, but not the same numbers posted by Curt Renz few pages back:

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015 - Page 1031

O.k., the link thatCurt provided has text that is not identical to his quote, so it must have been changed later - it reads

Galves explained that evidence suggests Tesla is in fact seeing "strong" Model S demand and offered four bullet points to support his thesis:

• Based on Tesla's website, vehicles ordered today will be delivered in September, implying cars manufactured in the third quarter "appears nearly sold out."
  • Delivers has "accelerated" in Europe with second-quarter delivers up 13 percent versus the first quarter (ex. Norway, Model S deliveries were up over 40 percent).
  • A full quarter of availability of the lower-end S70D should result in "incremental global demand" in the third quarter.
  • Tesla CEO Elon Musk said at a reporters roundtable event that during the second quarter Model S orders in North America grew 30 percent year-over-year and grew 60 percent year-over-year in Europe. He also said that Asian deliveries doubled from the first quarter.

That is exactly what Blurry posted, and also clarifies my question above (Europe orders are up 60% YOY)

Great!

I think the only big factor different here is that even though the Model S has undergone huge improvements since release, the Model X may have some incredible features not yet on the Model S. The bleeding-edge newness factor may influence a number of buyers who normally would prefer a Sedan, not to mention the Model S already has more storage space than most SUVs on the road today.

Don't forget it's going to be essentially self-driving on the freeway, that alone seems like a pretty big thing. And if they can rig the air suspension to give it decent clearance it could off-road as well as a Jeep.

Don't forget it's going to be essentially self-driving on the freeway, that alone seems like a pretty big thing. And if they can rig the air suspension to give it decent clearance it could off-road as well as a Jeep.

In terms of off roading the low battery is probably going to get in the way, but I really think that tesla sees this as a road vehicle first, second and probably third with maybe more clearance to help in deeper snow. I think that the lux suv category sales (X5, Q7...) really isn't driven by off road capability - although a minimum level of competence is needed to qualify.

My opinion is that Model X uptake is really going to be about the interior space and configuration. I think there is a real chance that we may see a real luxury second row option (w/o 3rd row) as well as a much better third row option than the X5 and Q7.

And I am of the strong opinion that we will get the launch in next 6 weeks

No vehicle is really off road capable off the showroom floor, dirt roads yes but not true off road. The model S will handle dirt roads so the X will be fine. What I see happen with luxury SUV's is once they have lost a significant portion of their value then the off road crowd picks them up and modify starting with adding protection to the underbody (skids/sliders and bumpers). This same protection could be added to the X by aftermarket companies.

I have an old 1994 Landcruiser that was 55k new, I bought it used for $4500 about 4 years ago and have put 3-4k into making it more off road worthy. It wouldn't do much better than an X off the lot and it is a legendary off road SUV. This will be the only ice vehicle I hang onto, it's driven less than 100 miles a month for towing, dogs, cargo and when I need space for 8.

One technical detail though - US was up 20% YOY in Q2, Asia orders doubled from Q1 to Q2, that is clear, but Europe grew 60% in what timframe?

US DELIVERIES were up 20%. Elon is quoted as saying ORDERS are up 30%. For those facts to be reconcilable, either US backlog should have increased in Q2 (which I don't think happened)...or it must have decreased during Q2 2014. It's also possible Elon misspoke at what seems to have been an informal event, or that he was misquoted.

US DELIVERIES were up 20%. Elon is quoted as saying ORDERS are up 30%. For those facts to be reconcilable, either US backlog should have increased in Q2 (which I don't think happened)...or it must have decreased during Q2 2014. It's also possible Elon misspoke at what seems to have been an informal event, or that he was misquoted.

Did I miss something? Where did he say deliveries were up 20%? That seems remarkably low considering global deliveries were up more than 50% in q2 yoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.