Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that Tesla is going to miss the 50k mark which will be consecutive yearly misses. I think Elon may reduce yearly target to 48-51k in q3 call. Current target is possible, but does not seem realistic considering the way Model X is being released.

I'll test market for us folks.

I'm picking up the used 2015 under 2000 mile Model S 70D Tuesday. It was delivered 3 months ago to a retail customer with a sticker price of $92,200. Back out the $7,500 tax credit and you get $84,700 for anyone who orders a new car today. As a licensed Florida dealer since 1993 I'll advertise the car for $83k and see what happens. If we get zero calls and are force to lower the price I would say the market of a like new or new Model S is thin. If it sells right away... well, you know what that means.

He has said that Tesla will increase sales at an average of 50% per year for the foreseeable future. 4Q 2015 and all of 2016 will both be above that average due to the introduction of a new vehicle, which doubles their fleet. Model S sales will most likely be around 47K, but since they are produced on two separate assembly lines, you can count on higher than 47K total vehicle deliveries for 2015, unless there's an unpredicted setback in the production ramp.

2017 on the other hand will most likely be a year that falls lower than the 50% average because it's simply hard to sell 115K vehicles close to $100K per car. Almost all of the current X backlog will be met in 2016, so the following year will need completely new customers and I just don't see a 50% increase from 2016 (unless you really see significant M3 sales, if any at all.)

I agree with you. My point is the short term story is in place when grounded in reality. Elon exercises some crazy mathematics that make the short term more volatile than necessary. For example, everyone would be bullish if Elon spoke the reality that 31,655 x 1.50 was actually 2015 guidance. Meaning if he he guided 47,500 for 2015, we'd be going bonkers, Etc.

I'd wager 2016 guidance is north of 75K when it should be "68K to 72K"

Anyway, in the short term, I believe Wall Street does not punish Tesla for missing 2015 guidance. Because they see the 20K to 25K X reservations at an ASP around $110K, which is $2.75 Billion.

In the short term tesla needs all hands on deck to ramp production up to 1,500 to 2,000 cars a week.

I feel that Tesla is going to miss the 50k mark which will be consecutive yearly misses. I think Elon may reduce yearly target to 48-51k in q3 call. Current target is possible, but does not seem realistic considering the way Model X is being released.

I agree. While I would like to think we get over 50K deliveries realize a lot of pieces have to come together to deliver close to 17K cars in Q4. I agree that demand is not an issue....but TM has to produce and deliver 50% more cars in Q4 than Q3. I think they may be able to produce that number but then they have to ship and have enough staff to deliver them to customers. I know my local SC can get overwhelmed delivery wise so increase their load by 50%....maybe...but just maybe.

Joel may be right that 'the street' will not care if they deliver 47=48K or if guidance is reduced to that level at the Q3 CC......but TSLA has been punished for quite less. It will be an interesting couple weeks.

I agree. While I would like to think we get over 50K deliveries realize a lot of pieces have to come together to deliver close to 17K cars in Q4. I agree that demand is not an issue....but TM has to produce and deliver 50% more cars in Q4 than Q3. I think they may be able to produce that number but then they have to ship and have enough staff to deliver them to customers. I know my local SC can get overwhelmed delivery wise so increase their load by 50%....maybe...but just maybe.

Joel may be right that 'the street' will not care if they deliver 47=48K or if guidance is reduced to that level at the Q3 CC......but TSLA has been punished for quite less. It will be an interesting couple weeks.

I respectfully disagree. The second production line is up and operating. The line can produce either the X or the S. Demand has picked up for the S since the X launch. We've seen on other threads that VINs for the S are being assigned at a more rapid pace. It seems plausible that they can meet or exceed the 50k number by the EOY. I do agree that a slight miss might not matter when there is such a backlog for the X.

Regardless of whether or not Tesla meets guidance (I happen to think they will), the 100,000th cumulative Model S delivery is in the bag for Q4 and will probably happen around Thanksgiving. Should make for a nice headline, I'm very much looking forward to that milestone.

Theoretically, if I have wife and kids at my current situation. I want them to be driving that tank. This is the car that you buy your family to ensure your genes gets passed down.

The demand will be there, it will just take the rest of the population a while to realize why. Now if I can get a falcon wing door on my Model 3... I'd pay $75k for it.

Please no Caus! That will delay it till 2019:wink:

Elon's on a twitter bender rivaling the time he was on meds from minor outpatient surgery. Much promoting & clarifying re X (like what happens in rain), and a pretty strong hint that there will be a battery bigger than 70 kWh in about 12 months as entry model. Perhaps given demand for the 90 kWh version, it will be all they sell for the X until something somewhat bigger than the 70 is out.

Too many tweets to post, but here's a link to his feed.

Tweets with replies by Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

Tesla falls just shy of electric car deliveries in third quarter - Fortune

"Tesla falls just shy of electric car deliveries for the third quarter" "expected to make 12,000 cars in the third quarter"

How are so many sources so uninformed all the time? Pretty annoying but humorous at the same time. When will we get production numbers by the way?

I commented to the article and tweeted the author. She apologized and corrected both the article and headline.

So I just listened to a piece at the Motley Fool on the Model X launch where their senior technical editor (or whatever) phoned in and reported on the launch the morning after. Now, as always, we know how inaccurate journalists can be, but the interview seemed to demonstrate these guys got their facts straight on Tesla, so I am inclined to believe this:

The reporter phoning in said Musk told journalists on site that the reason they are still a bit unsure about Q4 is mostly due to 2 suppliers. They need the supplier of the windshield and the supplier of the second row seats to ramp production quickly enough, but he was very confident in the capabilities of Tesla's own Production Line 2. He said something like "tell me how fast these 2 suppliers will ramp and I tell you how many cars we'll produce in Q4".

So for what it's worth, a tiny bit more information for us to wonder about.
That makes sense because it was in the last conf. Call that Elon said they would have no issues and that if they were to get behind, it was because of a supplier.

Tesla is WAY past the real test.

No, they aren't. Everything they've done so far is just preparation and practice for Model 3. That's what they've been aiming to do from the beginning. The real test is whether they can indeed put millions of electric vehicles on the road, either themselves or by inspiring others.

I'd say they have achieved a couple of subgoals, and done so beautifully (albeit later than they wanted to). But yes, the real test lies ahead. Personally, I'm convinced they will pass that test with flying colors, but I won't be surprised if they're a year late.

I'm just sick of people saying, "Yes, but the real test comes...."

How many ridiculous times over the last 8 years have you read or heard that?

Tesla is WAY past the real test. In fact, the real test is how any other company will catch up to Tesla!
Come on, don't tell me you haven't gotten used to this yet... We are closing in on 100k Model S delivered but we still occasionally hear the demand FUD.
I always smile when some of you post stuff like "at last when such and such happens they will finally stop the FUD about...". No, they won't. Take for example our friend Paulo Santos. I stopped reading his articles a while ago, so I only get the headlines, but every time one of his nonsense FUD pieces is proven wrong by actual numbers, he writes up a "OK, but what about..." article.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon's on a twitter bender rivaling the time he was on meds from minor outpatient surgery. Much promoting & clarifying re X (like what happens in rain), and a pretty strong hint that there will be a battery bigger than 70 kWh in about 12 months as entry model. Perhaps given demand for the 90 kWh version, it will be all they sell for the X until something somewhat bigger than the 70 is out.

Too many tweets to post, but here's a link to his feed.

Tweets with replies by Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

Thanks, it was a good read! I am following him on Twitter but I always forget about my Twitter app, lol.

IT was very interesting how he replied to one of the comments that "...there will be a Model 3 and a Model Y...". First of all, that is another confirmation on the "Y" model name, but more importantly it does not sound like they are working on the Model 3 and somewhere down the line they will evaluate/start Model Y. It may very well be Y could be just a short time behind 3. They surely won't overcomplicate Y like they did X. It is also a cheaper model so no need for out of this world solutions.

If you think the X is selling well, wait for Y. I would go out on a limb saying it will eclipse Model 3 sales.

No, they aren't. Everything they've done so far is just preparation and practice for Model 3. That's what they've been aiming to do from the beginning. The real test is whether they can indeed put millions of electric vehicles on the road, either themselves or by inspiring others.

I'd say they have achieved a couple of subgoals, and done so beautifully (albeit later than they wanted to). But yes, the real test lies ahead. Personally, I'm convinced they will pass that test with flying colors, but I won't be surprised if they're a year late.

I fundamentally disagree. They have absolutely proven you can produce a better car that people will buy over the same product class ICE. God forbid they fail, the company would be fought over and continued on with the foundation they laid. As opposed to every other effort that went by the wayside. I mean really, what did Wanxiang get when they bought Fisker? They didn't even keep the name! I feel it is the opposite, they passed the test with the Model S, everything after that is validation. I won't drone on with the second and third tier accomplishments, but here are a few barriers they hammered.

* No marketing. If you proposed this as a concept 10 years ago in any board room of an established car company you would have been demoted or fired. Now that is a primary subject I'm sure.
* No dealership franchises. The delivery process alone over the current 4-6 hour dealership grind version will convert you forever as a buyer.
* Worldwide energy supply infrastructure. At least 90% of the people I ask have no clue it's out there! Ask a few people you meet behind cash registers or waiters.
* Touch screen implementation, that 17" screen is the crown jewel. Now every other competitor will "look" like Tesla at a glance. They are the standard and when others use it, they just copy cats now. How do you make your 10-20" screen look different. From here on out the comment will always be, "oh, that looks just like a Tesla." You've seen the Dodge with one, right? What did it remind you of instantly?
* Performance unrivaled. While common for me as a car nut / gear head, the overwhelming majority of people have NEVER been in a car that accelerates over .75 g's let alone 1.2! When they experience this personally in a 5-8 year old used car with 300k miles for $25k, the foundation of what Tesla has done will settle in.

I have 30+ year relationships with dealer principals who don't have a clue what Tesla has accomplished. 300 of them subscribe to our dealer to dealer trading platform so I have their ear daily. Wednesday I emailed all of them the link for the MX reveal. Less than 10% even watched it. These are individuals who make $1MM -$20MM a year who have tremendous respect for as businessmen. They are constrained by the media material which is against Tesla. Their media sources of course provide a non-objective bias and no real basis for the product or company. So many people are going to be blind sided in 3-5 years at how fast this is move. The transportation industry has officially changed (for the better) forever.

The proper statement moving forward is: Another test will be...

The real test is over.

Of course, IMHO:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.