Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

How does Bosch want to make money on this? Why not work directly with Tesla providing development services, software and components? It seems most of this can be embedded within Tesla's architecture plus maybe a few more sensors. You don't need a robot to drive a Tesla. It's already a programmable car.

Additionally, regarding liability, I think developers of autonomous vehicles should simply accept the liability for any self-directed actions of the vehicle and charge a monthly premium to cover the insurance. If the system is well designed and provides good data for litigation, then there will be few claims and very few lost cases, far fewer than with human drivers. The insurance will cover these claims while programmers and engineers improve the system to reduce errors. Developers that minimize these errors will have a cost advantage over competitors.

To wit, Tesla could disrupt the auto insurance industry, as if it needed yet another industry to disrupt.

Last edited:
How does Bosch want to make money on this? Why not work directly with Tesla providing development services, software and components? It seems most of this can be embedded within Tesla's architecture plus maybe a few more sensors. You don't need a robot to drive a Tesla. It's already a programmable car.

The key is that Bosch (and Google for that matter) insist on "all or nothing" approach and use expensive LIDAR (thousands of $ per car), while Tesla is much more practical in their approach. Tesla does not insist on "robotic" car in some distant future; they will settle to autopilot covering tedious parts of driving by the end of this year. The hardware required for Tesla autopilot is much less expensive, and provides functionality now, with steady gradual additions with time (forward looking radar and camera and ultrasonic sensors). This is clearly a winning strategy, because by the time LIDAR becomes less than prohibitively expensive Tesla will have hundreds of thousands of cars roaming around the globe with autopilot.

BTW, the remarkable part about Tesla hardware is that it was added to all cars *without* any price increase, all the while gross margins were continuing to rise, in spite of unfavorable forex...

- - - Updated - - -

Nice movement going into the Holiday weekend. Surprised with the volume in the last 20 minutes - 30K share spikes shown on level 2 without any news feed during the time frame.

I think that this is usual Friday's shenanigans between the option writers and holders, each of them see an opportunity to manipulate price rather cheaply due to the light pre-holiday volume. What is surprising this time around is that usually victorious option writers seem to be beaten back today - they clearly were trying to drive price toward $245, but are failing so far...

The key is that Bosch (and Google for that matter) insist on "all or nothing" approach and use expensive LIDAR (thousands of $ per car), while Tesla is much more practical in their approach. Tesla does not insist on "robotic" car in some distant future; they will settle to autopilot covering tedious parts of driving by the end of this year. The hardware required for Tesla autopilot is much less expensive, and provides functionality now, with steady gradual additions with time (forward looking radar and camera and ultrasonic sensors). This is clearly a winning strategy, because by the time LIDAR becomes less than prohibitively expensive Tesla will have hundreds of thousands of cars roaming around the globe with autopilot.

BTW, the remarkable part about Tesla hardware is that it was added to all cars *without* any price increase, all the while gross margins were continuing to rise, in spite of unfavorable forex...

- - - Updated - - -

I think that this is usual Friday's shenanigans between the option writers and holders, each of them see an opportunity to manipulate price rather cheaply due to the light pre-holiday volume. What is surprising this time around is that usually victorious option writers seem to be beaten back today - they clearly were trying to drive price toward $245, but are failing so far...

Personally, I'd love to finish above 247 after the option people are done playing around! Thanks for the explanation, I could not figure out why the strong volume at the end of the day. Makes total sense now.

Personally, I'd love to finish above 247 after the option people are done playing around! Thanks for the explanation, I could not figure out why the strong volume at the end of the day. Makes total sense now.

My bet is that we'll close above $247.5

- - - Updated - - -

My bet is that we'll close above $247.5

...and done - $247.73. I believe this bodes very well for next Tuesday.

Nice ending to the day

Ending significantly above max pain is always good.

Have a great weekend everyone, and for those in the U.S., happy Memorial Day. I will be thinking of those that have sacrificed their limbs and/or their lives for a better tomorrow and those that are in harms way.

Yeah, I get Tesla's strategy on this. What I don't get is Bosch's strategy. If you want to get the price of LIDAR down, then you have to engage a path down the experience curve. That means you have to find applications where you can scale production and drive manufacturing efficiencies. So I Bosch is going to hold out for the fully autonomous vehicle to scale LIDAR, then it won't happen anytime soon. And yet, to Tesla's strategy, lower cost sensors are adequate for less than fully autonomous autopilot. So it is a really tricky problem for a LIDAR maker. They need to find the right niche applications that can make profitable use of these sensors today. Closed loop transport systems like shuttles from parking lot to airport terminal may be a good start. Another risk here for LIDAR is that clever software plus cheap hardware may trump the need for expensive hardware. Tesla's strategy wins in this case, but even if not, there is little loss to waiting until expensive hardware becomes cheaper. So either way, I do not see Tesla getting disrupted by LIDAR makers. Tesla can easily integrate LIDAR into their cars when it become economical to do so. So again, I do not really grasp what Bosch aims to get out of this demonstration.

jhm said:

Jim and Vger - do you two know something I don't? What on earth makes you think TM & Bosch aren't​ working together?

Jim and Vger - do you two know something I don't? What on earth makes you think TM & Bosch aren't​ working together?

Good question. That was my inference from reading the article. Bosch had stripped down the car and added alot of new hardware including a computer. My take is that if they were working with Tesla, then they would just program the computers that already read the sensors and control the vehicle. Any additional sensors could be brought into this native platform. This feels a bit like building a robot to manually type into a keyboard so that you could say that the robot is operating my PC. The Model S is a digital car. You control it through software.

Elon s while ago explained why they will *not* be using LIDAR, unlike Google. Perhaps this is the piece that you are missing, along with what jhm explained in his post.

BTW, there is a TMC member Vger, I am not him.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I get Tesla's strategy on this. What I don't get is Bosch's strategy. Tesla can easily integrate LIDAR into their cars when it become economical to do so. So again, I do not really grasp what Bosch aims to get out of this demonstration.

relevance :smile:

Elon s while ago explained why they will *not* be using LIDAR, unlike Google. Perhaps this is the piece that you are missing, along with what jhm explained in his post.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure Tesla is putting it's faith in Mobile Eye which doesn't believe in fancy sensors, just cameras.

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies to the two Vs.

I wonder if TM could use the most appropriate parts of Bosch's and Mobileye's offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.